gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:56:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surviving audio/video/photo documentation of The BBs vs. other bands  (Read 4719 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »

Unfortunately (and fortunately at the same time), an live audio boxed set would be probably a thousand times easier and cheaper for them to do.

With video, there are costs of licensing the footage if BRI doesn't own it, and then huge sync fees for the actual songs themselves. (This is surely one of the reasons releases like Knebworth 1980 and even the C50 Blu-ray don't include the full setlists). BRI might be able to skate by only using footage they own, but they'd still have those song clearance fees.

With audio, the royalty rates are all flat, and BRI owns everything in their vault. Plus there's a ton more audio compared to video available.

There are some roadblocks to doing a big video set, though it's very doable (look at Eagle Vision and all of the "legacy" bands they're working with on new and old stuff). Meanwhile, there's really no reason they shouldn't have already opened up the vaults on the audio side of things in terms of live shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »

Unfortunately (and fortunately at the same time), an live audio boxed set would be probably a thousand times easier and cheaper for them to do.

With video, there are costs of licensing the footage if BRI doesn't own it, and then huge sync fees for the actual songs themselves. (This is surely one of the reasons releases like Knebworth 1980 and even the C50 Blu-ray don't include the full setlists). BRI might be able to skate by only using footage they own, but they'd still have those song clearance fees.

With audio, the royalty rates are all flat, and BRI owns everything in their vault. Plus there's a ton more audio compared to video available.

There are some roadblocks to doing a big video set, though it's very doable (look at Eagle Vision and all of the "legacy" bands they're working with on new and old stuff). Meanwhile, there's really no reason they shouldn't have already opened up the vaults on the audio side of things in terms of live shows.

I know there are concerns about licensing, but isn't it funny that other legacy artists seem to have no issues footing the bill to release a new DVD for almost every tour? 

I know the BB C50 shows were 45-50 songs each, as opposed to a 20-25 song set by most other artists, but just sounds cheap to me. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »

I've read into this topic quite a bit in the past. One interesting general piece of information I picked up is that music video releases (meaning for home video) generally aren't big sellers.

If the Stones or Who release a full show, it may be that they sell better and can afford to clear the songs. Also, if a band *owns* the copyrights to their own songs, or at least a lot of them, they can essentially license them back to themselves (or the company releasing the video) for whatever they want.

As we know, the BBs don't own the copyrights to most of their hits. Brother does have the publishing on some of the later stuff. But between early hits where non-BB/BRI entities have to be negotiated with, and cover versions (Chuck Berry, etc.), it probably isn't cheap to clear 61 songs to release a Royal Albert Hall 2012 video.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »

The Beach Boys are definitely not alone when it comes to pro shot live footage.  

For as big as they were, there is little to no pro shot live stuff of Pink Floyd between 1972-1980.  And for some reason, they're sitting on pro shot footage of concerts from The Wall tour.  

Led Zeppelin released a DVD set of live footage from the 1970s, including a full show from 1970, and apparently, there's not much out there of them.  

Even Van Halen, who debuted just three years before 1981, don't have much with the original lineup.  To this day, there has never been a legit video concert with David Lee Roth on vocals released.  

Those are just big time names that spring to mind.  

Thanks, KDS. Those are some of the facts I was more or less looking for.

What a bummer it is, in hindsight, that these bands were so under-documented. It's quite strange when one thinks about it. I guess it would have taken a hardcore fanbase who just happened to be interested in taping (like The Dead) for the tides to have turned in a different direction. Although, even with The Dead, I wonder how much actual "pro shot" (non fan-made) stuff there is out there from the 60s-70s compared to The BBs and the other bands you mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:18:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »

There's a pretty decent amount of *audio* that exists. BRI has a good amount of multi-track and soundboard recordings, along with soundboard and radio broadcast tapes that circulate. And there are some pretty obscure audience recordings out there as well with some rare/weird stuff, like the Mike-less 1990 show in Canada, the gigs with Brian in 1970, etc.

BRI may have more in-house video feed items in their vault than we know about, especially from the late 70s through to the 90s.

There have long been rumors of Fillmore and Winterland in-house video feeds from the early 70s existing, as Bill Graham captured video of a lot of those shows. There are probably some grails from the early 70s we haven't seen.

That France show from 1969 that is sold on a French website is a pretty revelatory for showcasing that era. I think there's that Unicef concert that exists from late 1967?

Unfortunately, I don't know of any evidence that the Central Park 1971 or London 1972 raw footage still exists, and in the EH documentary you can tell they didn't even have access any longer to the master videotapes of the broadcast portion of that '71 show, as the footage looks much better in the old "An American Band" documentary.

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »

They are just an old, old group which pre-dated much modern technology and then later on did not have the sense or opportunity to exploit it when it became available.  And really just a period of dire public disinterest anyway from 67 to 70 probably no kind of promo or media coverage could have helped them much then.  I have always thought the BBs to have been very poorly managed as a business, even when they were at the height of their popularity.  As individuals they did not seem to have a sense of awareness as to how to promote themselves....always seemed to me a little family band that accidentally almost got humongous based upon their music mostly and also association with the huge surfing fad of the early sixties.  They were on a label that early on did not understand youth culture or its music, even did not promote the Beatles very early on (American Capitol).  So the label was not helpful, the family management was not helpful and again, by being early on the music scene they suffered from not having the marketing infrastructure to promote them successfully.  Not that any of the other groups from that time period were especially well managed either...just must have been assumed they were all going to go away pretty quickly...and many of them did!

Count me as one who thinks they should have done a name change at some point...to this day they are not taken seriously by many based upon the name alone...
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 10:12:13 AM »

You guys and gals think there is somebody at BRI who would want my SUPER8 footage from the 70's? Do they have a go-to archive guy I could contact? It isn't that great, but you get "The Love You Tour", "Ricky and Blondie" Oh yeah and that drummer guy Dennis! I went to Brother Studios and toured around, without the Beach Boys, and took a picture of the front. It seems to be the only picture ever taken of the place! Cant believe it! It was Holy ground to me, wish I taken pictures inside! You can see the photo on the Brother Studios Wikipedia page!

Cook pork throughly
KDS
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 05:29:40 AM »

The Beach Boys are definitely not alone when it comes to pro shot live footage.  

For as big as they were, there is little to no pro shot live stuff of Pink Floyd between 1972-1980.  And for some reason, they're sitting on pro shot footage of concerts from The Wall tour.  

Led Zeppelin released a DVD set of live footage from the 1970s, including a full show from 1970, and apparently, there's not much out there of them.  

Even Van Halen, who debuted just three years before 1981, don't have much with the original lineup.  To this day, there has never been a legit video concert with David Lee Roth on vocals released.  

Those are just big time names that spring to mind.  

Thanks, KDS. Those are some of the facts I was more or less looking for.

What a bummer it is, in hindsight, that these bands were so under-documented. It's quite strange when one thinks about it. I guess it would have taken a hardcore fanbase who just happened to be interested in taping (like The Dead) for the tides to have turned in a different direction. Although, even with The Dead, I wonder how much actual "pro shot" (non fan-made) stuff there is out there from the 60s-70s compared to The BBs and the other bands you mentioned.

I think part of the reason is that home video didn't exist yet.  It's hard to believe but, there was a time when concert films were shown in movie theaters. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx