gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:26:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis on REELZ TV  (Read 18357 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »

3/18/17  08:00 PM

Autopsy: The Last Hours of...

Dennis Wilson   

Dennis Wilson was the golden boy drummer for the Beach Boys. His good looks, adrenaline junkie attitude and musical prowess made him one of the great heart throbs of rock and roll. But how did an avid surfer end up drowning in less than 15 feet of water? Forensic Pathologist Dr. Michael Hunter examines Dennis's autopsy report to dispel the rumours, and reveal the real cause of the drummer's tragic and untimely death at the age of 39.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »

Thanks, Ed. Will not miss this. I was wondering when his story would be featured.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:11:13 PM »

I hope they repeat this on the following Sunday or Monday, since I'lll be out of town that Saturday with no access to Reelz and I don't have a dvr. DAMN!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »

I gotta set my DVR....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »

Hurry Billy....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »

I am going a hockey game that night. But I will back before 10:00 to watch this event my idol on Reelz TV, I am going nuts Like Dennis Wilson Right now

I had a fast Life
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »

Hurry Billy....
I got 11 days LOL

Nah, will do it when I get home

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »

Really looking forward to this, Ed!  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:52:26 AM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »

I find it really ironic that ABC is doing that documentary the night before this show, too.  Two nights in a row of Dennis on TV, maybe not for the best reasons, but you do know what they say about publicity...  And anything that helps to draw more attention to his music, right?
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »

Beach Boy Dennis Wilson’s Death Examined On Upcoming Episode Of ‘Autopsy’
MUSIC NEWS March 10, 2017 ,

Autopsy: The Last Hours Of. . . Dennis Wilson will air on the Reelz network on March 18th at 8:00 p.m. The special examines Beach Boy Dennis Wilson’s premature death at age 39, following years of substance abuse issues. Wilson’s autopsy report is examined by forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Hunter — with Wilson’s life discussed by Beach Boys co-founder David Marks, Wilson’s partner and best friend Ed Roach, and biographer Jon Stebbins. Check your local listings for stations.

Beach Boy David Marks grew up across the street from Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson in Hawthorne, California and shed light on what Dennis was like in his formative years: “Well, Dennis, everyone loved Dennis because he. . . he always made people feel like they were special. No matter who you were, or whatever. Y’know, the bum on the street — Dennis made him feel special. But on the other hand, you never knew what to expect from him. He could, just at the same time, punch you in the stomach for no reason. But, usually, he would beat kids up for a reason. He usually had a reason, y’know? And most of the time it was protecting Carl and me from, y’know, bullies. That’s when he usually stepped in to fight.”

Dennis Wilson drowned on December 28th, 1983, in Marina Del Rey, California just weeks after his 39th birthday.

http://www.wxhc.com/?p=26013
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 07:27:12 PM »

Here's the full, unedited piece that ran in my syndicated feed. . .

BEACH BOY DENNIS WILSON'S DEATH EXAMINED ON UPCOMING EPISODE OF 'AUTOPSY' - (03/09/2017)

Autopsy: The Last Hours Of. . . Dennis Wilson will air on the Reelz network on March 18th at 8:00 p.m. The special examines Beach Boy Dennis Wilson's premature death at age 39, following years of substance abuse issues. Wilson's autopsy report is examined by forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Hunter -- with Wilson's life discussed by Beach Boys co-founder David Marks, Wilson's partner and best friend Ed Roach, and biographer Jon Stebbins. Check your local listings for stations.

Beach Boy David Marks grew up across the street from Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson in Hawthorne, California and shed light on what Dennis was like in his formative years: “Well, Dennis, everyone loved Dennis because he. . . he always made people feel like they were special. No matter who you were, or whatever. Y’know, the bum on the street -- Dennis made him feel special. But on the other hand, you never knew what to expect from him. He could, just at the same time, punch you in the stomach for no reason. But, usually, he would beat kids up for a reason. He usually had a reason, y’know? And most of the time it was protecting Carl and me from, y’know, bullies. That’s when he usually stepped in to fight.”

Recently released is Son Of A Beach Boy, co-written by Dennis Wilson's oldest child, Scott Wilson. Although he idolized his dad, Scott Wilson -- now a proud father of two daughters -- explained that structure was not one of Dennis' attributes as a parent. We asked him how Dennis Wilson -- an incorrigible boy-man -- would discipline his own child: “He doesn’t. He never did. He laughed. He joked. ‘Scotty, get it together. Mom’s not happy. Come on, let’s go have a good time.' There’s a lot of stuff in my book about me going on tour with him and Terry Melcher, to Canada, to Hawaii, across the States, Charles Manson leaving a bullet for me, threatening to kill me. So on and so forth. It’s all in there. I didn’t sugarcoat nothin.’”

Dennis Wilson drowned on December 28th, 1983, in Marina Del Rey, California just weeks after his 39th birthday.

DID YOU KNOW???

In recent years, it's come to light that Dennis Wilson's greatest success was in co-writing the Joe Cocker hit "You Are So Beautiful" with Billy Preston in 1974, for which he did not receive a credit.

Witnesses who were there the night the song was written have gone on record claiming that Dennis contributed integral portions to "You Are So Beautiful".

Dennis went on to perform the song at nearly every Beach Boys show, starting in 1975, and told numerous people that he indeed did co-write the song.

FAST FACTS

Back in November, Beach Boys fans were in for a thrill during the final scene and end credits of Sarah Jessica Parker's new hit HBO drama Divorce, when Dennis Wilson's melancholy voice brought the episode to a close.

The song, "You And I," has long been beloved by fans of Wilson's breathtaking 1977 solo debut, Pacific Ocean Blue, which features the chorus of "no more lonely nights" -- a song that undoubtedly inspired none other than Paul McCartney seven years later for his 1984 Top 10 hit using those same four words.

"You And I," which Wilson co-wrote with then-wife Karen Lamm and longtime collaborator Gregg Jakobson, can be found on the critically acclaimed expanded 2008 reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue, which is now paired with Wilson's long unreleased second solo set, Bambu.

Although it failed to chart at the time, "You And I" served as the second single pulled from Pacific Ocean Blue.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »

Although it failed to chart at the time, "You And I" served as the second single pulled from Pacific Ocean Blue.
"You and I/Friday Night" was the only single in the U.S.

"River Song/Farewell My Friend" was the UK and European single.

Thanks to Ed and Howie for the update and promo on the TV show.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »

Loving the write-up about Denny in this thread.  I hope can find this documentary online.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGMmmemkPPg
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »

Thanks for all the updates on this!  Smiley
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 04:10:15 AM »

Will this be shown on the UK does anyone know?
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:52:18 PM »

did anyone watch this? i cant get REELZ tv and cant find it online anywhere. Curious if anyone saw it?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »

did anyone watch this? i cant get REELZ tv and cant find it online anywhere. Curious if anyone saw it?

Ditto here - I hope someone captured the video, since it's not apparently available online on the official Reelz site :/ I'd happily sit through some advertisements to be able to stream it if Reelz would get with the program...
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »

I'm sure it'll be available to to watch via YouTube soon, if not uploaded via a stream site.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 02:30:46 PM »

It looks as if this will re-air on REELZ on March 22 - at least up here in the northeast with Xfinity. It is on channel 340 at 9:00pm...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »

It looks as if this will re-air on REELZ on March 22 - at least up here in the northeast with Xfinity. It is on channel 340 at 9:00pm...

I don't get cable - it would be SO choice if someone could record this somehow (pretty please!)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »

This is being rebroadcast n the north Jersey area on Wednesday night March 22nd at 9 o'clock and later again that evening. Channel 177 on Optimum
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »

I saw it. The program focused mainly on determining just what caused Dennis' death. Went through various scenarios, debunking most of them, including foul play or suicide.
The coroner guy made his own determination after studying the autopsy report. Don't know if anyone wants to know his answer (if anyone would consider it to be a "spoiler"). It's a fairly rare cause of death.
Good commentary by Ed Roach and Jon Stebbins.

One thing mentioned that I only knew of from reading Scott Wilson's book, although I assume long time BB fans already knew this: Dennis had a panic attack/breakdown while on tour, was sent home and was hospitalized briefly. Does anyone know when this took place?
Also, autopsy report indicated that Dennis had numerous old scars throughout his body. The coroner guy surmised that these scars came from Murry.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »

I saw it. The program focused mainly on determining just what caused Dennis' death.

Sounds horrible.

Give me the BBC doc from 2008 any day.

https://youtu.be/ClBfaGPD0mI
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »

One thing mentioned that I only knew of from reading Scott Wilson's book, although I assume long time BB fans already knew this: Dennis had a panic attack/breakdown while on tour, was sent home and was hospitalized briefly. Does anyone know when this took place?

I hadn't heard about Dennis having a panic attack. Brian's similar attack is well known, of course, maybe because it fits better with his image as the fragile member of the group. I had always thought Dennis's issues with growing up with Murry manifested themselves differently.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:09 AM »

Watched the show last night on Reelz....interesting, particularly the feedback from Eddie and John. I thought their commentary on Dennis, while revealing relatively little new information, provided more of a "real" element and made the show feel very authentic. The actor who portrayed Dennis really had little resemblance to him, at that stage of his life. The re enactments of what lead up to Denny's death felt a bit strained. Would have enjoyed more of a panel interview with folks from that time. But considering Denny's death occurred almost 34 years ago, and we're still talking about it and watching shows like this really attest to how so many of us are still touched by Dennis. Great job Eddie and John, and all others who participated on this event. The doctor who performed the autopsy review seemed genuine, and I was glad they quickly eliminated thins like foul play etc....which seemed a bit ridiculous.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx