gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:02:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Letterman gives a shout-out to Al Jardine  (Read 8485 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »

I miss David Letterman so much! Our local TV always broadcast his Late Night Show 1/2 days after it had been done in the US. I found his monologue fabulous. Hear this elderly gentleman, elegant and white haired, say such off the wall things (some good satire, with a lot of pure farce), always made me laugh, and a lot. Ditto the interventions by Paul Shaffer, minus the white hair. Smiley
The interview section depended much on the interviewee, of course, but some were fantastic. And the guy with all those strange animals...
All in all, it was my fav TV show.

I was a huge Letterman fan in the 1990s.  This was around the time he went from NBC to CBS, and the 1130p timeslot made it easier for me to catch him.  I think it was E! that also showed his NBC reruns at this time too.  I even got a few of the Top Ten List books they put out. 

Over the years, I think Dave grew a little redundant, and I think his comedy got lazy at times.  That said, past his prime Letterman was still much better than what passes for late night shows today.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 06:07:15 AM »

Shortly before the official start of my fandom, I remember watching a clip where Letterman went to that deli next door from the studio and made a comment about one of the patrons (who was wearing a Hawaiian shirt) having graduated from the "Al Jardine School of Fashion". Of course, when I got into the band , I got the joke.
Didn't Mike wear Hawaiian shirts? He wore it more frequently than Al.

As to recent quip, I'm glad Al gets recognition - don't you ever call him poor. That's derogatory, he's anything but poor, being the best voice in the BBs, singing lead in their hit "Help Me Rhonda" & ultimately being in American band No. 1.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 06:29:39 AM »

I miss David Letterman so much! Our local TV always broadcast his Late Night Show 1/2 days after it had been done in the US. I found his monologue fabulous. Hear this elderly gentleman, elegant and white haired, say such off the wall things (some good satire, with a lot of pure farce), always made me laugh, and a lot. Ditto the interventions by Paul Shaffer, minus the white hair. Smiley
The interview section depended much on the interviewee, of course, but some were fantastic. And the guy with all those strange animals...

I was a huge Letterman fan in the 1990s.  This was around the time he went from NBC to CBS, and the 1130p timeslot made it easier for me to catch him.  I think it was E! that also showed his NBC reruns at this time too.  I even got a few of the Top Ten List books they put out. 

Over the years, I think Dave grew a little redundant, and I think his comedy got lazy at times.  That said, past his prime Letterman was still much better than what passes for late night shows today.

I think we may have mentioned this before, but I have pretty much the exact same story. I'm not sure if it was just different where I was but I remember the NBC Letterman's being shown on A&E. People give him a bad rap for curbing his style when he went to 11:30 but I still think those early CBS shows were pretty exciting. I also think that after his major heart surgery, Letterman quite consciously decided to dial it back a notch, which I think was great for him personally but it did make the show a bit slower and a bit less entertaining.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 06:36:59 AM »

I used to be a huge Letterman fan in the 90's, but he got more political as he continued and I started to lose respect for him.  Also his embarrassing affair didn't help things. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
KDS
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »

I think we may have mentioned this before, but I have pretty much the exact same story. I'm not sure if it was just different where I was but I remember the NBC Letterman's being shown on A&E. People give him a bad rap for curbing his style when he went to 11:30 but I still think those early CBS shows were pretty exciting. I also think that after his major heart surgery, Letterman quite consciously decided to dial it back a notch, which I think was great for him personally but it did make the show a bit slower and a bit less entertaining.

I forgot about his heart surgery.  That does seem to be around the time he toned his style down a bit. 
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »

At the C50 concert in Aarhus, Denmark, Al pulled at his hair to convince front row disbelievers that it was his own hair!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 11:27:16 AM »

At the C50 concert in Aarhus, Denmark, Al pulled at his hair to convince front row disbelievers that it was his own hair!

Whoah, that's crazy! I wonder what caused that - did someone in the audience or a local paper say something to make Al want to disprove a claim?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 12:26:27 PM »

I think he is pulling your....  Grin

https://youtu.be/VPonFcjEcIs
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »

Aw man, and I fell for it, hook, line and sinker! Kind of how some people fall for Mr. Orange... er, nevermind.

D'oh!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

Aw man, and I fell for it, hook, line and sinker! Kind of how some people fall for Mr. Orange... er, nevermind.

D'oh!

LOL  But I am impressed with the Orange One's comb-over...I view the photos and videos of when the wind catches it, and it seems to be folded over from various directions in ways that I've never seen before - an art form.  It should be left to the Smithsonian.

Al's lovable and Letterman worked with it.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »

I thought David Letterman was dead....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »

Considering he's been in the news lately, not sure why you'd think that...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

One thing I can't figure out: Al never did have a great head of hair like the Wilson's; in the 70's, he sure looks to be balding. But he never went completely bald as Mike did.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx