gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:59:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Letterman gives a shout-out to Al Jardine  (Read 8488 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:51:18 PM »

But not in the way that one might think… Dave was rightfully mocking the orange menace in the White House, and out of the blue, compared Trump's hair to Al's.

"I mean, we elected a guy with that hair? Why don’t we investigate that? He looks like Al Jardine of the Beach Boys."

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/david-letterman-in-conversation.html?mid=fb-share-vulture

Most bizarre item relating to this band that I've read in awhile...  LOL  I guess Al's really bad hairstyle in the mid '90s, which must've been the last time they were on his show, must've left a lasting impression on him.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:57:30 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »

Poor Al  Undecided

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:39:56 PM »

Dave was rightfully mocking the orange menace in the White House

Please keep that in the sandbox. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:36 PM »

You might as well want to avoid reading the entire article, because Letterman does nothing but insult your hero as well.

Poor Al, indeed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:13:16 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:46:51 PM »

You might as well want to avoid reading the entire article, because Letterman does nothing but insult your hero as well.

Poor Al, indeed.

He is no hero but he is the president of the United States.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:17:02 AM »

I would not be happy about that if I was Al.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 03:54:25 AM »

Haha - Letterman used to compare his own hair to Al Jardine's on his show. It's one of his go-to lines.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 07:14:02 AM »

Haha - Letterman used to compare his own hair to Al Jardine's on his show. It's one of his go-to lines.

Crazy. I had no idea.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:25 AM »

That's one more funny joke from Letterman than any current late night host, and Letterman doesn't even have a show.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »

As most people in "the business" like to say, and the so-called POTUS seems to be trying hard to disprove: "there is no such thing as bad publicity."

OK, guys, NOW move it to the Sandbox!!!  3D
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 09:02:55 AM »

For those that don't remember, referencing Al Jardine's name is a running gag with Letterman going back to the 90s I believe.

I forget the exact context, but it was something to the effect that Al Jardine has so little name recognition.

Letterman had the BBs on his show (more than once I believe), and has had Brian on the show. He likes Al Jardine as far as I can tell.

Awful person to be compared to, no question. But I think Letterman is actually doing it with affection for Jardine and his old references to Al back on his show in the 90s and possibly 2000s.

Seriously, I doubt all of the current late night hosts even know who Al Jardine is.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »

For those that don't remember, referencing Al Jardine's name is a running gag with Letterman going back to the 90s I believe.

I forget the exact context, but it was something to the effect that Al Jardine has so little name recognition.

Letterman had the BBs on his show (more than once I believe), and has had Brian on the show. He likes Al Jardine as far as I can tell.

Awful person to be compared to, no question. But I think Letterman is actually doing it with affection for Jardine and his old references to Al back on his show in the 90s and possibly 2000s.

Seriously, I doubt all of the current late night hosts even know who Al Jardine is.

Surprisingly Al Jardine recently popped up on late night TV, as an anti environmentalist lawyer / villain character on a spoof show called Decker, on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.  Talk about a random cameo.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »

Al for President in 2020
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 09:54:39 AM »

I wonder if someone has any footage on tape of Letterman doing this recurring Al Jardine joke. Maybe it's on Youtube somewhere, although a cursory search turned up no results, except for the appearance in the mid '90s where Bruce wore the worst shorts I have literally ever seen in my life.

I too was surprised that Letterman was referencing Al, and I also doubt that many people even know who Al is by name.
Scaroline No
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »

Al for President in 2020

Someone please photoshop Al with his praying hands from the cover of 20/20 into the Oval Office!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »

Letterman did have a running joke with references to fairly obscure celebrities. I remember him deliberately mixing up Matthew Broderick with Broderick Crawford.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »

Letterman did have a running joke with references to fairly obscure celebrities. I remember him deliberately mixing up Matthew Broderick with Broderick Crawford.

That's awesome; the more obscure, the better. At least for once, surprisingly, a BB hair joke is at the expense of a member other than Mike.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »

Letterman is a mean spirited guy, quick to to insult others.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »

Every idiot has an opinion on Trump.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »

Every Trump is an idiot...
We can go on... Sandbox if you please

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 03:30:23 PM »

Letterman is definitely a Beach Boys fan. He had Brian on a number of times, and had the Boys on twice, once (without Brian) to sing the numbers on a top 10 list,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aivrroKurUc

and once with Brian as they did Little Deuce Coupe with James House to promote Stars and Stripes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe577Ff6Lqc

I remember several times when he referred to a guy with blonde hair as looking like Al Jardine.

My favorite Letterman Beach Boys reference came near the end of his run. He had a band on (I don't remember the name), and at the end of the song, he came over to thank them. He shook hands with the guys up front and acknowledged the guy behind the drum kit as "Denny, the hard-working drummer."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »

Every Trump is an idiot...
We can go on... Sandbox if you please

Yes please

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 06:25:22 PM »

From memory one of those early 90s Al stories was Dave saying this unknown guy came up to him at an airport asking "when can we be on your show?". Of course it was Al, who even referenced the no invite to Shaffer at the Paramount show.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »

Shortly before the official start of my fandom, I remember watching a clip where Letterman went to that deli next door from the studio and made a comment about one of the patrons (who was wearing a Hawaiian shirt) having graduated from the "Al Jardine School of Fashion". Of course, when I got into the band , I got the joke.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 03:29:30 AM »

I miss David Letterman so much! Our local TV always broadcast his Late Night Show 1/2 days after it had been done in the US. I found his monologue fabulous. Hear this elderly gentleman, elegant and white haired, say such off the wall things (some good satire, with a lot of pure farce), always made me laugh, and a lot. Ditto the interventions by Paul Shaffer, minus the white hair. Smiley
The interview section depended much on the interviewee, of course, but some were fantastic. And the guy with all those strange animals...
All in all, it was my fav TV show.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:30:42 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx