gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:47:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Try and see this documentary  (Read 6133 times)
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »

There's a new documentary out called I Am Not Your Negro based on writings by author James Baldwin, about the history of black America and what's changed since the civil rights movement. I don't know where you can see it (or for how much longer), I saw it at an independent theatre. If you can see it though, you should, because it's the most powerful thing I've ever seen about race. And regardless of whether or not you're racist or feel "I already understand" (which I vaguely would've felt before seeing this), I think it's an important thing to see. Because seeing it will make you realize you don't understand because if you did then you wouldn't say something like that. You can never have too much empathy.

And it's just a good documentary, sh*t.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and agree wholeheartedly that this is an incredibly good documentary.

I'm the only white member of an almost all African American religious group (there are a couple of Filipino members). I also worked with Tessie PW, who was one of the brave children to integrate New Orleans public schools in 1961.
However I am not so naive as to think that I understand all that is involved in being African American. Yes, this documentary was an eye opener.

For example, the documentary included a speech by Robert Kennedy, saying how good Civil Rights was, and, within 40 years, we might have a Negro president! I can imagine white folks thinking, "Wow!"
James Baldwin said that Kennedy's speech was met with derisive laughter in the African American community. Why should it have to take 40 years...

This documentary must be seen if at all possible. Especially with the present climate where I regularly hear a derogatory, racist term that I hadn't heard since the 1960s. This term has been used a lot to describe the Obamas. Sick.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 03:01:27 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:04:53 AM »

Not to highjack this thread to much, but on the subject of "must see" documentaries, I seriously recommend and even urge everybody to try to watch a documentary called "Night Will Fall". It's kind of a documentary within a documentary. It's about an unfinished and unreleased documentary about Nazi Germany during WWII. It shows modern day interviews of survivors of the Holocaust, along with clips from the footage that was shot during the making of the documentary. Simply put, this documentary is probably the single most important thing I will ever see in my life. I knew Nazi Germany was horrible, and I had seen footage of the dead bodies piled up, and the emaciated people from being starved. But something about the footage in "Night Will Fall" really drove home to me how unspeakably horrendous Hitler and the Third Reich were. It actually choked me up several times.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »

what did Oprah winfrey say when questioned about building a boarding school in africa instead of helping young impoverished black kids in America?  'all THEY want is shoes'

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx