gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:29:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rare concert footage In ESQ promo  (Read 4991 times)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »

It appears at about 0.22 to 0.24. Does anyone know which concert this is? Judging by Mike Loves clothes I'm thinking 73 . I was wondering if anyone has more details or a copy of this concert which is in hd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCGC_-rwRI

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »

https://goo.gl/images/hUrc7n

I think it is this show. Listed as Anaheim 1973.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »

Yes that could be it. Is there footage available anywhere?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 08:25:38 PM »

Don't know but this detailed review makes no mention of cameras or filming. That clip may just be related to a local news story. Others may know more.

http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.nz/2015/12/the-beach-boys-convention-center.html
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:26:59 AM »

Is there any other 73 concert footage out there? In its entirety or segmented.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 05:37:24 AM »

IIRC this comes from the EH documentary. And Alan Boyd wrote (somewhere in his thread) that this is home movie footage. Something like that. Same goes for the open air Sail On Sailor section in the same doc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 06:52:49 AM »

I checked its not the same shot plus there isn't a hd copy of endless harmony anywhere . I really hope im wrong
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »

Maybe Ed Roach could help?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:54:01 AM »

I shot some SUPER8 film of the Beach Boys back in the 70's when they played Vanderbilt, Mike wore that hat and shirt. I gave the film to a guy in CA. back in the late 70's, everytime I see it, I'm thinking, this looks like the footage I shot! Maybe, maybe not. By the way the show at Vanderbilt was opened by Billy Joel, who almost got booed off the stage! I still have about 30 minutes of footage I shot of the Boys, I haven't transferred to disc, but I shall this summer!

Cook pork throughly
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »

I shot some SUPER8 film of the Beach Boys back in the 70's when they played Vanderbilt, Mike wore that hat and shirt. I gave the film to a guy in CA. back in the late 70's, everytime I see it, I'm thinking, this looks like the footage I shot! Maybe, maybe not. By the way the show at Vanderbilt was opened by Billy Joel, who almost got booed off the stage! I still have about 30 minutes of footage I shot of the Boys, I haven't transferred to disc, but I shall this summer!

That is super cool, thanks for the recollection!

Do you recall what it was like to film it? Was there any sort of security that would have impeded taping/filming out in the open, or was it something that pretty much anyone could bring in equipment to the show with no issue?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »

That is super cool, thanks for the recollection!

Do you recall what it was like to film it? Was there any sort of security that would have impeded taping/filming out in the open, or was it something that pretty much anyone could bring in equipment to the show with no issue?

I would imagine people shooting home *movies* in the 70s may not have had much harassment from venues because back then there were few avenues to reproduce and distribute such a thing, nor a huge market for it.

They may have been more on the lookout for audio tapers, because live boots were surfacing by the late 60s/early 70s, and certainly by the height of the VHS era in the 80s it would be harder to sneak camcorders in, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 11:31:08 AM »

I checked its not the same shot plus there isn't a hd copy of endless harmony anywhere . I really hope im wrong

"Endless Harmony" doesn't and can't really exist in HD. It was all compiled in SD, and much of the footage they used is locked into SD anyway.

They did appear to have filmed the new interviews for it, so I guess they could re-comp the entire documentary from scratch and use HD scans of actual film material where available, but there's no way that's ever going to happen. A *new* documentary on the group would happen before that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 11:10:34 PM »

You have to transfer that gem!!!!!
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »

Does anyone know where the interviews that appear at 0.16 are from? I've seen that footage of Brian. But that interview of Mike in that hat and Al in that shirt is new to me. does anyone have a link to that?
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »

Ive got some Beach Boys SUPER8 footage from the 70s up on YOUTUBE. Look for astroray!

Cook pork throughly
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »

Maybe Ed Roach could help?

Yes, maybe he can...  This footage is indeed from Anaheim 1973.  These clips are from a series of commercials that Dennis and I co-produced in 1973/74, and I shot and edited in 16mm for the In Concert album.  We shot in various cities around the country and edited spots for the different local regions; (the outdoor footage that is often seen from Santa Barbara, and is sometimes intercut with some Billy Hinsche's 8mm footage).

There is quite a bit of pristine out-take footage, which does need to be transferred and upgraded to HD.  Unfortunately it was shot silent, as Dennis felt it had to incorporate the album tracks, as that is what it was advertising.  However, try as Moffitt & I did to convince Dennis that the technology didn't exist to sync it, he wouldn't budge.  I went ahead and shot it in crystal sync anyway, though, and when Alan Boyd was editing "Endless Harmony", (ironically at an editing facility, Digital Universe, that I owned with some partners at that time), we had a little time to play with actual tracks from various shows, and lo and behold, there is quite a bit of the footage that can be sync'd!  Unfortunately, every time it looks like there might be a project with the budget to accomplish this, it never materializes...  I'm not going anywhere, though, and maybe someday...
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »

Ive got some Beach Boys SUPER8 footage from the 70s up on YOUTUBE. Look for astroray!

Those are some historic shots. Make sure you take good care of it!!!! And transfer theM!
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »

you got it!

Cook pork throughly
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 07:02:56 AM »

Does anyone know where the interviews that appear at 0.16 are from? I've seen that footage of Brian. But that interview of Mike in that hat and Al in that shirt is new to me. does anyone have a link to that?

So i guess nobody knows?Huh
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx