gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:31:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Bonus Tracks on Two-fers  (Read 5926 times)
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »

I always considered the alternate "Heroes & Villains" to be interesting and valuable, but not necessarily a revelation. Perhaps it was because the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey CD was my first Beach Boys album and I didn't have that historical context. But I agree the whole SS/WH twofer is fascinating listening, and the bonus tracks all have a seductive atmosphere to them that is unique to those recordings. It is interesting to think of them, as another poster pointed out, as the first  cache of Smile material released since Surf's Up.

But my 5 favorite BBs bonus tracks are all contained in the astonishing sequence at the end of Friends/20/20: "Breakaway," "Celebrate," "We're Together Again," "Walk On By," and "Old Folks/Ol' Man River."

Honorable mentions: "I Do," "Cindy, Oh Cindy," "TLGIOK," the live "Don't Worry Baby," and "Morning Christmas" (does that count?).

I actually consider the Today/SD and LDC/ASL bonus tracks mostly inconsequential (I guess the alternate vocal "Let Him Run Wild" is pretty nice), but I appear to be alone in this.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:41:54 PM by maggie » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »

I actually consider the Today/SD and LDC/ASL bonus tracks mostly inconsequential (I guess the alternate vocal "Let Him Run Wild" is pretty nice), but I appear to be alone in this.
Yes, it should go to Unpopular Opinions thread. 10 points though for picking "Cindy Oh Cindy". :D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »

The bonus tracks most interesting to me are the previously unreleased ones, not the alternate Mix or alternate vocal versions.  So my favorites:

I Do
Can't Wait Too Long (was previously booted though)
Heroes and Villains (cantina)
Old Folks/Old Man River
Heroes and Villains (live Hawaii)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »

Can't Wait Too Long - anytime I put this one, it stays in my head for the rest of the week
Heroes and Villains - I really like this alternate version better than the released one
Land Ahoy - had a soft spot for this one ever since I heard it on the Rarities album
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »

Cant Wait Too Long is amazing and probably my favorite. Its the best mix/arrangement that I've come across and I think the edits are perfect.

Definitely the original H&V on SS/WH 2-fer too. Some of the earlier posts about getting it when it first came out: wow I can only imagine the excitement. Back before internet it certainly was a lot more rare to come across certain things if you didn't live right near a large city. I depended on mom & pop record stores a lot back then.

Walk On By is beautiful, but I wonder why they didn't flesh out the whole song? Regardless its also great.

All Dressed Up For School was also a favorite, although there is now a superior mix on Made In California box.

Also Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring. It's not their best vocal performance or anything, but for some reason the 'Boys sound depressed and/or tired. Or maybe just high. But for some reason their performance is so sad and touching on this 1967 version.

I also always really loved "You're Welcome", despite how brief it is.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 08:51:11 AM »

Don't Back Down alt version
Can't Wait Too Long
Let Him Run Wild alt version
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 11:39:19 PM »

I Do
I'm So Young alternate version
Can't Wait Too Long
Break Away (I prefer the new alternate version)
Celebrate the News
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx