gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Vocals-Only Moments  (Read 5928 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:14:44 AM »

I listened to Sunflower yesterday, which was the first time in a few months. Each time, I find something else to love about that album. What I noticed yesterday is how many of the background vocals were "lost" compared to what I heard on the Made in California vocals-only mix. Granted, the lack of background clarity could be due to the fact that I was in a soft-top Jeep Wrangler with the heater blasting, but the vocals-only mixes of Slip On Through and Our Sweet Love  on MiC gave me goosebumps and I missed some of the really intricate yet subtle parts.

Of course, the a cappella songs like The Lord's Prayer, Our Prayer, And Your Dream Comes True, Their Hearts Were Full of Spring/Now A Young Man Is Gone etc... are obviously meant to be listened to without instruments, but I am really digging the songs that were just as beautiful once the instruments are stripped.

I would have to rate my favorite vocals-only moment as the first time I experienced Wouldn't It Be Nice. I was intrigued with just the lead vocal but as soon as the stacked harmonies came in, I was blown away. California Girls was great too, and the fullness was kind of unexpected. Kiss Me Baby is a fantastic song without instruments.

I am not looking for your favorite Vocal-only songs, but the parts of those songs that made you really appreciate the Beach Boys in a new way.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:21:05 AM »

For me, the real "ear-opener" was the a capella breakdown in "Sloop John B".

Another favourite is the intricate vocal arrangement in the chorus of "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times".

"Girls On The Beach"----pretty well all of it. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:19:47 PM »

I only wish this was available in better sound quality.  From a very old boot, a Please Let Me Wonder session.  The final take where the boot-maker drops the backing track out- mindblowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh0iKhXW6vw
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 04:13:45 AM »

That is nice. I was hoping it was from the Unsurpassed Masters Alternate Today album, but it does not seem to be. There are a few takes on UMV08D01 where the instrumental track is low in the mix and the vocals are very prominent, but not this good. Thanks!
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 04:46:55 AM »

My favourite vocal-only moment is always the "tag" to Vegetables as in CD1 of the Smile Sessions. Absolutely transcendent.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 06:32:11 AM »

Kiss Me Baby and Wouldn't It Be Nice. I got chills hearing those vocals only tracks for the first time.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 06:54:29 AM »

The other-worldly, simple "ahhhhhhhhh" that starts in the middle of the bridge to "Sloop John B" (starting at the same time as Mike sings "Stone" in "Sherriff John Stone") is a stunner among stunners. Almost *unbelievable* that human beings sang that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »

A lot of the material from Pet Sounds is what jumps out at me, which is all the more impressive when I consider that I could say the flipside of the same coin: that album also has some of the instrumental tracks that jump out at me as the best. WIBN, Sloop John B, Here Today, IJWMFTT ... it's not a bad album, I guess.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »

There are also vocals-only versions of "Surf's Up" and "'Til I Die" floating around "out there", and those are of course stunning as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »

The vocals only "Forever".

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »

Hearing Brian ad libbing at the end of that vocals only "Forever" is amazing. Until he screams and blows out my ear drums.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »

Yeah ouch on that part! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »

Hearing Brian ad libbing at the end of that vocals only "Forever" is amazing. Until he screams and blows out my ear drums.  Grin

An absolute favorite from '70 and still is.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »

Poor ol' captain is an outsider on that one: I think it's a decent but not great song and performance. Dennis's stuff in general on Sunflower isn't really my thing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
FFS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »

There's moments that I will forever remember as melting my brain. One: the water chant from Cool Cool Water. That had never been done before or since. And the tag on Smiley Smile version of Wind Chimes still sounds otherworldly and always sought me to find a holy grail of BB harmonies which I've never found.
Also as a guilty pleasure for a song I normally can't stand & offending my Brianista sensibilities, the vocal breakdown in I Can See Music is draw dropping and sets the sense for all the other cliched BB 'sounds' in the future

Perfect,  just one more.....
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 05:13:17 AM »

The end of the Pet Sounds 40th Album where that short vocal only of WIBN comes in. And the vocal only of She Knows Me Too Well (from the Keep An Eye On Summer release)...Mike's bass vocal coupled with Brian's falsetto on the chorus is an example of what made this band phenomenal.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 05:21:54 AM »

Also the backing vocals track for she knows me too well!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 05:33:41 AM »

Yessss. That whole album is a treasure chest full of goodies. Why didn't they do a release like that for the Today and Summer Days albums? Like, we got sessions for Pom Pom Playgirl but f*** the idea of releasing vocal only tracks for the Summer Days tracks.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 05:36:03 AM »

Don't know at all, I want heyjude to run BRI dammit! Grin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 05:49:50 AM »

Don't know at all, I want heyjude to run BRI dammit! Grin

I vote in favor of this! One of the most sensible posters in this fandom. Though sensible and this band rarely go hand in hand haha

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 05:51:40 AM »

Vocals only Tag on God Only Knows, the unreleased alternate version. Stunning.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 10:50:57 AM »

AMAZING completely agree!!!!! my personal fav take being...
 'She Knows Me Too Well (Take 16, Stereo Chorus Overdub Session)' from the Archaeology (Lost Recordings Sessions 1963 - 1968).
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »

Stephen Desper's Study Video for Cool Cool Water comes to mind.  Phenomenal vocals!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »

Stephen Desper's Study Video for Cool Cool Water comes to mind.  Phenomenal vocals!

I need to check all of those out again asap.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 08:34:04 AM »

WIBN from the PS Sessions box. Starting with the element of Brian's lead actually being belted out and sung very forcefully versus in the "sweet" softer voice that many cover vocalists do and therefore miss the mark, it just keeps getting more and more stunning as Brian adds the various sections of harmony and backgrounds, each one perfect for the song.

I'd also add being able to hear some of what had been buried on I Just Wasn't Made For These Times on the same vocals-only disc was a revelation.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx