gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Vocals-Only Moments  (Read 5926 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »

I'd also add being able to hear some of what had been buried on I Just Wasn't Made For These Times on the same vocals-only disc was a revelation.

If there was only a way to rescue Denny's original lead vocal from I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. I keep hoping a way will be invented to "rescue" tape that might have been taped over (sort of how historians can remove a painting that has been painted on top of another), but I realize the limitations of magnetic tape might make this forever impossible. I also wonder if there's a way to tell from actually looking at the physical splice on the reels of tape if those lines of vocals which are thought to be splice-ins of Denny's lead are in fact such. I'll keep dreaming...
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »

The opening of 'Soulful Old Man Sunshine'.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 11:50:43 PM »

The opening of 'Soulful Old Man Sunshine'.

Excellent choice

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 12:05:49 AM »

first 20 seconds of "it's gettin' late"...soulful harmony w/ that bittersweet synth in the background. kills me
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:42:45 AM by Bittersweet-Insanity » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 04:06:06 AM »

There's moments that I will forever remember as melting my brain. One: the water chant from Cool Cool Water. That had never been done before or since. And the tag on Smiley Smile version of Wind Chimes still sounds otherworldly and always sought me to find a holy grail of BB harmonies which I've never found.
Also as a guilty pleasure for a song I normally can't stand & offending my Brianista sensibilities, the vocal breakdown in I Can See Music is draw dropping and sets the sense for all the other cliched BB 'sounds' in the future

Agreed 100% about the water chant and the SS "WC" tag.

And your guilty pleasure looks pretty guilty to me. LOL   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »

I only wish this was available in better sound quality.  From a very old boot, a Please Let Me Wonder session.  The final take where the boot-maker drops the backing track out- mindblowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh0iKhXW6vw

just play from 07.43
wow creamy, love the dynamics on the chorus.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx