gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:48:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why are Wondermints records so hard to find?  (Read 12697 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 07:05:37 AM »

Have the Wondermints done any music of their own since becoming Brian Wilson's band?

Yes, they released a studio album in 2002 called MIND IF WE MAKE LOVE TO YOU (Brian guests on 2 tracks) and they released a CD in 2009 of demos and non-album tracks called KALEIDOSCOPIN'.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »

This is "Ride" featuring Brian on the chorus.

https://youtu.be/Nf3VvlAbayw

Adds some 🎼 to your day
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?artist_id=58361&ev=ab
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 02:19:54 PM »

After reading the above replies, it is apparent no one knows why Wondermint records are so hard to find.....Also, I find it kind of sad that they largely consigned themselves to being BW's backup band.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »

They aren't hard to find at all. I bought Mind If We Make Love To You just last month for under $5 shipped on Amazon. They're all out there.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »

After reading the above replies, it is apparent no one knows why Wondermint records are so hard to find.....Also, I find it kind of sad that they largely consigned themselves to being BW's backup band.

Not to be rude, but I think that's objectively wrong. They are hard to find because they weren't especially popular and thus there weren't sufficient hard copies printed. The copies that were out there have been purchased. Now, 20 years or so after the fact, people who have interest in them are struggling to find copies from the limited supply. They are often expensive due to their rarity. Their online presence is probably limited due to rights/ownership issues, as the controllers of the catalog probably don't see much financial interest in getting it out there.

As for the latter part, such is life, I guess. But when you're trying to make a living, it's hard to chase a time-consuming dream.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »

the only wondermints 'record' that is hard to find is this:
http://images.45cat.com/wondermints-protopretty-1993.jpg
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 05:55:05 AM »

I have both Bali and Mind if We Make Love to you, and they're great. I think I found both years ago at a local independent record store in Red Bank NJ.
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »

Streaming is where the music industry is heading, and the Wondermints albums are sadly not available on Spotify (I'm not sure about other platforms though). This adds further to the rarity/mystique of the music, though I wish it wasn't so and I could stream them, and Jon Brion's Meaningless, and more of Jason Falkner's stuff, and Umajets, and a bunch of other 90s-00s power pop albums that are strangely not available to stream as of yet.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »

Streaming is where the music industry is heading, and the Wondermints albums are sadly not available on Spotify (I'm not sure about other platforms though). This adds further to the rarity/mystique of the music, though I wish it wasn't so and I could stream them, and Jon Brion's Meaningless, and more of Jason Falkner's stuff, and Umajets, and a bunch of other 90s-00s power pop albums that are strangely not available to stream as of yet.

Jon brion meaningless, great record. Great producer. Would love to hear him produce something with bb/bw. I imagine he could really help make some great stuff with him.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »

Their online presence is probably limited due to rights/ownership issues, as the controllers of the catalog probably don't see much financial interest in getting it out there.

This is what I find so frustrating.  How much effort/cost would be involve in selling the music online? Would this mysterious entity that controls Wondermints music make loads of money from Wondermints downloads? Maybe not, but they wouldn't make zero.  I have to imagine whatever cost is involved in selling mp3s would be far less than they'd make from posters on this board alone. 
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 05:24:44 PM »

Bands make very,  very little from streaming.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »

Right. Which is why I didn't say the band should release them digitally. I think we established that Darian & Co. don't control distribution. I said I don't understand why the entity controlling the music (and who could profit from it) can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds to upload the tracks.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

Here is a Wondermints fact that will blow your minds.  There are YouTube links to both items here.

The second track (billed as the first song) on "Bali" is "Arnaldo Said", a Latin-tinged uptempo piano rocker.  Turns out the piano riff and rhythm are an altered version of the main riff in a song by the Brazilian psychedelic band Os Mutantes, called "Algo Mais", from their 1969 LP "Mutantes." (The entire "Mutantes" album is uploaded on YouTube, the song is technically track 5, about 12 minutes in).

This pastiche was no mistake, music uber-nerd Darian was clearly familiar with Os Mutantes.  The lyric to "Arnaldo Said" contains the line "Mutantes out to get you."  And the Arnaldo in question is the group's guitarist Arnaldo Baptista.  Arnaldo himself opens the Wondermints song in a brief spoken fractured-English intro.

I only discovered this when I picked up a copy of "Mutantes" in a Seattle record store and heard the reference.  

Os Mutantes always had a reputation as a pioneering psychedelic/progressive band, though back in the day their records did not make it to the USA, being sung mostly in Portuguese.  David Byrne helped re-introduce them to US audiences through his Luaka Bop label.  The band reformed some years back and still get around, most recently issuing a CD called "Full Metal Jack."  Much of their back catalog can be found fairly easily.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:09:06 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »

Here is a Wondermints fact that will blow your minds.  There are YouTube links to both items here.

The second track (billed as the first song) on "Bali" is "Arnaldo Said", a Latin-tinged uptempo piano rocker.  Turns out the piano riff and rhythm are an altered version of the main riff in a song by the Brazilian psychedelic band Os Mutantes, called "Algo Mais", from their 1969 LP "Mutantes." (The entire "Mutantes" album is uploaded on YouTube, the song is technically track 5, about 12 minutes in).

This pastiche was no mistake, music uber-nerd Darian was clearly familiar with Os Mutantes.  The lyric to "Arnaldo Said" contains the line "Mutantes out to get you."  And the Arnaldo in question is the group's guitarist Arnaldo Baptista.  Arnaldo himself opens the Wondermints song in a brief spoken fractured-English intro.

I only discovered this when I picked up a copy of "Mutantes" in a Seattle record store and heard the reference.  

Os Mutantes always had a reputation as a pioneering psychedelic/progressive band, though back in the day their records did not make it to the USA, being sung mostly in Portuguese.  David Byrne helped re-introduce them to US audiences through his Luaka Bop label.  The band reformed some years back and still get around, most recently issuing a CD called "Full Metal Jack."  Much of their back catalog can be found fairly easily.

Os Mutantes are currently on tour and just played in Philly two weekends ago at the Trocadero. This is the link to their full Philly show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUhPqLB2GM
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:30:44 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2017, 10:32:06 PM »

Gee,  when everyone got all excited about the Wondermints backing Brian, I thought they must have been big stars in alternative rock.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »

Nope. Great, but obscure.

But in terms of why they're hard to find ... sometimes they're really, really easy to find. For example, I just opened my disc of the debut album only to find two burned CDs of live material from '95-96 that I have no recollection of receiving or having ever listened to in my entire life. See? Easy to find!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 01:00:14 AM »

They aren't hard to find at all. I bought Mind If We Make Love To You just last month for under $5 shipped on Amazon. They're all out there.

Indeed:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_11?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=wondermints&sprefix=wondermints%2Caps%2C147&crid=2VO8IPPETQRE8

I would recommend buying all the Wonderminsts stuff as its all great!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2020, 02:05:53 PM »

Bought Bali on eBay last week for £3.79. Listening now. Excellent.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2020, 05:41:45 PM »

Are the Wondermints still active as a group, aside from backing Brian?
Whenever I see their name, I think of the Wonders, aka the Oneders.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2020, 01:56:40 AM »

There's more to it than just the profit made from streaming, it gives the band a platform to spread further. As much as I'm not a streaming focussed person, it's a lot easier to recommend something to a friend when they can access it right away.

Also, any money is better than no money...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2020, 05:49:18 AM »

Any artist or label that chooses not to stream via Spotify or similar service is an artist that has decided they don't want to give their work away for free. If the album contains covers, they have decided they don't want to pay licensing fees on top of giving the music away for free (distributing at a net loss). Wondermints might have some records in that second category IMO.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2020, 05:51:28 AM »

There's more to it than just the profit made from streaming, it gives the band a platform to spread further. As much as I'm not a streaming focussed person, it's a lot easier to recommend something to a friend when they can access it right away.

Also, any money is better than no money...

A band like the Wondermints might make $5-$10 a month tops on Spotify. It's not worth it, as hosting and distributing costs about the same. There's zero profit.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx