gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:05:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Hand in Vocal Arrangements  (Read 26194 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »

Back in the fall of '82, Carl told Geoffrey Himes (when speaking of the groups' individual vocal contributions): "It's not widely known, but Michael had a hand in a lot of the arrangements. He would bring out the funkier approaches: he'd decide what rhythms and syllables to use in the background, whether to go shoo-boo-bop or bom-bom-did-di-did-did. It makes a big difference, because it can change the whole rhythm, the whole color and tone of it."

So, the question is, which songs might these be? The first to come to mind is, of course, the VERY first one: "Surfin'", which has a bass vocal line almost identical to the second one Carl describes here (and the TM-like chant in "This Whole World" seems to be a derivative of that). Any others like that? And what about the first one Carl describes here: can anyone think of any BBs song that might incorporate a background line such as that? I'm sure there are others that Carl had in mind, he just happened to mention these two types of r'n'b-styled backgrounds as examples...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »

Back in the fall of '82, Carl told Geoffrey Himes (when speaking of the groups' individual vocal contributions): "It's not widely known, but Michael had a hand in a lot of the arrangements. He would bring out the funkier approaches: he'd decide what rhythms and syllables to use in the background, whether to go shoo-boo-bop or bom-bom-did-di-did-did. It makes a big difference, because it can change the whole rhythm, the whole color and tone of it."

So, the question is, which songs might these be? The first to come to mind is, of course, the VERY first one: "Surfin'", which has a bass vocal line almost identical to the second one Carl describes here (and the TM-like chant in "This Whole World" seems to be a derivative of that). Any others like that? And what about the first one Carl describes here: can anyone think of any BBs song that might incorporate a background line such as that? I'm sure there are others that Carl had in mind, he just happened to mention these two types of r'n'b-styled backgrounds as examples...

Perhaps his backing vocals on I Can Hear Music, particularly during the bridge breakdown part...
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »

The bow bow bow in Help Me Rhonda and possibly ba ba ba and did its in Do It Again.  Not that Carl was referring to those, but they sound like something he would have come up with, especially on Help Me, Rhonda.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »

The bow bow bow in Help Me Rhonda and possibly ba ba ba and did its in Do It Again.  Not that Carl was referring to those, but they sound like something he would have come up with, especially on Help Me, Rhonda.

It's so damn difficult to think that myKe could come up with something as complex as bow x 3 as well as did its! What about TLGIOK, too. Man, how profound is that? He makes Brian look like an amateur!  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »

It's so damn difficult to think that myKe could come up with something as complex as bow x 3 as well as did its! What about TLGIOK, too. Man, how profound is that? He makes Brian look like an amateur!  Roll Eyes

Yeah, he sure does!  Roll Eyes
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 04:22:54 PM »

"Ask myKe luHv". He'll be happy to tell you how talented he is. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »

I wonder if Mike is looking for an arranger credit.

Those were Carl's words reported, sure, but suggesting or doing a doo-wop based "bom, bom, dippity dippity" bassline vocal if you're the bass singer in a vocal group is not worthy of being credited as an arranger.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »

Those were Carl's words reported, sure, but suggesting or doing a doo-wop based "bom, bom, dippity dippity" bassline vocal if you're the bass singer in a vocal group is not worthy of being credited as an arranger.

I can guarantee you Mike is not looking for an arranging credit. Carl told Himes "Mike had a hand in the arrangements", and I simply brought it up out of my own curiosity.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »

Given what I know...and following through in order to also accurately consider his more modern contributions [say those made to Slumber in Pair of Dice for example]... ... ...I think we can safely assume that 'he' would have been behind the concept of the group going with the memorable. daunting, and ever-so-challenging "Duh duh duh...duh duh...duh duh duh...duh duh.../Duh duh duh...duh duh...duh duh duh...duh duh"  intro to Louee-Louee. Shocked

"Duhhhhhh."   Those are the kind of special lyrics and moments which immediately enable me to conjure up the image I have grown accustomed to in terms of equating  that 'love' character with all of the great stuff he's has done to...er - sorry...'for' the brand...I mean band. Roll Eyes

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »

Given what I know...and following through in order to also accurately consider his more modern contributions [say those made to Slumber in Pair of Dice for example]... ... ...I think we can safely assume that 'he' would have been behind the concept of the group going with the memorable. daunting, and ever-so-challenging "Duh duh duh...duh duh...duh duh duh...duh duh.../Duh duh duh...duh duh...duh duh duh...duh duh"  intro to Louee-Louee. Shocked

"Duhhhhhh."   Those are the kind of special lyrics and moments which immediately enable me to conjure up the image I have grown accustomed to in terms of equating  that 'love' character with all of the great stuff he's has done to...er - sorry...'for' the brand...I mean band. Roll Eyes
  You're killing me smalls!
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:20 PM »

Very moving, and probably the single most underrated moment in their whole catalog.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »

Looking at most (but not all) of the above posts, it's no wonder the OP has taken his question elsewhere.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 06:06:14 AM »

Mike is plugging away at trying to find a way to make more money off the BBs legacy and diminish BW's work in 1960s. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 06:56:29 AM »

I think you could argue that, in cases where Mike wasn't directed by Brian or others on how to sing his bass part and/or what "sounds" to use as background syllables, etc., and worked it out on his own, he "arranged" the song in the same way that, say, George Harrison "wrote" parts of Lennon/McCartney songs where he wrote the lead guitar part from scratch. That is, a wholly original part, but one that is dictated by a pre-existing arrangement/melody/chord structure and a situation where that addition (whether one agrees or not) was and is not typically awarded a credit.

So in this sense, in a world where a lead guitar part wouldn't receive a writer's credit, Mike forming his bass part with no outside help wouldn't warrant a "vocal arranger" credit on an album jacket.

I think Carl in that interview is using "arranger" in a looser fashion, and pointing out that Mike did form his own vocal parts in some cases is certainly an important thing to point out, as are cases where he picked which vocal sounds to use as backing. But this certainly isn't the same as writing out or verbally dishing out actual fully-formed multi-part harmony pieces.

As for cases where Mike did this sort of thing, coming up with the "do-do-do" versus "woooo-buh-do" and all of that stuff, I would tend to think post-1967 stuff where Brian wasn't cracking the whip as much or having as much direct control over sessions might be more likely cases where Mike more freely added that stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:38 AM »

Not an unfair observation in the least given the recent history of vocal credits (and who was all tied up in that). Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why all of that was done in the first place...thus it's not surprising that people were cynical/sarcastic about this specific topic.

Regardless, glad it found its way to the Pet Sounds Forum, far from that "other" board lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:06:27 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 07:06:43 AM »

Wasn't it the liners for one of the copyright releases?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:48:17 AM »

No surprise Mike came up with many of the bass vocal lines on the songs, rather than those being dictated by Brian - Good Vibrations comes to mind (although it just echoes the bass line), the part in the Water chant was Mike's (now now now ...) and I'm sure numerous others.  It would be interesting to try and list all the songs with vocal bass lines that "make" the song or at least are an inseparable part of their structure.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »

No surprise Mike came up with many of the bass vocal lines on the songs, rather than those being dictated by Brian

Could you elaborate on this?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
delete this account too
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:33:09 AM by Mixdown Producer » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »

Nice job formatting that quote there, gramps. Maybe next time ask one of your great-grandkids to help you with the computer.

I can help him out with it
[/quote]
[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:22:28 PM by rab2591 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »

Nice job formatting that quote there, gramps. Maybe next time ask one of your great-grandkids to help you with the computer.

I can help him out with it
[/quote]

[/quote] w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:41 PM »

Is that really necessary?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 12:29:40 AM »

I don't care how much of a dick he can be to Brian or anybody else. the man is a hell of a lot more worthy of respect and credit as a member of a vocal group than he's been given in the past, or right now in this thread. Listen to the vocal only mixes of Breakaway or Cottonfields, and see if you can come up with something half as good.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 01:45:52 AM »

Is that really necessary?

You could ask that about the majority of OSD's posts too. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 05:35:56 AM »

I don't care how much of a dick he can be to Brian or anybody else. the man is a hell of a lot more worthy of respect and credit as a member of a vocal group than he's been given in the past, or right now in this thread. Listen to the vocal only mixes of Breakaway or Cottonfields, and see if you can come up with something half as good.

He probably gets just as much credit as he deserves. People know he contributed a lot to the band's 60s music and by the way, I'm sure rock critics would be very kind to Mike Love if he was a little more humble about those contributions. He was the lead singer, frontman and sometimes lyricist during the band's prime and he did some great bass vocals too. Not a genius but indeed a hard working guy. Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx