gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:33:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncut’s “Ask Mike Love”  (Read 20814 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2017, 10:26:38 AM »

Bruce still surfs?!? Good for him.

People complain that Mike keeps giving us the same responses. I prefer that over a different response each time. The key may be if you want a different answer, ask different questions?

I've criticized many a Mike interview, with plenty of justification, but there's also no doubt that many interviewers just ask the same questions over and over and over.

The only time I've seen a good interview squeezed out of Mike is either when a reporter does one of those "follow someone around for several days" deals like the Rolling Stone guy did with Mike last year, or someone who knows their BB stuff and is a good journalist, like Howie Edelson.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »

From what I understand, he was actually wuite involved in song selection for MIC, and even went to great lengths to ensure the inclusion of as much of Dennis' work as possible. Perhaps he feels guilty about his treatment of and statements about that "no-talent parasite."

I thought MIC might be brought up, and it's true that he was involved in that once the project was going. But my main concern is that he's not lighting a fire to get any such projects started himself, and that recent interview shows he's so *not* in the headspace to even think about that kind of stuff that his words indicate he doesn't even understand which stuff Capitol owns versus BRI.

I think once a project is devised and it's actually being prepped and is a go, Mike will then jump in and be a part of it, especially when asked and especially when catered to (e.g. having stuff like "Summer in Paradise" on MIC and adding guitar overdubs onto "Goin' to the Beach", etc.). In fact, if luring Mike into being more proactive on these projects by placating him with some of his personal favorites as selections is what it takes, then I'm totally fine with getting a bunch of archival releases even if it means we have to include something from "Summer in Paradise" and another remix of "Brian's Back" on every release.  LOL
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:31:54 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »

Going to have disagree with you there-- I don't need anymore "Brian's Back" than what we have.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2017, 01:06:30 PM »

Bruce still surfs?!? Good for him.

People complain that Mike keeps giving us the same responses. I prefer that over a different response each time. The key may be if you want a different answer, ask different questions?

I've criticized many a Mike interview, with plenty of justification, but there's also no doubt that many interviewers just ask the same questions over and over and over.

The only time I've seen a good interview squeezed out of Mike is either when a reporter does one of those "follow someone around for several days" deals like the Rolling Stone guy did with Mike last year, or someone who knows their BB stuff and is a good journalist, like Howie Edelson.

I would sincerely believe the all questions directed to the luHvster would be strictly run through the wringer before they would allowed to be asked to his highness.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »

When you get right down to it...when you focus on reality and on the actual  brass tacks...there is really ONLY 1 question left to ask that 'love' guy.  And I have NO problem if each and every 'journalist' asks him this 1 question from now until there is NO LONGER a reason to ask it.  The question?  It's totally obvious... ... ...

"Hey Mike ... Why don't you just f*** OFF?"

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »

I would sincerely believe the all questions directed to the luHvster would be strictly run through the wringer before they would allowed to be asked to his highness.

I have no reason not to believe this. I am not sure it is uncommon, as it would give the interviewee some time to craft some well-thought-out answers. I am not opposed to this at all if we were getting well-thought-out answers.

I believe it when Mike he hasn't seen "Love and Mercy" and never read Brian's book - at least not in their entirety. I would suspect that he may have seen portions of the film that pertain to his character - probably had someone set up a montage or something, and the same with Brian's book. So it is possible that he was taking situations out of context and trying to say they were wrong, when overall, Brian painted a fairly decent image of Mike.

I believe Mike is a busy man and is not going to take the time to sit down and watch a film or read a book unless it is done for his leisure time. Not sure if Brian read Mike's book either.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »

I believe Mike is a busy man and is not going to take the time to sit down and watch a film or read a book unless it is done for his leisure time. Not sure if Brian read Mike's book either.

I don't think Brian has read Mike's book either. But as far as I know, at least Brian isn't commenting - let alone dissing - original media, be it books or music, coming from the Mike camp without even seeing it firsthand.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2017, 07:18:45 PM »

The irony is if Mike listened to the albums, read the book, watched the movie he might have a few more lines for an interview rather than the usual "Brian did drugs!" turkey.

Incidentally, for those that keep records of these things. With the Bambu announcement today, would it be true to say that Carl and Dennis have had more solo success dead than Mike has living?
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »

[/quote]

I don't think Brian has read Mike's book.
[/quote]

I don't even think Brian has read Brian's book.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2017, 06:27:54 AM »

Beyond the fact that this *hilariously* snarky comment has no basis in anything but guessing and conveniently deflects from the zillionth time Mike has made hypocritical comments in an interview, the problem and the root of the "did so-and-so read such-and-such?" question is that Mike keeps commenting on stuff he professes not to have read/viewed/listened to. How does he not know how poorly he comes across when he does that?

*Wild idea* here, but maybe Mike could have listened to Brian's 2004 "Smile" as a friend and colleague and enjoyed it or appreciated it (or at least been able to criticize it without being ignorant as to its contents). McCartney listened to "Double Fantasy", Lennon listened to "Coming Up", Al listened to "Cool Head, Warm Heart" when it came out on that Hallmark CD and said he liked it.

Similarly, Mike, you know, the guy who helped Stamos put together a magnum opus ABC TV movie that is *twice* as long as "Love and Mercy" and at times painted people as babbling morons, could just watch "Love and Mercy" and actually see for himself what it's all about. F**k everyone if Mike actually came away watching it actually appreciating one damn thing about Brian instead of (wrongly) assuming the movie paints him out to be the hun that he increasingly is becoming.

Remember back in the olden days of 2015 when Mike commented on the "The Right Time" without having even listened to it? You know, the 3-minute song that could be listened to for free on YouTube? Clearly, assuming for the moment that Mike actually isn't watching/reading/listening to this stuff, he's actually *going out of his way* to not do so, seemingly putting more effort into *avoiding* it than it would take to just face it.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »

I don't think Brian has read Mike's book.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Huh?  Mike was a runner.  School wasn't 'easy' for him.  Reading?  Uhhhh...NO!!!  Writing lyrics like he was the poor man's version of  the road map reading Chuck Berry....was about it.

I'm gonna stick with the 1 obvious question.  [I can only figure that he hasn't 'cause he can't find it on a map.]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:52:52 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
barf0wnz
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »

Hi all

Long time lurker - new time poster .

Mike Love answered my question !
I asked him if he ever met Walt Disney during the monkeys Uncle .

Cool response by him and I'd like to get a copy of the issue or a screenshot of the question
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2017, 09:00:40 PM »

I agree, I thought he was portrayed really quite sympathetically and likeably (apparently not a word, whatever) in L&M.

It's a word (with roughly 35,500 hits to its credit): https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/likeably.
Blah, who cares. Roll Eyes It's not even on-topic.

Boring questions. This is all people came up with?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx