gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:31:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 5 (or whatever) BB/BW books?  (Read 4646 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 10:39:44 AM »

I'll never fully understand the impact that song made on popular music and culture, because I wasn't there to witness it.

Aha. It was late 1966 when I arrived home after a day's work, made my way upstairs, turned on the radio and turned off the light to hear the first UK airing of "Good Vibrations". No obtrusive videos to influence what you saw in your mind's eye, just the music...

I've never understood the connection between "Good Vibrations' and summer. This was October and it had been dark for a few hours already. This was around eight in the evening. I can't even remember which station played it. A comment by AGD makes me suspect that it was Radio London, one of the handful of "pirate" stations active in those years. But I do remember the dark glowing colours I imagined while I was listening, spellbound.

Anyway, gotta find my own rabbit hole now. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Scaroline No
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 06:51:59 AM »

I'll never fully understand the impact that song made on popular music and culture, because I wasn't there to witness it.

Aha. It was late 1966 when I arrived home after a day's work, made my way upstairs, turned on the radio and turned off the light to hear the first UK airing of "Good Vibrations". No obtrusive videos to influence what you saw in your mind's eye, just the music...

I've never understood the connection between "Good Vibrations' and summer. This was October and it had been dark for a few hours already. This was around eight in the evening. I can't even remember which station played it. A comment by AGD makes me suspect that it was Radio London, one of the handful of "pirate" stations active in those years. But I do remember the dark glowing colours I imagined while I was listening, spellbound.

Anyway, gotta find my own rabbit hole now. Grin 

Ahhh thanks for this, the description of your actual first hearing of GV is magical. I can't get enough of it, trying to put myself in 1966 with everyone else who was there...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:52:30 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx