gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:37:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Some Of Your Love" and "It's OK"  (Read 8161 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »

Got another potential contender: Crack at Your Love.

The melody that is happening in the backing track (just as the words "crack at your love" are sung) sounds nearly identical  to this recurring melody. This part recurs in the song over and over again, with an example at 0:24 (as the "whoah-oooh-oh-whoah-hoo" wordless part is sung):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFExH_4Zsx8

Anyone else hear it? You could sing "Sum-sum-summer-summer of love", "Child of Winter", etc over that part.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:16:46 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »

When I saw the Beach Boys in July of 1976, they performed It's OK along with other cuts from 15 Big Ones.  For the It's OK tag ("Find a ride/" "In the Sum-sum-summertime") Al Jardine sang a great falsetto part on top of the other vocal parts. 

The same falsetto part was later used during the tag for the Celebration It's OK cover featured on the Almost Summer soundtrack LP.

I always thought It's OK might have been a bigger hit in 1976 if they'd included that falsetto part on the Beach Boys single.  The melody for that falsetto line sounded like something Brian would have written.  Perhaps there's a version with that falsetto still in the vault. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »

When I saw the Beach Boys in July of 1976, they performed It's OK along with other cuts from 15 Big Ones.  For the It's OK tag ("Find a ride/" "In the Sum-sum-summertime") Al Jardine sang a great falsetto part on top of the other vocal parts. 

The same falsetto part was later used during the tag for the Celebration It's OK cover featured on the Almost Summer soundtrack LP.

I always thought It's OK might have been a bigger hit in 1976 if they'd included that falsetto part on the Beach Boys single.  The melody for that falsetto line sounded like something Brian would have written.  Perhaps there's a version with that falsetto still in the vault. 

Thanks for the recommendation; I just listened to that version on Youtube, and that outro part you mentioned is pretty rad.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »

Could that falsetto be added to the BBs version?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »

<<Could that falsetto be added to the BBs version?>>

It may already be there... the 2012 "faders up" mix of Rock & Roll Music revealed a heretofore unheard falsetto part beginning with the third verse (sung, as I understand, by Marilyn Wilson).  The falsetto line itself is a great little riff... and whoever did the high part in Celebration duplicated - precisely - the same line I heard Al sing in 1976.  So I'd like to assume it was a known counter melody line for It's OK... just not used in the released BB mix.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »

It may already be there... the 2012 "faders up" mix of Rock & Roll Music revealed a heretofore unheard falsetto part beginning with the third verse (sung, as I understand, by Marilyn Wilson).

Marilyn? Sounds very much like 1976 vintage Brian to these ears.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »

<<Marilyn? Sounds very much like 1976 vintage Brian to these ears.>>

Marilyn... according to my sources... apparently she did a lot of falsetto on that album.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:02:46 PM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »

Maybe we're not talking about the same part...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »

So much for the Brian as young Mozart, having to recycle the same riffs repeatedly.....of course very young Mozart did recycle riffs ad nauseam, but then, he was like only 4 years old or so....Brian is King Mozart in Reverse!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2017, 07:02:19 PM »

OK, I'll take the bait...at least he had riffs to recycle. The Mozart comparison was always a piece of inflammatory nonsense, even if it was as misguidedly well-meaning as your remark was misguidedly mean-spirited.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 07:50:42 AM »

Most of the BBs at the times they were at least moderately active were kings of re-using riffs, melodies, remaking other artists' songs, remaking their own songs, re-recording unreleased songs, doing half-way covers/originals, and so on.

And I'd say Mike is a "culprit", if one needs to be named, in the "Mike Come Back to LA/Child of Winter/Some of Your Love" riff re-use as well, as he was a co-writer on at least some of those variations.

Mike basically set about re-making "Kokomo" and "Still Cruisin'" into an entire album with SIP in 1992. There are also individual examples like "Tricia", which is certainly a re-use of the "Sandy/Sherry" motif.

Mike's treasured "Kokomo" was basically a case of taking someone else's old song off the shelf and rejiggering it.

This is not even getting into wholesale ripping off lines and sections of songs as callbacks, like Mike and Al on "Kona Coast" and using the "Hawaii" bit, or Mike constantly referencing old BB titles and lyrics in his songs like "Summer in Paradise."

Al regularly employed use of cover versions of course. Also, apparently some of his "originals" are reworkings of old songs like "Raspberries, Strawberries."

Brian surely was at least unknowingly referencing "Looking Down the Coast" when he did "Walkin' the Line."

Dennis cross-pollinated "Holy Man" and "Moonshine." I would imagine some of his other riffs and motifs were woven through multiple songs.

Brian, after having "Shortenin' Bread" rolling around his head for years, and even *after* he got it out of his system and released it on "LA (Light Album)", re-recorded it AGAIN in 1980!

Bruce re-used "Ten Years Harmony" for "Endless Harmony."

Al's actual album and Mike's de facto 2004 sort-of album are both rife with remakes and re-recordings. There's also already evidence Mike's *current* album is partly made up of remakes like "Big Sur" and "Getcha Back." His 2015 X-Mas single was a re-recording of a rejected 40-year-old outtake.

Mike has done *numerous* iterations of BB re-make albums with Adrian Baker.

I can't think of Carl recycling much on his own, but that's probably mostly because he was not a prolific writer inside or outside of the group, at least in terms of what we've heard.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:51:28 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »

Most of the BBs at the times they were at least moderately active were kings of re-using riffs, melodies, remaking other artists' songs, remaking their own songs, re-recording unreleased songs, doing half-way covers/originals, and so on.

And I'd say Mike is a "culprit", if one needs to be named, in the "Mike Come Back to LA/Child of Winter/Some of Your Love" riff re-use as well, as he was a co-writer on at least some of those variations.

Mike basically set about re-making "Kokomo" and "Still Cruisin'" into an entire album with SIP in 1992. There are also individual examples like "Tricia", which is certainly a re-use of the "Sandy/Sherry" motif.

Mike's treasured "Kokomo" was basically a case of taking someone else's old song off the shelf and rejiggering it.

This is not even getting into wholesale ripping off lines and sections of songs as callbacks, like Mike and Al on "Kona Coast" and using the "Hawaii" bit, or Mike constantly referencing old BB titles and lyrics in his songs like "Summer in Paradise."

Al regularly employed use of cover versions of course. Also, apparently some of his "originals" are reworkings of old songs like "Raspberries, Strawberries."

Brian surely was at least unknowingly referencing "Looking Down the Coast" when he did "Walkin' the Line."

Dennis cross-pollinated "Holy Man" and "Moonshine." I would imagine some of his other riffs and motifs were woven through multiple songs.

Brian, after having "Shortenin' Bread" rolling around his head for years, and even *after* he got it out of his system and released it on "LA (Light Album)", re-recorded it AGAIN in 1980!

Bruce re-used "Ten Years Harmony" for "Endless Harmony."

Al's actual album and Mike's de facto 2004 sort-of album are both rife with remakes and re-recordings. There's also already evidence Mike's *current* album is partly made up of remakes like "Big Sur" and "Getcha Back." His 2015 X-Mas single was a re-recording of a rejected 40-year-old outtake.

Mike has done *numerous* iterations of BB re-make albums with Adrian Baker.

I can't think of Carl recycling much on his own, but that's probably mostly because he was not a prolific writer inside or outside of the group, at least in terms of what we've heard.

Maybe not the exact riff or melody, but several of his songs are reminiscent of "Heaven" - "Where I Belong", "I Wish For You", and "This is Elvis'.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 06:24:14 AM »

Carl certainly liked that style and arpeggio pattern, but that's just more a stylistic issue as opposed to most of the previous examples of straight-up re-making/re-recording an old song, and/or re-writing a song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »

A lot of artists re-use riffs.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »

A lot of artists re-use riffs.

Here's another one I just noticed:

The intro and outro of Still Surfin', to my ears, sound musically nearly identical to the intro of Make it Big. Terry and Mike doing a virtual copy/paste, just adding some vocals to make it a bit different.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx