gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:10:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Some Of Your Love" and "It's OK"  (Read 8165 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:01:40 AM »

I just heard the alternate version of It's OK from the Made In California box set and noticed the added notes before the 'normal' start to the song. Is it just me, or am I hearing the same notes as "Gimme some, some, some of your love" from Some of Your Love (Keepin' The Summer Alive)? The songs have the same sort of feel about heading to the beach/being at the beach. I was wondering if they were actually written around the same time or if Some of Your Love was just in one of the early iterations at that point.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:02:59 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:47:20 AM »

Or Mike Come Back To LA
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 05:03:19 AM »

I'd have to listen again, but I do not remember the initial two notes - the 'gim-me" notes in Mike Come Back To L.A.

It's OK was released in 1976, and the Mike Come Back to L.A. session was what - 1978? Some of Your Love was released in 1980. I know Brian likes to revisit a tune if he likes it enough, but it sounds as if the genesis of the song was pre-1976; probably as far back as 1974 as It's OK was part of the Caribou tapes sessions?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:24:56 AM »

I'd have to listen again, but I do not remember the initial two notes - the 'gim-me" notes in Mike Come Back To L.A.

It's OK was released in 1976, and the Mike Come Back to L.A. session was what - 1978? Some of Your Love was released in 1980. I know Brian likes to revisit a tune if he likes it enough, but it sounds as if the genesis of the song was pre-1976; probably as far back as 1974 as It's OK was part of the Caribou tapes sessions?

Mike Come Back To L.A. was reportedly written in '73.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 08:59:06 AM »

"It's OK" is a stripped-down reworking of "Mess of Help" where the latter's middle-eight (which repeats, augmented a good bit, as the song's tag) appears only as a tag, with synthesized strings brought down an octave in place of the high-pitched squeal of "Mess of Help's" cello played at the very top of its range. Though the lead vocal part in the tag is different in tone and melody, the repeating structure ("She don't know a thing/She don't know" vs. "Find a ride/Find a ride") is functionally identical. (The rest of the vocal arrangement is different, and helps to mask the fact that one song was cribbed from the other.)

This fact continues to elude folks because the lead vocals are so utterly different in character and the song structure has been radically simplified:

MOH: verse--mini-chorus--verse2--mini-chorus2--instrumental1--middle-8--instrumental2--verse3--mini-chorus3-tag
OK: verse--mini-chorus--verse2--mini-chorus2-verse3--mini-chorus3--tag

As for "Some of Your Love," it could be that Brian got that stuff started for "It's OK," then jettisoned it as it became clearer to him that he could rewrite "Mess of Help," then came back to the discarded part and made a new song from that.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »

Woah, that's news. When did this come from?  I had never heard this at all.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »

I always thought "Some of your Love" sounded like "Wontcha come out tonight."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:37:33 AM »

Deleted - I replied to the wrong post!  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:26:08 AM by c-man » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:35 AM »

You know, everybody talks about the Shortnin' Bread riff, but the MCBTLA-Child of Winter-Some of Your Love riff may have been used even more than the Shortnin' Bread riff.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »

Wow, more than the short'nin' bread riff? Is that even possible? Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »

Woah, that's news. When did this come from?  I had never heard this at all.

Page 296 of Brad Elliott's "Surf's Up: The Beach Boys On Record" -
"Some Of Your Love was a rewrite of a 1972 or 1973 Brian composition, Mike, Come Back To L.A."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:27:20 AM by c-man » Logged
Robert James
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »

same as "Child Of Winter" as well.

I would let it slide, slide like mercury. silver and quick, poisonous and deadly.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »

same as "Child Of Winter" as well.

Same as "Summer of Love" as well ("sum...sum...summer...summer of love") which was written "only" by Mike Love + Terry Melcher.

Does that mean that Brian was screwed out of a songwriting credit? Serious question. It's the melodic hook of the song.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:59:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »

Does that mean that Brian was screwed out of a songwriting credit? Serious question. It's the melodic hook of the song.

Pretty much, yeah.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »

You know, everybody talks about the Shortnin' Bread riff, but the MCBTLA-Child of Winter-Some of Your Love riff may have been used even more than the Shortnin' Bread riff.
It's a variation of the Shortnin' Bread riff.  It's got the same rhythm to it and I think it is JUST similar enough to be a variation...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »

I don't really hear the similarity.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »

Or was the above post meant in answer to the thread topic?

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »

I don't really hear the similarity.
Perhaps I listened wrong.  The rhythms to me are similar to the Shortnin' Bread riff, but I think at least both of these are really similar.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »

Or was the above post meant in answer to the thread topic?
I was trying to answer both questions.  I wonder what inspired these riffs other than to BW, Shortnin' Bread was the best song ever.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:16 PM »

I hear it, but it's kinda inverted

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:19 PM »

I can hear how the "some some some" part sounds a bit like the SB riff, but you have to kind of rearrange the chords a bit.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »

If "Mike Come Back to LA" predates all of the other variants, then that alone could explain all the similarities. But specifically in terms of that "It's OK" riff sounding like the 1977 "Mike Come Back to LA" recording despite pre-dating it, we could certainly go to the 1974 "Child of Winter" track which is the earliest *released* direct use of that motif/riff. The "Mess of Help" similarity is an interesting theory, but we don't appear to hear that same six-note riff used in "Child of Winter", the  pre-song noodling on the "It's OK" alternate, "Mike Come Back to LA", "Some of Your Love", as well as "Summer of Love."

I'm not convinced Mike was *trying* to rework older songs when he did "Summer of Love" (and certainly Brian didn't receive a co-writing credit on that one), whereas I think "Some of Your Love" was a conscious/deliberate reworking of "Mike Come Back to LA."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:45:23 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 06:47:43 AM »

Probably totally unrelated, but in the general category of "It's OK" and weird song recycling, it was interesting that *years* later, in the 2000s when Mike started adding "It's OK" back to his setlist in a lower key (as heard as well on C50), he added an opening riff/arrangement that is basically the "Skatetown USA" intro.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »

This is all really interesting.

Okay, so to recap, the last song using that 8-note progression was written after a released song featured it on the opening of the alternate version which pulled it from a 6-note sequence of an pre-dated unreleased version of a song.  Razz

...yet setlist-wise, Some of Your Love could easily segue directly into It's OK on an album or in concert - certainly way easier than Child of Winter or Mike Come Back to L.A. would.

Did Mike Come Back To L.A. ever have any verse lyrics? It never sounded like anything but the guys vamping.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 08:17:57 AM »

Well, I think the "It's OK" connection is really only that someone noodled on that riff. I guess "Some of Your Love" could segue into "It's OK" in that they're both generally similar songs, though it would border on redundant. They were never of course in the setlist at the same time, with "It's OK" being added in 1976 and retained for a few years and then jettisoned by the end of 1979, only to briefly return in 1982 and then disappear until Mike added it to his show in the 2000s. Meanwhile, "Some of Your Love" was only in the setlist for several months in 1980.

As for that riff, perhaps it's not coincidental that of course the backing track to "It's OK" was recorded around late October of 1974 (though I can't say for sure that the little keyboard/synth overdub is from that session), while "Child of Winter", using that same riff as a bed for the entire songs, was recorded around November 18 of 1974.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx