gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:22:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tones  (Read 2116 times)
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »

Was Tones a Brian Wilson composition, or a Carl Wilson Composition? I have heard it both ways. Also, was tones really written for a possible track on the Pet Sounds album? Thanks!

windchimes
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 10:40:46 AM »

I don't think Tones was to be included on any album. 

http://smileysmile.net/tones.html#toptones

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:22:31 PM »

Why not? It was a reasonably completed Carl Wilson-produced backing track. One can only assume it was meant for SOMEthing.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:49:29 PM »

Why not? It was a reasonably completed Carl Wilson-produced backing track. One can only assume it was meant for SOMEthing.

"I think you're overestimating the Beach Boys' capacity to make logical decisions in 1967"
Bruce Johnston, in the Male Ego Board

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 02:56:31 PM »

Also, was tones really written for a possible track on the Pet Sounds album? Thanks!

windchimes

Seeing as the first session for "Tones" was on March 3, 1967, I have my doubts it was intended for Pet sounds.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »

LOL

Nah, I think he meant SMiLE. Even then, though, considering SMiLE was officially dead in May, and realistically was already on life support by then, I doubt that too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »

I think the guy thought of the Remember The Zoo debacle, in which Tones was slotted.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 10:38:52 AM »

I think the guy thought of the Remember The Zoo debacle, in which Tones was slotted.

Interesting to note that the first AFM sheet for "Tones" lists the artist as "Carl Wilson" and the employer as "Brother Records", whereas on later documentation for subsequent sessions (including the vocal session), the artist is "The Beach Boys" and the employer is "Capitol Records". 
Would almost seem that this was a track Carl cut with the intention of eventually using it as either a solo vehicle or for an outside artist on the Brother label (which was intended for such creative outlets), but quickly diverted it to the Beach Boys. 

Also interesting is that musically, it sounds more like a Brian song of the era than what you might expect a Carl song to sound like.  As if Carl was "trying" to have this sound like Brian's music was soundng. 

C-Man
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx