gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:55:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Celebrate The News  (Read 3845 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »

Love this track and have a query: the high parts singing "no more (bad luck)" - are they female (Marilyn, Diane?) or Brian in a very high falsetto?

The opening "Hello" at the beginning is...Brian?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »

Love this track and have a query: the high parts singing "no more (bad luck)" - are they female (Marilyn, Diane?) or Brian in a very high falsetto?

The opening "Hello" at the beginning is...Brian?

I think Stephen Desper said earlier that the "Hello" was actually Carl?

One of my all-time faves too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:17:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »

I definitely hear Brian in there.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »

It's Dennis. Trust me...
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »

I always thought the "ooh la"'s at the end have Brian at the top of the stack.

Sidenote, the tightness of the rhythm of that part is amazing. They're just slightly late on the beat. Every. Damn. Time.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:40:22 AM »

He did. It is.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 02:32:03 AM »

Interesting how so many of the best backing vocals of this era are on Dennis tracks.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »

He did. It is.

I repeat: It's Dennis. Trust me...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »

Interesting how so many of the best backing vocals of this era are on Dennis tracks.

+1. Slip on Through (vocals only was a friggin' REVELATION).

Not to diminish Denny's greatness at all, but I wonder if Brian gave some uncredited vocal arrangement assists to some Denny songs of this era? I think we do know that this was the case on Little Bird.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:11:14 AM »

well  by 1969 he'd been studying at the feet of the master for many years.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »

He did. It is.

I do trust you.

Although,  although... I did find this:

[KingLouieLouie asks SWD]: (W)hat are your recollections of the "Celebrate the News" sessions? I love how detailed you were regarding its A-Side! Do you happen to remember who indeed was on bass and even the individual who said "Hello" (was it Dennis?) in the beginning? Thanks... your insight is greatly appreciated!

COMMENT:  "Hello" is spoken by Carl. It's a fluke. He was seeing how loud his voice was in his headphone by saying "hello" rather than "testing." Although the singing starts later the record button had already been pushed, so it captured his test. Everyone liked the way he said it, and it just became part of the song thereafter. Even in concert performances, he would speak the word.  I can't say for certain who played bass, but I would guess it was Brian.  Maybe someone has an AFM statement that indicates who played bass, but during those times Brian or Bruce were playing bass mostly. ~swd
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:32:43 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 02:31:09 PM »

He did. It is.

I do trust you.

[KingLouieLouie asks SWD]: (W)hat are your recollections of the "Celebrate the News" sessions? I love how detailed you were regarding its A-Side! Do you happen to remember who indeed was on bass and even the individual who said "Hello" (was it Dennis?) in the beginning? Thanks... your insight is greatly appreciated!

COMMENT:  "Hello" is spoken by Carl. It's a fluke. He was seeing how loud his voice was in his headphone by saying "hello" rather than "testing." Although the singing starts later the record button had already been pushed, so it captured his test. Everyone liked the way he said it, and it just became part of the song thereafter. Even in concert performances, he would speak the word.  I can't say for certain who played bass, but I would guess it was Brian.  Maybe someone has an AFM statement that indicates who played bass, but during those times Brian or Bruce were playing bass mostly. ~swd

No offense to Desper but he has also said they started recording "Good Timin'" in like 1969 and stuff like that. He was there for a lot and did some awesome, wonderful work, but his memory is a little off sometimes.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »

He did. It is.

I do trust you.

No offense to Desper but he has also said they started recording "Good Timin'" in like 1969 and stuff like that. He was there for a lot and did some awesome, wonderful work, but his memory is a little off sometimes.

OK. I'll keep that in mind. ;=)

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 03:36:43 PM »

He did. It is.

I do trust you.

OK. I'll keep that in mind. ;=)

Some people (like most) remember events and the people involved better than details about dates (unless they're computers).  Desper would likely remember this event without having kept a diary about dates and times.  He was busy doing his job. I trust Desper on this one.  Little things like that, people remember.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »

You're absolutely right. Memory for chronology of events is entirely different to memories of events themselves.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx