gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:12:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paley Sessions Discussion Thread  (Read 73762 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2017, 09:41:48 PM »

I have to wonder if Carl was already aware of his health issues in 95/early 96. It just seems so out of character for him to walk out of a session.

That has always been my own personal theory. He certainly wasn't looking well.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2017, 10:29:30 PM »

I have to wonder if Carl was already aware of his health issues in 95/early 96. It just seems so out of character for him to walk out of a session.

I also feel his lead on Soul Searchin' - even if not intended to be a final, released product - also sounds "off". Like he vocally aged twenty years in just the few years between, say Lahaina Aloha and Soul Searchin'. Something about his voice here sounds sorta raspy and weak (yet I still love the vocal - it doesn't sound like he phoned it in or anything like that). I wonder if this was due to illness.

When was his Waves of Love vocal recorded? I feel that one, even if from only a soundcheck (?) sounds more like Carl's old voice by comparison to my ears.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:16:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2017, 12:34:18 AM »

When i think about the beach boys i cant help but think of that Jack Riely quote about "they blew it, they continue to blow it..." etc. It seems like this whole thread is about missed opportunities and what could've been if it wasn't for _______. And I totally agree. I mean, after endless summer they had such a huge opportunity but they put out 15BO. And after Kokomo they put out Still Cruisin. They couldve made the Paley sessions instead of the country album, etc etc etc.
It's just funny that so much of the talk is about missed opportunities when we are talking about one of the most successful/famous american bands of all time. So many missed opportunities yet they've had something like 50  top 40 hits. I guess it begs the questions...Is it even possible for a band to fire on all cylinders and be that successful for so long? I cant think of any bands that have really made use of all of their opportunities for 50 years. The Beatles really seemed to knock it out of the park every time (even they had their screwups. "bigger than jesus" etc) but they were really only in the public eye for 7 years and the last year or two was pretty rough. Imagine if they were still together today. I cant imagine they wouldn't have had some screwups/missed opportunities/albums bomb/members leaving for a while, etc. 
What I'm saying is: instead of thinking of all the things they couldve done better (and there are so many) maybe they were lucky to have been as successful as they were when you realize how difficult is to have even 1 hit, to stay together as a band for more than a few years, to deal with the changing music landscapes and stay relevant...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 07, 2017, 06:10:30 AM »

Personally, I don't give a damn what some critics have to say. I enjoyed BW88, enjoyed "Kokomo", enjoyed the new songs on Still Cruisin'. I enjoyed seeing the band in the spotlight. By 1995, though, everything had changed. There weren't any 60's acts having hit singles in 1995/96, except maybe Eric Clapton. Even the Beatles reunion singles struggled to get airplay. I'm not even sure a new BB's album with Wilson/Paley material would have been a hit. Look at the sales for the 2 albums Brian had out that year - IJWMFTT and OCA. Sure, the reviews were mostly positive, but good reviews don't buy sales. No question it would have done better than SIP, but musically, anything they did in the 90's was going to be out of step with the then current trends in rock music. I would have bought it and loved it, I have no doubt about that.

Oh, I agree from a fan perspective that there's a ton of stuff *I* like as a hardcore fan. Same goes for BW '88. Hell, pretty much everything the band released in the 80s and 90s (and probably post-1966/67 for the most part) I like a lot more across the board than critics did. Other than "Wipe Out", there's nothing else on "Still Cruisin'" that I would typically skip over. I'd love to remix (and perhaps partially re-record) a bunch of stuff on "Still Cruisin'" and a few tracks on SIP that could sound a thousand times better. "Strange Things Happen" and "Lahaina Aloha" and "Make It Big" with either stripped-down mixes and/or remixed with re-recorded *real* thick drums would sound quite good.

But if we're putting our "objective" hats on and trying to tackle what would have achieved for the and some sort of "hit" or measurable "success" on the level of a "Kokomo", then I think it's no surprise that "Still Cruisin'" and "SIP" failed both because maybe "Kokomo" was a fluke in the first place, and those albums objectively were pretty wonky overall across the board in terms of composition and especially theme and production. Some stuff was just bad, and the stuff that wasn't bad and was catchy was often a played out, cliché, self-parodying thing or something bogged down in horrible production.

And again, the idea with the Paley stuff is not that they would have achieved a hit single. But they could have achieved a respectable album chart placement and, more important, more notices and buzz from the industry and critics. It can invariably turn into some sort of political, class, "elitist" sort of issue, but Mojo and Rolling Stone and all of that would have eaten up a Paley album with stuff like "You're Still a Mystery", while "Summer in Paradise" and its ilk (e.g. surf/tropical stuff penned by Love/Melcher and with Melcher producing) would have been ignored if not derided. A "Paley" album would not have hit #1, and I don't think critics would have all been united in giving the album an A+ (that would have depended on whether some of the weird stuff like "Saturday Morning in the City" had been included).

As for how a circa '96 BB album would have done compared to Brian's two '95 albums, it would have easily done much better. Look at how TWGMTR did in 2012 compared to Brian solo albums released in the immediate years before and after. The BB name always sells better. Comparing the two '95 Brian albums to a Paley/BB album is also difficult because Brian's two albums consisted of a *very short* album of remakes, and an album of stuff all penned by another guy ("OCA").

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: March 07, 2017, 06:21:10 AM »

I think it's unfair to pin the loss of the album solely on Mike's shoulders. I think there were just too many issues - including non-musical - that got in the way. I have to wonder if Carl was already aware of his health issues in 95/early 96. It just seems so out of character for him to walk out of a session.

Mike is on record with Peter Ames Carlin as being rather "meh, I guess we'll do it", so I don't think fault should lie solely with him. It's a bit like the "Smile" thing; he didn't bit the kibosh on it and you can't fault him, but his ambivalence or antipathy didn't help. He *could have* done more to help the Paley sessions along if he had wanted to. As I mentioned in a previous post, he wasn't doing what he loves to recount that he did with "Pet Sounds", which is taking the Paley stuff and joining himself to Brian at the hip and pounding down doors at record labels trying to get the stuff off the ground and released. He tried to "write" with Brian and could only come up with "Baywatch Nights" apparently, and then showed up to a few (or one?) vocal sessions for YSAM and SS and based on a first-hand account was somewhat antagonistic.

Clearly there were bunch of other factors, including Carl's attitude, BRI politics, other projects sidetracking the thing, maybe even the BB touring schedule, and so on. Not anywhere near solely Mike's fault, and not even really predominantly Mike's fault.

Regarding Carl's health, that's a difficult one to tackle. I'm not particularly apt to assume that prior to diagnosis Carl was already aware of being ill *and* that his being aware would have drastically impacted his behavior/attitude. It's obviously a very murky, subjective issue that we don't have enough info on. But if Carl walked out of a 1995 session, well before "Stars and Stripes" and before he did a full additional year of touring *before* a diagnosis, I'm more predisposed to pinning that on some other typical issue regarding inner-group politics, or family stuff, etc.

We know so very little about Carl's personality off-stage, especially in the later era. We've heard some accounts (and also seen signs in interviews) that by the early-mid 90s, certainly while Landy was still in the picture, Carl was *VERY* stressed out about Brian's situation. I think the evidence points to Carl's relationship with Brian being strained even after Landy was out of picture, for whatever reason or reasons, whether it was Landy talking s**t about Carl to Brian, or Carl feeling hurt by the fake autobiography, or whatever.

But there are also other undocumented (for fans anyway) times Carl was working with Brian during this timeframe. There's still that story of a Carl collaborator in the 90s tagging along to a session Carl was helping Brian with for "Proud Mary."

I also don't weigh the "Carl walked out of the session for non-musical reasons" story very heavily because A) The story has virtually *no* details outside of that one line, and B) He *later* did additional session(s) for the Paley material.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 07, 2017, 06:42:09 AM »

I also feel his lead on Soul Searchin' - even if not intended to be a final, released product - also sounds "off". Like he vocally aged twenty years in just the few years between, say Lahaina Aloha and Soul Searchin'. Something about his voice here sounds sorta raspy and weak (yet I still love the vocal - it doesn't sound like he phoned it in or anything like that). I wonder if this was due to illness.

When was his Waves of Love vocal recorded? I feel that one, even if from only a soundcheck (?) sounds more like Carl's old voice by comparison to my ears.

Interesting thought CD.

However, how do you think he sounds on "Dancin' the Night Away"/"Baywatch Nights"? Personally I think he sounds great. Super commercial great singing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 07, 2017, 07:22:25 AM »

For every reason given there are a handful of excuses and defenses given - That's just the nature of this band.

In terms of commercial viability and potential for that elusive "hit" whether real or imaginary in the minds of certain band members, just compare what is known and has been heard from the Paley/Was material versus what the Beach Boys actually presented to the public and the fans as whatever music they were promoting.

What comes to mind from this time is the Baywatch appearance: a newly-made video for "Summer Of Love" and focus on "Summer In Paradise" tying it into the plot of the episode. If putting "new material" on display and promoting it was the idea: Were those better choices to present as "new" Beach Boys product than the better songs from the Was sessions which could have been worked on and developed further? Or would it even have been better to just have them play an old favorite with the current lineup (minus Stamos and actually giving Brian something to do) ?

What they did feature on TV speaks volumes.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 07, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »

Interesting thought CD.

However, how do you think he sounds on "Dancin' the Night Away"/"Baywatch Nights"? Personally I think he sounds great. Super commercial great singing.

I'm just giving a listen to Dancin' the Night Away right now (hadn't heard it in awhile)... and while there is precious little amount vocals on that song for an opinion, I tend to think Carl sounds pretty good on it. For whatever reason, his somewhat changed (to my ears) voice seems to be localized to Soul Searchin'. But Soul Searchin' was a more demanding type of vocal for Carl by comparison; a whole song with lead, and pushing on the bridge a bit perhaps towards the edges of his then-range (I kinda doubt that Carl could have sang stuff like Darlin' at that point).

It's weird, because we have lots of examples of both Brian and Denny having degraded vocals, but with Carl, there's pretty much just Love You (and sorta kinda 15 Big Ones), and, IMO, Soul Searchin' (slightly degraded, but in a different way - maybe just due to the natural aging process, hard to know).

Side note: Mike sounds killer during his brief vocals on Dancin' the Night Away. No matter how frustrating it often is to like him as a dude, he surely brings it as a singer when he wants to. There's some real Carl/Mike BB vocal magic during that part. It pains me that Carl is gone and that Mike can't bring himself to work with the other living Boys anymore. Mike's voice when utilized tastefully can really elevate material, no doubt.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:23:57 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 07, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »

I don’t think Carl’s voice on “Soul Searchin’” sounds particularly uniquely different. That is, I do think his voice into the 90s did sound different, but I hear it across the board for the most part.

I’m not sure what the deal was with Carl’s voice or if it was anything other than just how his voice naturally aged. His voice didn’t even sound *worse* per se, but it definitely took on a very different tone in his later years, especially the 90s. It didn’t take any drastic turn the way Brian or Dennis did. But he did get a bit more raspy, and he kind of sounded “stuffy” for lack of a better way to put it, as if his sinuses were kind of blocked a bit or something. Hard to describe. But the tone I hear on “Soul Searchin’” is pretty similar to what I heard on a lot of live recordings from the 90s. Like everyone in the band, his touring voice surely had some ups and downs based on environmental and schedule factors. I’ve heard a few pretty raspy Carl recordings from the 90s (there’s one of the more common soundboard recordings from 1993 I believe where he sounds pretty raspy/froggy on “I Can Hear Music”); probably simple cases of over-touring or having a cold or something.

Interesting that “Waves of Love” was brought up, because his voice does sound super weird on that one (particularly the version in the higher key where they’ve isolated his voice instead of mixing it with other voices more), perhaps because it’s more processed and, on the version in the higher key, it almost sounds like they’ve tried altering the pitch without altering the speed, which can sound kinda weird too.

Let me reiterate that I don’t think he sounded bad in his late years, just relatively different. I was blown away by how good he sounded in the few extant bits of 1997 recordings I’ve heard. Sounds just as good as 1996, 95, etc.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 07, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »

And yet (IMHO) his vocals on BB85 were arguably the best of his career.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 07, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »

And yet (IMHO) his vocals on BB85 were arguably the best of his career.

True statement, and such a bizarre contradiction with the material.

Also gotta give a shout-out to Carl's vocals on Goin' On, especially on the last section of the song. They are SO good there, he sounds like he's almost channeling Freddie Mercury.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 07, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »

I'll go as far as saying Carl's vocals (and Al's too for that matter) on SIP were the best of his career, and the only reason to listen to that album. As an aside, while his vocals were indeed different in the 90's, I have always preferred Carl's live vocals from 93-onward.  Also, if anybody here ever got the chance to hear Carl warming up backstage before a concert you know that Carl could even sing the scales like nobody's business
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:52:36 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 07, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »

Carl singing those vocal warmup exercises -- OMG!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »

I began to worry about him when I saw them on Regis and Kathie Lee fall of 96. Carl had gained a lot of weight since I had last seen him, yeah, he did not look well. It still boggles my mind that with all the abuse Brian put his body through, that he has outlived his baby brother by many, many years.
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2017, 04:42:35 AM »

https://vimeo.com/212651044
randomly found this. footage from the same day when Brian and Mike were interviewed for an Entertainment Tonight segment in '95. includes footage of them on the beach, 35 min interview w/ Mike, some footage of Brian, Mike, Andy Paley, David Leaf, and Mark Linett in the studio listening to Baywatch Nights (Dancing the Night Away), and a brief interview w/ Brian.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:51:59 AM by Bittersweet-Insanity » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2017, 05:52:38 AM »

https://vimeo.com/212651044
randomly found this. outtakes from when Brian and Mike were interviewed for an Entertainment Tonight segment in '95. includes footage of them on the beach, 35 min interview w/ Mike, some footage of Brian, Mike, Andy Paley, David Leaf, and Mark Linett in the studio listening to Baywatch Nights (Dancing the Night Away), and a brief interview w/ Brian.

Nice! Thanks, HV. I've got it bookmarked. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 04, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »

THAT was a fascinating video. To see Brian and Mike in that environment in 1995 was quite something. You wonder things like, what was going through Mike's mind as he sits there in the studio between Brian and...David Leaf. Too bad there was no footage of Carl. That may have also been the most excruciating interview of Brian I've ever seen. How many times did he say how afraid he was? This shows how difficult it must be for those guys to be together, with Brian feeling the pressure to deliver. Much easier now to see why that album collapsed

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »

Which part has the Brian interview?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »

THAT was a fascinating video. To see Brian and Mike in that environment in 1995 was quite something. You wonder things like, what was going through Mike's mind as he sits there in the studio between Brian and...David Leaf. Too bad there was no footage of Carl. That may have also been the most excruciating interview of Brian I've ever seen. How many times did he say how afraid he was? This shows how difficult it must be for those guys to be together, with Brian feeling the pressure to deliver. Much easier now to see why that album collapsed

I enjoy most of his interviews even when he's a little off but this one was so rough I found it hard to watch. "Phil Spector's messengers"? What? The Spector obsession comes off a little alarming here. No Brianism, just sad. The facial tics are pretty bad too. Makes me feel sorry for the man. It's great to see him in the studio though.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »

Consider what Brian had just been through with Landy when you watch the interview at the end of that clip, and it will make sense. It's not like you go through almost being killed by a charlatan of a shrink and quack doctors and come out looking and acting like a movie star walking the red carpet. It was relatively not long before this clip that Brian had gotten out of the Landy mess.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »

Of course that plays into it. But whatever the reasons, after watching the video it is much easier to understand why this album didn't happen

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »

Of course that plays into it. But whatever the reasons, after watching the video it is much easier to understand why this album didn't happen

Do you mean from the studio footage at the end?  There's nothing there that would suggest it wouldn't happen, in fact Brian seems thrilled with the track they're working on (I fucking love it, he says), and Mike is engaged in the process too even though there is a little tension (unspoken) in that room. Brian says he called Carl and he would be at the studio soon, but we never see him before the video cuts off.

Just curious what you picked up on to think that clip shows troubled waters ahead. Brian and Mike working together, isn't that what so many fans wanted and still want to see?

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2017, 09:04:52 AM »

I don't know, it's subjective I guess. It just seemed uneasy to me, Brian as you sai d fragile from the recent Landry escape, talking repeatedly about how scared he was.  I can see Carl realizing after a period of time that the situation wasn't the best. I'm completely speculating of course

Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »

I don't know, it's subjective I guess. It just seemed uneasy to me, Brian as you sai d fragile from the recent Landry escape, talking repeatedly about how scared he was.  I can see Carl realizing after a period of time that the situation wasn't the best. I'm completely speculating of course

that makes sense. it's easy to see why Carl had such thoughts like thinking that Brian wouldn't be up to doing a Pet Sounds tour back then.

The song Unleash the Love can be apparently be dated to as far back as this period, as Mike mentions that it's one of the most commercial things he's conceived of and that Brian loves the lyrics.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:07:29 AM by Bittersweet-Insanity » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: November 05, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »

Maybe Carl was wrong, and maybe there were other issues behind Carl's veto of the whole thing which were more personal than thinking Brian wasn't up to the job. It's a pretty stark contrast to hear Don Was' and others descriptions of the "Paley Sessions" as full of energy and creative bursts in the studio during the process, and then hear speculation to line up with Carl's decision to scotch the whole shebang.

Yeah, Brian was still getting back in shape after the Landy mess, but reading how Don Was and others describe the sessions as they were happening, it suggests there was more going on with Carl personally than we've been able to hear that led to his decisions and disinterest. I don't think the whole story is "Carl didn't think Brian was up for it" especially since Brian had been recording dozens of songs and was excited about them before Carl vetoed it.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx