gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:55:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling Beatles Fans: Let's Settle This. Cry For A Shadow, Harrison or Sheridan  (Read 6780 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »

I know that this doesn't have anything to do with the subject of this thread, but since it's a Beatles question I thought I'd just throw it in here. I hope guitarfool2002 doesn't mind. My question is about the version of Please Please Me on the "Introducing The Beatles" album. Has this particular version of the song, with a lyric flub from John, ever been officially released on cd? If not, is this the only Beatles "rarity" that is to this day not readily available?

The US Album "The Early Years" has this mix.

I have an odd reissue of "Songs Pictures And Stories Of The Fabulous Beatles" on Vee Jay that I bought brand new from a record store in the 80's, it's the same as the original release minus that weird pseudo-gatefold cover thing from the 60's pressings. I haven't played that in literally over 20 years or more, but I will pull that out soon and give it a spin to see if it too has the "Please Please Me" mistake mix. I'm thinking it does, not as much from memory but also thinking Vee Jay had the master which contained that mistake mix to press their albums and would not have corrected it.

The variations of mixes on different releases is enough to make your head spin - Again, thinking you know all the info, you hear how some crazy "Revolver" pressing has or doesn't have a certain fadeout or something, and it's all new info to check out. I just heard something similar about Tomorrow Never Knows, how George Martin apparently pulled some releases and replaced TNN for all subsequent reissues, and I had no idea after all these years.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »

I have the "extended" UK version of Lewisohn's "Tune In", but I can't get to it right now. Does Lewisohn address the lead guitar on this song? As I recall, he dug up a ton of info on those sessions. He goes into excruciatingly awesome detail on the sessions.

Because of this discussion, I checked my (non-extended) copy the other day. He accepts the version that Harrison is playing the lead and that Lennon is playing a borrowed guitar. For what it's worth.

By the way, I really envy those who have the extended version. This book has brought me a great deal of joy over the last few years.

This is where the "ear test" and pure opinion comes into play, and I will freely admit that in this case. Just like Ian MacDonald cited a guitar which Harrison did not own when the track was cut, I do put a lot of stock into what Lewisohn uncovers and reports overall, but in my opinion my ears just don't back it up enough to be 100% sure in this case. If an 18 year old had been playing cheap guitars with high action and bad necks, combined with haphazard stringing and nothing resembling a "pro" setup, and if that same 18 year old had been finding ways to simulate string bends from the players he was trying to emulate as part of his learning process on the instrument, as a guitarist myself I find it hard to believe that same 18 year old could flick a switch and play precision bends and those kinds of leads in a studio setting for one song in 1961.

It is incomprehensible *to me*, and my ears don't hear it enough to be convinced, but that's part of the equation with some of these situations where the researchers may state something that the listeners or other researchers disagree with.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:46:57 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 01:37:49 AM »

I know that this doesn't have anything to do with the subject of this thread, but since it's a Beatles question I thought I'd just throw it in here. I hope guitarfool2002 doesn't mind. My question is about the version of Please Please Me on the "Introducing The Beatles" album. Has this particular version of the song, with a lyric flub from John, ever been officially released on cd? If not, is this the only Beatles "rarity" that is to this day not readily available?

The US Album "The Early Years" has this mix.

I have an odd reissue of "Songs Pictures And Stories Of The Fabulous Beatles" on Vee Jay that I bought brand new from a record store in the 80's, it's the same as the original release minus that weird pseudo-gatefold cover thing from the 60's pressings. I haven't played that in literally over 20 years or more, but I will pull that out soon and give it a spin to see if it too has the "Please Please Me" mistake mix. I'm thinking it does, not as much from memory but also thinking Vee Jay had the master which contained that mistake mix to press their albums and would not have corrected it.

The variations of mixes on different releases is enough to make your head spin - Again, thinking you know all the info, you hear how some crazy "Revolver" pressing has or doesn't have a certain fadeout or something, and it's all new info to check out. I just heard something similar about Tomorrow Never Knows, how George Martin apparently pulled some releases and replaced TNN for all subsequent reissues, and I had no idea after all these years.
You might enjoy this website. There is an article about a few "processed" version's of the "The Beatles" album, that were released by mistake. http://wogew.blogspot.com/

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx