gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:30:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do the Beach Boys Own Vinyl Collections?  (Read 3359 times)
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »

Sitting back, contemplating my own collections, I suddenly wondered if Brian or any of the guys has a special room where he keeps 50 years plus of accumulated vinyl? Does Brian still have the copy of Rubber Soul that inspired him to do PS? What about Introducing The Fabulous Rosettes?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 03:03:49 PM »

There's a recent interview with Mike floating around in which he said that vinyl is still the best way to listen to the Beach Boys' recordings and his daughter collects vinyl, so I assume he has some kind of setup. Other than that, haven't heard anything. He also said recently that Leonard Cohen's first album was one of his favorites when it came out ... wonder if he still has a copy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:04:51 PM by DonnyL » Logged

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »

I would love to see what Al Jardine has, he has a Jukebox and I think he had 10" 78 BB records pressed to go in it.
I think he would be the preserver more than the rest.  Brian, I would doubt plays records these days, he says many
times he just listens to the oldies radio.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »

Well I have a 1973 interview with Brian where he plays dj for the journalist and keeps digging out ancient 45s from his collection to play for him.  So Brian maintained a vinyl collection into the 1970s but I wouldn't be surprised if it all ended up with Marilyn when they split in 79 though I really have no idea
Scaroline No
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »

When was it that Brian went into a record store and realized that he didn't actually own a copy of Pet Sounds and so he bought it? I wonder if the guy selling it to him had any idea...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »

I bet Mike has a full warehouse collection of unsold LBWL records...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »

I could totally see Al, Bruce, and David kicking back with their LP's. Mike doesn't strike me as one that does...and Brian probably has boxes upon boxes of records that he doesn't listen to.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 07:06:35 PM »

even the one or two recentish photo's of Brian at home show him with Cd's, no vinyl.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 10:27:10 PM »

When was it that Brian went into a record store and realized that he didn't actually own a copy of Pet Sounds and so he bought it? I wonder if the guy selling it to him had any idea...

Did this actually happen?

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 12:36:56 AM »

Well I have a 1973 interview with Brian where he plays dj for the journalist and keeps digging out ancient 45s from his collection to play for him.  So Brian maintained a vinyl collection into the 1970s but I wouldn't be surprised if it all ended up with Marilyn when they split in 79 though I really have no idea

As a guy who owns a record store and collects obscure 45s, I would LOVE to know what Brian was digging out of his box that day.
Scaroline No
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 05:17:53 AM »

I'm sure I read it somewhere, would be great if someone else can confirm so I know I'm not imagining it, lol!
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »

I'm sure I read it somewhere, would be great if someone else can confirm so I know I'm not imagining it, lol!

I remember reading about it the "I am Brian Wilson" book from last year.

Jon G.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »

I feel like remember hearing that Bruce was a fan of stuff like that, bootlegs and whatnot, so I can't find it too difficult to imagine him owning a bootleg vinyl of SMiLE or the likes of.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »

I remember reading about it the "I am Brian Wilson" book from last year.

Yes. And it was a CD he bought from Tower records, so that must have been prior to 2006.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

There's a quote I recall from Bruce about not having certain music in his house but I can't recall the context, maybe the mid-70s albums when he was on hiatus. If someone can dig that out, I'd be grateful.
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »

Not one of them collects. I asked them all in the 80s. I was told Bruce did, but no. They were totally uninterested and not informed.

Brian himself seemed to be impressed by my book "This whole world", wich shows all the 45 covers around the world.
I gave it to him and he signed one to me. But Jeff and Billy  (who wrote a foreword) were most interested.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:13:44 AM by Manfred » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx