gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:25:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Recording: "Melt Away" Cover  (Read 5933 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »

Someone at PSF did a version of "Melt Away," which reminded me how cool a song I think it is. So, having not recorded in like 6-9 months (wow) and with distractions out of the house, I decided to throw together a quick version, myself. It's primarily just piano and lead vocal, though there's a bit more to it, especially at the end. But it was also pretty quickly arranged and recorded, mostly first takes, so forgive any blunders you catch. Try to convince yourself they're charming.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/melt-away

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »

great job Captain.  Great song, how well I remember the first time I heard it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:06:06 PM »

Great version full of heart and soul. Do some more stuff soon!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 05:34:45 AM »

Thanks wilsonart1 and SB. But as for

full of heart and soul.

nah. Just notes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »

True! You should do some more BW/BBs stuff because your voice is well suited to it.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »

Thanks. I try to stay away from covers mostly, primarily because (especially considering how rarely I get around to recording anything) I'd rather focus on my own stuff. But when I do covers, I usually try to do my own arrangements, figuring it's a waste of time to try to outdo the original songs in the original ways. I have actually done quite a few Beach Boys or BW tunes in that spirit. I've got at least Aren't You Glad, Forever, I'll Bet He's Nice, The Night Was So Young, Surfs Up, God Only Knows, I'd Love Just Once to See You, Meant For You, Til I Die, Time To Get Alone, You Still Believe in Me, and Wind Chimes. Probably others, too.

I also did a few other Love You and Pet Sounds tunes WAY back--like circa 2001 or so?--but I don't know if I have any/most of those at all anymore, and I'd hate to hear them if I did.  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 07:31:14 AM »

Cool that you have done those covers of BBs songs. Are they on your soundcloud? (except the Captain love you  Grin)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »

No, all I've got online is what's under the account i used for Melt Away.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »

I posted a few more in a specific playlist for the time being. They may not remain up too long, but have a listen now if you'd like.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/sets/b-wilson-beach-boys-covers

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »

Thanks Cap, I need some good music after fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (superbowl vacation) last week.

Scaroline No
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »

I posted a few more in a specific playlist for the time being. They may not remain up too long, but have a listen now if you'd like.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/sets/b-wilson-beach-boys-covers

I love your cover of I'd Love Just Once to See You! It's sooooo great!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate that.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »

Agreed Caroline, the Captain is peppy when he needs to be! Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »

Am I supposed to add peppy to my sig?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »

Yes! LOL

Scaroline No
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »

There is actually one word in the first line of your signature that doesn't have an adjective... seems like a good place for it  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:16:45 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »

Isn't demon-fighting an adjective!?

Also I just added one more, my old, old "I'll Bet He's Nice," which I show as recorded in '01. Always liked it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:18:51 PM by the captain » Logged

Scaroline No
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »

Also I just added one more, my old, old "I'll Bet He's Nice," which I show as recorded in '01. Always liked it.

I was pointing at "songs" but "Peppy Demon-Fighting Genius" gives me a fun picture in my brain  LOL

And I'm checking out your IBHN cover stat, I friggin' love the shiat out of that song.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »

Its good! Smiley

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 01:24:09 PM »

I was pointing at "songs" but "Peppy Demon-Fighting Genius" gives me a fun picture in my brain  LOL

And I'm checking out your IBHN cover stat, I friggin' love the shiat out of that song.

LOL I see now. I definitely like peppy before demon-fighting genius more than before songs. Though let's be honest, it's a lie either way.

And thanks re IBHN. Very kind.

Scaroline No
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 01:27:43 PM »

Its good! Smiley

It is! I love how you set the mood kind of a bit more on the melancholy side at first, that was a really nice touch.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 05:16:56 PM »

Nice song selection. I enjoyed the playlist. Especially incorporating You've Touched Me into Where Has Love Been. That was awesome!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 05:45:27 PM »

Thank you. I like that kind of thing. I have an old Wendy/Cool Cool Water somewhere, too, with an old band.

SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »

Someone at PSF did a version of "Melt Away," which reminded me how cool a song I think it is. So, having not recorded in like 6-9 months (wow) and with distractions out of the house, I decided to throw together a quick version, myself. It's primarily just piano and lead vocal, though there's a bit more to it, especially at the end. But it was also pretty quickly arranged and recorded, mostly first takes, so forgive any blunders you catch. Try to convince yourself they're charming.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/melt-away
Nice piano. Vocals need a smidge of work.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:04:00 PM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »

Your feedback means a lot to me.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx