gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:09:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smilers Make "Friends"  (Read 17170 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 10:03:59 AM »

We did Little Bird too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEqmj9Q0N6s

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »

Is anyone opposed to doing another interpretation of Little Bird, etc. that has already been covered?  What is the consensus?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 01:02:22 PM »

Not opposed at all!

Billy, I would love your vocals on the BHITM track, especially for the low parts of "lit all my incense..." and "no calls from..."

Would work for me, although I'm used to doing the higher parts!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »

Is anyone opposed to doing another interpretation of Little Bird, etc. that has already been covered?  What is the consensus?

I'm not opposed. Especially since we aren't doing exact copies (and this means the Meant For You I spearheaded a couple years ago can be forgotten about for this project. So if anyone wants to tackle that too feel free!).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »

Thread for Anna Lee:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24857.msg603581/topicseen.html#msg603581
KaylaWilliamsMusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »

I'd love to be involved in this project! Fun!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »

The stuff involved is way over my head (technically, if not musically) but I support it 100%. Really looking forward to the outcome!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:29 PM »

I'd love to be involved in this project! Fun!
I have heard some of your covers!  Love your voice and the spin you have put on these songs!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »

Recorded a quick and very rough demo of 'Be Here In The Mornin' - definitely of the style of my 'Wild Honey' cover and really different from the original tune. I tried to keep the same vocal melody for the most part, but I put in a whole different chorus (with mostly the same lyrics as the original song).

The instrumentation on the final version would be very different; if someone here plays a ukulele I think that would sound great for the verses. I think a timpani on the chorus would sound good - though I'm guessing that'll have to be done via MIDI instruments. Give me your ideas, suggestions, criticisms. I know this is miles away from being perfect so I'm open to any and all suggestions!

https://soundcloud.com/hal2591/be-here-in-the-morning-demo-beach-boys-cover

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »

Recorded a quick and very rough demo of 'Be Here In The Mornin' - definitely of the style of my 'Wild Honey' cover and really different from the original tune. I tried to keep the same vocal melody for the most part, but I put in a whole different chorus (with mostly the same lyrics as the original song).

The instrumentation on the final version would be very different; if someone here plays a ukulele I think that would sound great for the verses. I think a timpani on the chorus would sound good - though I'm guessing that'll have to be done via MIDI instruments. Give me your ideas, suggestions, criticisms. I know this is miles away from being perfect so I'm open to any and all suggestions!

May I have all the stems (parts) just to practice mixing?  I want to see what I could do with it.  I really like what you're going for here, and the change in melody is really interesting, and I am sure some of the original harmonies could somehow be incorporated in the background, while keeping your vision.  I'd have to think about that...  My only suggestion for how the song should play out is that I think the playing should reflect the waltz tempo a bit more.  I also have a timpani (midi) vst plug in I could use!  Good work, and best wishes mate!  Thanks for getting the ball rolling.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 12:48:47 PM »

Damn, but you are a talented dude.   Cool I love how you somehow turned it into a totally different song.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »

kick the dog and clean the barn you got my baggy trousers in a bind!  I would so buy a CD of your music.  WilsonArt is so darn proud.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »

Thanks so much for the compliments Smiley I promise when the final version comes out with all of us on it it'll be a heck of a lot better.

@ForHerCryingSoul, I will try to upload the different files to dropbox asap - sadly my internet sucks and there are 19 tracks in total (after double tracking each vocal and the guitars) so it'll take a while. That being said, what recording program do you use (and pardon if you've already answered this question, my memory is admittedly dreadful haha? I'm sure I could load up the Logic file to dropbox if you have that program.

I totally agree about getting some of that waltz tempo back - I don't think we'd have to stray too far from what I've done to get that, either. I have a timpani plug in (stock from Logic Pro) but yours may sound better so we can give that a shot. Thanks for listening and I'll get with you via PM about those individual tracks if I can find the time to export them.

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »

@ForHerCryingSoul, I will try to upload the different files to dropbox asap - sadly my internet sucks and there are 19 tracks in total (after double tracking each vocal and the guitars) so it'll take a while. That being said, what recording program do you use (and pardon if you've already answered this question, my memory is admittedly dreadful haha? I'm sure I could load up the Logic file to dropbox if you have that program.

I totally agree about getting some of that waltz tempo back - I don't think we'd have to stray too far from what I've done to get that, either. I have a timpani plug in (stock from Logic Pro) but yours may sound better so we can give that a shot. Thanks for listening and I'll get with you via PM about those individual tracks if I can find the time to export them.
I actually use Fruity Loops.  It can take flac files (or wav's if you prefer)!  Dropbox sounds good.  One thing that would make the upload faster is if you put all your stems (parts) into a zip folder and upload it that way. 
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »

Hey Rab if you need someone to do ukulele still just PM me the chords and stuff and we can sort something out
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »

Thanks, Seagull Merlin! I'm playing this with my capo on the first fret, but I was thinking about doing without the capo, so hopefully that makes the chords on the uke easier to play. I'll send the chords asap.

bullman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »

If you're amenable to vocal percussion rather than actual sticks & trap, I'm interested.
My style is more traditional than hip hop, might fit nice and give a cool twist. Your call...

Tim Drumroll

Who doesn't at least Smile during first 15 seconds of "Little Pad"?
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 02:01:10 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/falklandrecords/be-still-sidh-session-mix-1/s-hyfqV

this is a very rough and I mean very rough idea for be still, I could have gone the organ route but I'm thinking guitar or ukulele. If anyone feels they can lend to this concept I'd love to hear!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »

Harmonies with Rab? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/falklandrecords/be-still-sidh-session-mix-1/s-hyfqV

this is a very rough and I mean very rough idea for be still, I could have gone the organ route but I'm thinking guitar or ukulele. If anyone feels they can lend to this concept I'd love to hear!
I like this take and the general idea you are going for.  For some reason this song reminds me of A Time to Live in Dreams.  Was that written by Kalinch as well?  Anyway, harmonies in the following voices would sound nice.  Whatever I would do, I wouldn't make them too ornate, because we are going for humbleness in these songs, right?  My only criticism of the actual performance is I noticed some bum notes, but as you said, this is a very rough take.  I think you did a great job with it!
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »

Yes for sure there was some bum notes! But yes this was just for a basic idea, I'd love some harmony with me as well but I'll have to get the actual track finished first. And thank you for the kind words!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »

ima do wake the world asap Tongue

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »

ima do wake the world asap Tongue
Ack I want to do the top harmony block (if that is okay)!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »

back

Mine sucks anyway https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B64cWKmpdZP_OTU4dTVENEZ0bEU

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »

"ack" was a reaction, not the word "back" lol.  Also I'll try to make a scratch vocal of the track, following your backing track's tempo, because I enjoy the direction this is going in.  I also like the "spooky" background voice!  I think one thing that could help vocals is to double everything.  I'll see what I can do and upload it tomorrow!  Good work!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx