gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:20:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smilers Make "Friends"  (Read 17169 times)
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »

I'm not sure if has been done before but I think it would be cool if the musicians on the board got together to do the friends album end to end (maybe even tack on an outtake or two like "we're together again". Would anyone be interested? I'm just putting out feelers for it would love to hear what people think!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »

Not sure if you were around for this but many of us got together and made a cover of 'Meant For You' following the melody of the MiC version a couple years ago.

https://m.soundcloud.com/hal2591/meant-for-you-the-beach-boys

Niko played the trumpet (and a sweet mandolin at the end), Robert played a beautiful clarinet melody (these guys went on to make the PS forum so their involvement in any future Smiley Smile projects is questionable). Seltaeb (I think) did a background harmony. I sang the lead and many of the harmonies and put together the whole track.

I would love to collaborate on something like this. However my time is really limited these days so it would be a slow going project. There is so much talent here that definitely should be utilized!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »

I hadn't heard that before it's very well done, yeah I'm not looking for a quick project I don't care if it takes a long time. Just want to have some fun with it  Cheesy
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »

I'll do 'Transcendental Meditation'

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 02:34:26 PM »

All of it??  Grin

If it's like that than I would like to start doing Anna Lee the Healer.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 02:39:46 PM »

All of it??  Grin

I honestly don't know haha. I'd like to be apart of it but I don't know how to share stuff or collaborate over the internet, I'm not very tech-savvy compared to most people on here I think.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »

All of it??  Grin

I'll make a separate thread about this specific song because I would like to add some more stuff to it, and I might need some help (with percussion, especially).  Expect a thread later today.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »

I honestly don't know haha. I'd like to be apart of it but I don't know how to share stuff or collaborate over the internet, I'm not very tech-savvy compared to most people on here I think.
I am sure we could help you out.  I guess you could tell us how you'd like to start it, and we can go from there.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »

Really sorry for the triple-speed posting, but I honestly think I could match the timbre of the falsetto vocals on the album, if anyone is going that route with their songs, message me.  Hopefully that made some sense...   Razz
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 02:45:40 PM »

I am sure we could help you out.  I guess you could tell us how you'd like to start it, and we can go from there.

If I posted something on soundcloud could others add to it somehow?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »

If I posted something on soundcloud could others add to it somehow?

So what we did before (we actually had Smiley Smile song collaborations often) was assign people certain parts that they'd be best suited for. The person mixing would make a simple backing track for others to follow (whether for instruments or vocals), then each person would record and send their parts back to the person mixing (usually through email or dropbox so the highest quality files could be sent).

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »

If people want to claim songs that could work, but a collaboration I think would be more fun, the talent is definitely here
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 05:25:58 PM »

I'll take 'Be Here In The Mornin' but I will definitely ask those who want to help to pitch in!...be it vocals or any instruments. I play guitar, limited keyboard, and can do vocals. I'll probably sing lead on this but would love any vocalists to help with backing vocals.

Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »

I'll take Be Still just to practice to see how well I can pull off singing Dennis again and if it goes well I can lend my voice to others
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »

I'll take 'Be Here In The Mornin' but I will definitely ask those who want to help to pitch in!...be it vocals or any instruments. I play guitar, limited keyboard, and can do vocals. I'll probably sing lead on this but would love any vocalists to help with backing vocals.
I seem to be very good with *any* backing vocals.  I also have a real upright piano to record as well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:20:22 PM by ForHerCryingSoul » Logged
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »

Here's a question, should we try to make each song different or should we try to match the style of the album?  It can go either way or be a mixture of both, but I am in the camp that thinks that going in a different direction would put a unique spin on the songs.  Sort of like that great Wild Honey cover recently.  Smiley
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »

I think taking a twist on things is nice but kind of keep the same mellow vibe, if that works for people
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »

Here's a question, should we try to make each song different or should we try to match the style of the album?  It can go either way or be a mixture of both, but I am in the camp that thinks that going in a different direction would put a unique spin on the songs.  Sort of like that great Wild Honey cover recently.  Smiley

That was a great cover!

I think we should try and do them differently like that. I think they'd be a little boring if they were exact replicas (no offense to any exact replicas who might read this).

And yeah, what the seagull said

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »

I'd like to be involved in this vocally.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »

Billy, I would love your vocals on the BHITM track, especially for the low parts of "lit all my incense..." and "no calls from..."

@ForHerCryingSoul, an upright piano sounds like it would be amazing, so whatever tracks you want to put that in (as well as vocals) would be awesome.

And as for doing more unique versions of these songs I totally agree. I was thinking earlier that the songs on Friends are so perfect that it would be so hard to emulate...could be best to add our own flavor to them.

And Seagull Merlin, can't wait to hear your voice on Be Still. If you need any help with instruments or anything feel free to ask.

Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 10:18:36 PM »

be still is going to be a quick one to do, just a matter of what I want to play with my voice. I'd love to do Passing By with a few people, it's always been a highlight of mine on that album
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »

I'm just gonna say I'm probably not gonna like the cover of 'Busy Doin Nothin' because I love  's version too much. Sorry in advance.

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »

I'm just gonna say I'm probably not gonna like the cover of 'Busy Doin Nothin' because I love  's version too much. Sorry in advance.
I sense a challenge brewing lol
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »

be still is going to be a quick one to do, just a matter of what I want to play with my voice. I'd love to do Passing By with a few people, it's always been a highlight of mine on that album
I think it would be interesting to have a part of Passing By with the unused lyrics...  Wink
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »

If people want to claim songs that could work, but a collaboration I think would be more fun, the talent is definitely here
IMO, I think the thing we will all need to keep in mind is that Friends was a true group effort, and I think to keep the mellow vibe and relaxing nature, we gotta keep our projects open to collaboration and perhaps reinterpretations as they take shape.  It is ultimate Brian-ception!   
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx