gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:18:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This week in BB History-Feb 8-16  (Read 1454 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:58:59 AM »

Feb 8 1962 at World Pacific Studios in Hollywood the BBs record early versions of Surfin’ Safari and Surfer Girl as well as Judy and Karate. Feb 10 1962- The BBs probably appeared (though unbilled) on the local TV show Dance Party broadcast on KRLA TV from the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium-with James Darren, Frankie Avalon, The Surfmen, Gene McDaniels, Della Reese and Bobby Rydell.  It was shortly after this appearance that Al apparently decided to exit the group.

Feb 9 1963-The BBs recorded the track for The Ballad of Ol’ Betsy. They also played the first of two days of shows at the Rod & Custom Car Show at the Great Western Exhibit Center in Los Angeles.  They were working on the Surfin’ USA album and were back in the studio on February 11 to record Misirlou, The Noble Surfer, Honky Tonk, Lets Go Trippin, Farmers Daughter and Lana. On Feb 12 they recorded Stoked, Surf Jam and Finders Keepers. On February 15 they performed at the Hawthorne HS Valentine’s Dance without Dennis who’d injured his leg. He also missed their appearance the next day at a KFWB Charity Show at the LA Sports Arena with Bobby Vinton, Ann Margaret, Chris Montez and others.

Feb 8 1964-The BBs, only recently back from Australia and New Zealand, performed at the Pavalon Skating Rink in Huntington Beach, CA-with the Surf Riders.  Feb 12 1964-This was probably the day that Brian added his lead to the track of “Don’t Worry Baby” recorded in January.  Feb 16 1964 at United Recorders Brian participated at a Jan and Dean session-singing backing vocals on “Ride the Wild Surf.”  Mark Moore has a transcript of part of the chatter at this session in his book.

Feb 12 1965-The BBs flew into Philadelphia at 440 PM to perform at the Convention Hall.  Brian was with them for the opening dates of this important tour.  The two shows at the Academy of Music in New York brought out the press and Brian handled himself well fielding most of their questions at a conference before they performed.  A German TV crew filmed the group for a documentary on the Yonkers Rock n’ rods auto club but the footage has not surfaced.  The next day Brian and the BBs played the Mosque Theater in Newark, NJ with The Magnificent Seven.

Feb 9 1966 The BBs work on Hang On To Your Ego and vocals for Caroline No.  The next day they flew to San Diego to take the LP cover photo at the Zoo. Brian was back at work on the track for Don’t Talk the next day.  On February 14 the BBs worked on I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times, on the 15th they worked on the track for That’s Not Me and on the 16th they recorded vocals for Wouldn’t It Be Nice, You Still Believe In me and Hang Onto Your Ego.  During this session Bruce popped next door to meet Elvis who was recording a soundtrack at Western.  Brian was too afraid to come with him.

Feb 9 1967- Brian produced Teeter Totter Love for Jasper Daily.  The next day he was at Columbia to add overdubs to You Are My Sunshine.  The other BBs had flown to Florida to start a tour with Question Mark and the Mysterians, Keith, the Electric Prunes and The Left Banke.  They played at the Miami Beach Convention Hall that night.  The next day they were at the Bayfront Center Arena in St. Petersburg and on February 12 they appeared at the Civic Auditorium in Jacksonville.   While the BBs were in Jacksonville, Brian produced Crack The Whip and When I Get Mad I Just Play My Drums for Jasper Daily.  On February 14 1967 the tour played at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro.  On Feb 15, 1967 Brian worked on the Heroes and Villains track for the millionth time.  The BBs probably played somewhere that day but I haven’t found it. On Feb 16 1967 they were at Roberts Stadium in Evansville, IN.

Feb 8 1969 The BBs were on tour in Texas with the Bob Segar System, Rene and Rene and Joe Hicks. They played two shows at the Music Hall in Houston that night. The next day they played the State Fair Music Hall in Dallas and the Will Rogers Auditorium in Fort Worth. On Feb 10 they appeared at the Memorial Coliseum in Corpus Christi, TX.  Dennis apparently “got sick” before the show and missed the rest of the tour.  He wasn’t with them at the Municipal Auditorium in Austin on Feb 11 or the Heart O’ Texas Coliseum in Waco on Feb 12 1969.  But he was well enough to work on the track of Got To Know the Woman at Sunset Sound on February 13 and 14.

Little Richard appeared at the Coconut Grove between Feb 3 and 14 1970 and some BBs attended one of the shows and invited him to Brian’s. Mike was having some difficulties during this period due to over fasting (I think he talks about it in his book as does Gaines in his). Feb 14, 1970 the BBs appearance on the Something Else TV Show apparently filmed in New Orleans aired on this day. It may have been taped sometime before.  They mimed to Good Vibrations (this was a clip that showed BBs in various places-Mike on a bridge, Dennis with a beard kissing a girl and some of the footage can be seen in the Endless Harmony Documentary) and Cotton Fields (This performance is seen in Endless Harmony with the BBs performing outside)

Circa Feb 10-13 1974-Bob Harris and BBC Producer/writer Jeff Griffin were in LA to tape interviews with the BBs and their family for the truly great radio documentary The Beach Boys Story for BBC Radio 1.  They also accompanied them on the road when they headed to Montana State University in Bozeman on Feb 14, Utah State University in Logan on Feb 15 with Jim Stafford and the Fasching Festival at the University of Montana in Missoula with Jim Stafford on Feb 16 1974.

Feb 12, 1975 Dennis held a session for Holy Man, Slow Blues and Pacific Ocean Blue. Feb 9 1977 Brian worked on Still I Dream of It. The next day Dennis held an overdub session for Pacific Ocean Blues (Bass and horn overdubs).  Feb 11 1978 Carl held a session for a song called “It Could Be Anything”.  February 16 and 17 1978 the BBs played at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas. Brian was there and I related an amusing story told to me by new band member Sterling Smith in my book with Jon.  Circa Feb 1979-the BBs filmed a performance of songs from the LA Light album-including “Good Timin” (seen in Endless Harmony) and Here Comes the Night.

Feb 11 1980 the BBs worked on the 1968 Can’t Wait Too Long for possible inclusion on KTSA.  Feb 14 1980 they worked on Living with a Heartache and Goin’ On.  Feb 12 1981 all six members appeared at The Summit in Houston, TX.  Randy Meisner and The Silverados opened this tour.  The next night they played the University of Texas at Austin, TX and then appeared at LSU in Baton Rouge on Feb 14 1981 and the Reunion Arena in Dallas on Feb 15.  They were at the Bicentennial Center in Salina, Kansas on Feb 16.

Feb 15 to 20 1984 the BBs played their first shows after the death of Dennis at Harrah’s Tahoe.  They were there again from February 12 to 14 1985.  Feb 8 1987 the BBs played the Coliseum in Richmond, VA then headed to Morehead University in Kentucky on Feb 9-where John Stamos played drums.  They played at Notre Dame on Feb 10 with Joan Jett and then again played Harrah’s Tahoe from Feb 12-15 1987.  Feb 1988 Brian’s sole album was being mixed that month at A&M. On Feb 8, 1988 Brian worked on the song “Hotter”.  Feb 10 and 11 1989 the BBs played at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos, CA.

Feb 7 to 11 1991 the BBs were on tour in the Midwest and played at Wright State University in Dayton, the Fox Theatre in Detroit, the Front Row Theater in Highland Heights, OH and the Riverside Theater in Milwaukee.  Feb 16 1993 the BBs played the Stock Show and Rodeo, Freeman Coliseum in San Antonio.  Feb 14 1994 Brian and Carnie appeared on Entertainment Tonight to discuss working on Rob Wasserman’s Trio album.  Feb 13 1996 the BBs had a recording session in Hollywood at Capitol for the Stars and Stripes LP. They worked on Caroline No.

Feb 13 1998-Mike and the California Beach Band-composed of Matt Jardine, Richie Cannata, Mike Kowalski, Mike Meros, Philip Bardowell, Tim Bonhomme, Chris Farmer and David Marks played the Audubon Ballroom in Tampa, FL, a week after Carl’s death.  In Feb 1999 the Mike BBs played the San Francisco Marriot with Dean Torrence on the 9th, the Convention Center in Visalia, CA on the 12th and the Konocti Harbor Resort in Kelseyville, CA on February 13 and 14th.

Feb 11-14, 2000 the BBs were at the Konocti Center again and then played the Civic Arts Plaza in Thousand Oaks, CA and at Coachella Valley on the 14th.  I could go on but I think I’ll stop there.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »

Thanks a bunch, Ian. It makes fascinating reading, as always.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »

Glad to oblige as time permits
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »

Good list; for sake of completeness, you might take note of Feb. 8, 1968, I believe - date when writer/reporter Lewis Lapham (later of Harpers Magazine) visited the Beach Boys at Bellagio Rd. to discuss, among other things, the Maharishi and TM, etc.  All the Boys were there except Mike, and Lapham later wrote that Dennis was at the piano working on "Be Still" at the time, during the interview.  It also came up that there was talk that day about getting Murry to sit down with the Maharishi (a plan which presumably never came to fruition but is more or less backed up by Mike Love's recent book). The source for this encounter is Lapham's book, With the Beatles.

Also worth noting is that if I'm not mistaken Feb. 9 1964 was the date of the Beatles' first, historic, Ed Sullivan performance - Brian wrote a brief Foreword to a book about the Beatles called 10 Years That Shook The World (pub. 2004), and there he says that he was at the Rovell household watching the show as it aired.  Brian's first autobiography says that he was working on skeletal, piano-demo versions of "I Get Around" and "Wendy" that same night on the Rovells' piano.  A less-than-reliable book overall, but I tend to believe little details like that.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »

I don't recall the Lapham interview-where did you read it?
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »

Lapham did interview the group that day, but as far as I know there is no published Q&A-style interview of the exchange.  If this is true, it is probably because the Beach Boys were not the focus of the story that he was researching; what he was doing, I believe, was getting some background information to prepare some kind of writing about the TM trend, the Maharishi, the Beatles and Rishikesh.  Some L.A. TM guy hooked up Lapham with the Beach Boys for the interview.  Whether that story was printed or not I don't know; it may have been for the Saturday Evening Post or some publication like that, I don't know.  Anyway, I'm getting all of this from probably no more than a couple of paragraphs in a book Lapham published called With The Beatles.  As the title suggests, the Beatles are the focus, not the Beach Boys; I don't recall reading anything in that book that related to the Beach Boys (or Mike Love hanging around Rishikesh - for that go to Mike's book or maybe the McCartney book by Barry Miles) besides the brief description of the meeting at the house in Bel-Air.  Look on the net for a "Longform" podcast with Lapham; he probably talks a little about it there, though I haven't listened to it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »

Good list; for sake of completeness, you might take note of Feb. 8, 1968, I believe - date when writer/reporter Lewis Lapham (later of Harpers Magazine) visited the Beach Boys at Bellagio Rd. to discuss, among other things, the Maharishi and TM, etc.  All the Boys were there except Mike, and Lapham later wrote that Dennis was at the piano working on "Be Still" at the time, during the interview. 

Thanks for posting this info. I was writing in another post a while back about MLK's assassination occurring around the time that Friends was being recorded. The timing of the 'Be Still' recording date made me wonder if the song was written as a response to the shooting. This definitely disproves that theory. Still, I wonder if the event affected the emotion of the vocals being sung in that song.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 06:56:26 AM »

Feb 13 1998-Mike and the California Beach Band-composed of Matt Jardine, Richie Cannata, Mike Kowalski, Mike Meros, Philip Bardowell, Tim Bonhomme, Chris Farmer and David Marks played the Audubon Ballroom in Tampa, FL, a week after Carl’s death.  

From what I've been able to gather, "California Beach Band" was the name Mike toured under in 1998 while waiting to get the (at first) non-exclusive license to use the BB name. Despite a number of years of assumptions that he toured as "America's Band", it sounds like all of his non-"Beach Boys" gigs were under the "California Beach Band" name. But was Bruce not a part of those shows?

I know Mike had previously done gigs under the "Endless Summer Beach Band" name, and these were gigs without any other BB's (meaning no Bruce either). But I had thought the "California Beach Band" gigs were essentially the 1998 "Beach Boys" gigs without Al Jardine where they weren't cleared to call it "The Beach Boys", and thus both Dave and Bruce were at those shows (for instance, the May 1998 Kentucky gig that circulates as a pro-shot video)?

At the same time, I've heard Mike to this day does do a small number of side gigs with essentially a cut-rate version of the band without Bruce, but I don't know whether those gigs in more recent years have gone under the "Endless Summer Beach Band" name or "California Beach Band."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:57:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »

As has been discussed-Be Still was finished before the BBs went on tour.  Although Keith Badman listed a recording date of April 13 1968 based on the AFM this is impossible as Dennis is attested at shows that day (indeed reviewers specifically single him out).  Badman was unaware of this-he made many errors about that tour and thought those shows had been canceled and therefore posited that he'd flown back for the sessions.  In fact-he didn't return to LA until late April.  The session is now believed to have been April 3-a small typo on an AFM-hence prior to King's murder on April 4.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx