gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:43:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'God Only Knows' picked for the Grammys 'In Memoriam' segment this Sunday.  (Read 2211 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:31:03 PM »

Being  rearranged but another fine honour for an amazing song. Anyway related to Brian in the studio perhaps?

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/beach-boys-song-being-rearranged-for-grammys-in-memoriam-segment,497555

LOS ANGELES — John Legend and Broadway star Cynthia Erivo will be singing a Beach Boys song at Sunday's Grammy Awards.

Executive producer Ken Ehrlich has announced that Legend and Erivo will perform a new arrangement of "God Only Knows" during the show's In Memoriam segment.

The veteran producer was listening to music at home when he suddenly heard the 50-year-old song in a new way.

"I heard that song for the first time in the context of loss — not lost love, but in the context of what would I be without you, someone who's gone?" said Ehrlich, who is producing his 37th Grammy Awards this year. "And I played it again, and then I played it again. And then when I wiped away the tear — which seriously I had — I said, 'This is what we need to do this year. This is the song,'" adding, "It's by far my favorite Beach Boys' song."

He imagined a slower version for In Memoriam, which he quickly arranged on piano, then tapped Legend and Erivo to perform it.

"They both sparked to it and said yes," Ehrlich said. "It's not a song that's written by someone who is in the In Memoriam segment, but it's about it, and it really resonates."

As for whom to include in the segment, Ehrlich said a committee at the recording academy circulates a list of more than 500 names, which must be whittled down to 50 for the three-minute package.

Still, he finds the task of putting the segment together so heart-wrenching, he hands it off to a fellow producer.

"There are people that I would put in there, but it's not about me," Ehrlich said. "It's about the music industry as a whole and all of its parts: classical and rock and pop and Latin and jazz. So it's a difficult process. ... One of my co-producers on the show kind of shepherds it because otherwise I think it could be so time-consuming that it would eat me up."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »

Oh wow

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »

This should be a very special moment.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »

"It's not a song that's written by someone who is in the In Memoriam segment"

IT BETTER NOT BE.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »

Yeah I'm sweating on that line until Monday. LOL
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »

Yeah I'm sweating on that line until Monday. LOL

Don't go to 4chan, in that case, they've been taking gambles at his allegedly impending death date for over a year.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:53:27 PM by You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »

My first thought, on seeing the topic heading, was "in memory of Carl?"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 06:40:34 AM »

I think the main takeaway here is some great exposure for the music and the song, and thankfully it's not like a "Full House" thing where we have to argue the pros and cons of the "exposure." It's all an upside in this case.

Hopefully BRI can parlay this into something even better, beyond the song getting more streams and downloads.

Strategic placement of songs like this (e.g. getting songs in trailers, getting Dennis songs in TV shows, etc.) is a great way to prime the well for then doing more fan-friendly stuff on the back-end like download archival releases.

Hopefully BRI is getting there. I have hope.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx