gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:36:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sandy (AKA Sherry She Needs Me or She Says That She Needs Me)  (Read 3391 times)
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »

I wonder why Brian never finished this song the first time in '65? Even as an instrumental it is a gorgeously produced song. Surely could have been a hit at the time if they released it instead of "Little Girl I Once Knew" as a single, don't you think?

I am glad Brian added a vocal in the 70s at least (its still a great vocal performance for the time) but I really wish this one had more attention. Just something very sublime about it; love the organ, love the bassline, love the tinkly marimba sounds, love the harmonies at the end and Mike's unfinished vocal.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »

Oh and Brian's 90s remake on Imagination is good, but I hardly ever listen to it.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:31:00 AM »

It sounds like most of the iterations of this song had awkward lyrics. I cringe when I hear these lines in Sherry.

Sherry, don't hate her guts
Just 'cause she took me away
And maybe you'll wanna make friends
With her someday

The BW version from Imagination was a step in the right direction, but still needs some fine tuning. I love the song too.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:14:05 AM »

I think the best version of the song is Tricia!
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »

Please .....  Wait till you hear Terri S N M from '87 !! Woaaah !
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »

OK then, you don't need to.
Shame. 😖
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 07:35:01 AM »

I don't believe "Terri She Needs Me" from 1987/88 has ever circulated, at least among the common folk.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »

I like the edited version from the MiC boxset. It's cool hearing 70's Brian sing with 60's Brian.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »

one other thing I noticed is the backing track to the 1976 remake with new vocals is completely different from the "Sandy" that I'm familiar with on the Unsurpassed Masters boot. Is there a completely different backing track for the song that Brian did in the mid 60s that is unsurfaced or something?
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »

one other thing I noticed is the backing track to the 1976 remake with new vocals is completely different from the "Sandy" that I'm familiar with on the Unsurpassed Masters boot. Is there a completely different backing track for the song that Brian did in the mid 60s that is unsurfaced or something?

I believe that the Unsurpassed Masters backing track was the first version done, then Brian went back and re-recorded it, which was the version used for "Sherry, She Needs Me". Vocals were only partially recorded for the first version, but these were later digitally "pasted" on to the 1976 version for MiC.

This should have been the 14th track on Pet Sounds IMO, it's just that perfect.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »

I believe that the Unsurpassed Masters backing track was the first version done, then Brian went back and re-recorded it, which was the version used for "Sherry, She Needs Me". Vocals were only partially recorded for the first version, but these were later digitally "pasted" on to the 1976 version for MiC.

Nope, the backing track for "Sherry, She Needs Me" was recorded first on 3/29/65 with the wrecking crew.  "Sandy" was recorded with the group on 5/4 and 5/5/65.

The backing track for "Sherry" really needs an official release.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 07:48:56 PM »

It is perplexing that this song didn't get finished vocally at the time. It's so very good, I can't think it's because Brian didn't think it was a good song.

Some possible theories:

-Maybe Brian got sidetracked and then evolved so quickly to more sophisticated tracks that he saw little point in finishing it even a year later?

-Was Sandy/Sherry an actual person? I wonder if the song was about someone that a BB member had a relationship with, and then things turned sour, thus making the song less desirable to finish/release. (Isn't that partly what happened with Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again?)

The fact that the name of the gal in the track keeps changing from version to version of the song also makes me think that maybe some bad experience with some actual gal named Sandy was the reason why... yet on the other hand, maybe Brian just kept changing the title because he kept changing his mind about how he liked/disliked the phonetic sound of some random name in the title, and the name may have just been chosen for the sound of it.

Another thing that strikes me as odd is Brian's 1970s vocal on the old backing track. It just feels like it doesn't match at all, and maybe that's why it never got released. I wonder if that was a guide vocal, and that maybe Carl would have sang it? So many questions. The "hate her guts" lyric is not good, and it seemed like it was in need of some lyrical revisions. The band had no problem releasing Good Time at that time, which was an old track, yet I suppose Sandy had an even earlier more "dated" sound, which might be why it didn't get released in 1976, despite Brian cutting vocals for it.

One final random thought: being that Brian reworked this song (from the '60s) on Imagination, coupled with remakes of two other 60s songs on that album (we're talking almost a third of a "new" Brian album being remakes of his own songs from his golden age), it almost seems like Imagination was at one point going to be a BB '60s remake/cover album. And that the final result was a compromise, sort of like 15 Big Ones. For the longest time after I got Imagination, I never knew that She Says That She Needs Me was a really old song that was remade. I just gravitated towards it and liked it more than most of the other tunes on that record before I learned its history.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:54:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 07:00:43 AM »

An interesting aside about "Sherry, She Needs Me" is that Bruce of all people remembered the song during that July, 1990 "Hotel Tape" video, and brings it up to Brian and either Bruce and/or Brian play a little bit of it as I recall. Bruce was presumably in their sphere back when it was initially bandied about back in 1965, but was presumably at least somewhat more out of the loop (though still floating around in the BB world) when Brian reworked the song in 1976.

I'm curious if, in 1990, Bruce was aware Brian had revisited the song in 1976 (I would tend to assume Bruce wasn't aware Brian had also resurrected the song in 1987/88 during solo sessions).

In any event, Bruce seemed to have an affinity for the song in 1990.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »

The Pen Friend Club have recently released a cover of Sandy/Sherry/She Says That She Needs Me that combines all 3 versions: https://youtu.be/cG2WtChgYkk?t=600

EDIT: Darian has given their version a rave review: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-pen-friend-club/from-darian-sahanaja-wondermints-brian-wilson-band/1429786820386867

"...arguably the best version of 'Sherry She Needs Me' I have ever heard! Sure, the original Beach Boys track from 1965 is amazing, but it was never finished properly. Brian made several more attempts at the song but it never lived up to the magic of the original session. But THIS version by The PenFriend Club does! Every 12-string electric guitar and brass section wall of sonic detail is here! And I adore the female vocal approach on it."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:38:02 PM by Cristian Kiper » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx