gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:06:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick Question about Smile Sessionography (ANSWERED)  (Read 1948 times)
leetwall97
« on: February 04, 2017, 07:49:50 PM »

My question refers to this piece recorded for Heroes and Villains:
https://youtu.be/Cyjp-7cLRnQ

The box set says that the Master take was 8 out of 10. So I figured the master take was the last take contained in this track. BUTT
... Another track from the Smile Sessions contains a different take:
https://youtu.be/wWEAxJM-BzI?t=56s

Does anyone know which take is the Master? This is important to know since Brian and Van keep playing on the earlier takes with an unknown melody.

UPDATE:

I've contacted Alan Boyd. The last take on the Piano Theme track is the Master [8]. The Take on the H&V Sections is 9. What I don't understand is why take 8 has that section at the end and take 9 doesn't. Another mystery.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:29:18 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:25:28 AM »

'video not available'
leetwall97
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:14:19 PM »

'video not available'

I'm talking about the track labeled "Heroes and Villains: Piano Theme". Two takes are contained. But another take appears on the track "Heroes and Villains Sections Stereo".
The take on the Sections track is shorter than the takes on the Piano Theme track.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:15:01 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:55:07 AM »

And where is take 10?  The reason why take 9 doesn't have the ending is probably that Brian decided he didn't like it and didn't play it.  Take 9 has its own mini ending with the dissonant chord at the end, rather than flowing directly into the "wandering piano notes" fade like 8 doesn.  But then if 8 was chosen as the master after recording 9 and 10, he must have decided he DID want  the ending.  Hmmm.
leetwall97
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »

And where is take 10?  The reason why take 9 doesn't have the ending is probably that Brian decided he didn't like it and didn't play it.  Take 9 has its own mini ending with the dissonant chord at the end, rather than flowing directly into the "wandering piano notes" fade like 8 doesn.  But then if 8 was chosen as the master after recording 9 and 10, he must have decided he DID want  the ending.  Hmmm.

Another thing Alan told me is that the Piano Theme was found on the tape with the Prelude and it was titled "Piano Bit". I think the two go together.

I think the wondering keys at the end were just a vocal guide (the notes mirror the background melodies).
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »

The background melodies of what?  There weren't any vocals done for the piano bit, were there?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »

If only there was an online sessionography....   Evil
leetwall97
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »

The background melodies of what?  There weren't any vocals done for the piano bit, were there?

The piano bit is basically the H&V chorus in G#. The background melody I'm talking about is the:
"Bahm. Bahm. Bahm. Baa-Bahm. Baa-Bahm. Bahm."

Whether the vocals were recorded is an interesting point. I know Mike Love refused to sing "Sunny down snuff" for the Prelude. Still... that shouldn't've affected this. So if they had that session, then they probably did record the vocals for this.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx