gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:36:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds Documentary to Air on Showtime  (Read 5368 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-pet-sounds-documentary-heading-to-showtime-w465006

I would assume it's the same Classic Albums documentary that was released on DVD and Blu-Ray but it doesn't say that anywhere and it has a different title so maybe not?

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:08:48 PM »

Identifying myKe luHv as a "creator" of Pet Sounds is misleading to say the least. It's Brian's baby all the way in concept, arrangement, execution, and production. He did, however, have the honor of singing on a few cuts under Brian's direction and of course a huge tip of the hat to Tony Asher for providing lyrics that meant something beyond the sun, sand and beach parties.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:28:12 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-pet-sounds-documentary-heading-to-showtime-w465006

I would assume it's the same Classic Albums documentary that was released on DVD and Blu-Ray but it doesn't say that anywhere and it has a different title so maybe not?
I was wondering that: is it (entirely? mostly? not remotely?) old stuff being repackaged or rebroadcast? We've already had a Classic Albums edition, and weren't there little videos released in conjunction with the last repackaging? The Pitchfork blurb on it says it will feature "exclusive interviews" with the living principals, so hopefully it's new.

http://pitchfork.com/news/71354-the-beach-boys-pet-sounds-documentary-coming-to-showtime/

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »

I hope they can find someone a bit more relevant than Helen Shapiro too.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »

I hope after this they start doing documentaries on other Beach Boys Albums, (excluding "Smile" since we already have one on it) maybe one on "Love You" or "Friends" or maybe one on both "Today" and "Summer Nights" since those two kind of go together, or maybe one on the late 60's ending in 1970 from "Smiley Smile" to "Sunflower"...I think we have enough documentaries on "Pet Sounds".
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »

I hope after this they start doing documentaries on other Beach Boys Albums, (excluding "Smile" since we already have one on it) maybe one on "Love You" or "Friends" or maybe one on both "Today" and "Summer Nights" since those two kind of go together, or maybe one on the late 60's ending in 1970 from "Smiley Smile" to "Sunflower"...I think we have enough documentaries on "Pet Sounds".

That'd be cool if they could do like an Anthology thing (probably should call it something else though) like the Beatles, a long, in depth documentary spanning their whole career that's hours long.

A documentary on Love You would be amazing, though a documentary on any Beach Boys album for the most part would be (any one from Today through to Love You anyway).

I was disappointed sorta with the Classic Albums documentary. I've seen a bunch of their other album docs and I expected more. And they didn't even talk about 'Caroline, No'.

And, yeah, Helen Shapiro.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:28:37 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7678175/showtime-beach-boys-pet-sounds-documentary

Yeah. Looking like the BBC doco according to Billboard.

'In addition to the exclusive interviews, the documentary includes archive footage and rare studio outtakes from the recording sessions. The documentary first ran on the BBC; Showtime has changed the title and added footage not seen in the original doc.'
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:30:03 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »

The thing is, the film was actually another "Classic Albums" documentary (produced by Eagle Vision) that the BBC aired. The subsequent Blu-ray and DVD release included additional footage compared to the version aired on the BBC.

So I suppose it remains to be seen if the "additional" footage Showtime plans to show simply consists of the longer home video cut of the film, or if they have something else. I'm guessing it's likely the former.

If this is the "Classic Albums" documentary, then it is kind of lame if Showtime is changing the title to avoid revealing that they're just airing something that's already out on home video and is part of a long line of "album" documentaries.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:24:24 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 06:10:10 AM »

Did anyone catch this? I just saw the last 10 minutes and I am kicking myself for missing it. Hopefully it will be rebroadcast... Angry

Edit 04/08/2017 at 2:27pm:
I was able to go to OnDemand and find it on Showtime. Interviews were all positive and Mike, Al, Bruce and David spoke very highly of Brian which was great to hear. A couple of Dennis clips referring to the album were included. Not much with Carl. Mike did talk about LSD very briefly, but it was not a slam at Brian. Rather it was brought up because he was recounting the story of how he felt the "Hang on to Your Ego" lyric content and how he felt it did not fit with the Beach Boys image. I actually think ot was Bruce who provided that explanation. Also, David Wild put something I had wondered about in the Drugs: Heroes or Villains thread by saying," if drugs made you a genius, then we'd have a lot more Pet Sounds..."

It was cool to see Al play piano as well. Never realized he played. Far too short a special and I would have loved to hear the musicians speak more about the music and actually touch on all of the songs.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:29:02 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
Da Doo Ron Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »

I saw it last night. It was pretty good. Lots of cool insights with people like Tony Asher, Hal Blaine, and Don Randi. Al at one point played Sloop John B on piano to show how he presented it to Brian. Brian got asked if he remembered why he put Mike back on the bridge of WIBN. Brian responded "Because I wanted him included on the song."
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

It was well done but FAR too short! Could've gone on another hour at least!

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »

Again, the doc repeats the canard that the Capital execs was put off by PS because they wanted the band to put out surf and hot records. Even Brian says this at one point.

But surely record execs knew that surf and car songs had stopped selling by the summer of 1964. And look at the group's singles since that summer. When I Grow Up. Dance Dance Dance. Do You Want to Dance? Help Me Rhonda. California Girls. The Girl I Once Knew. Barbara Ann.

Not one surf or car song among them.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 06:23:13 AM »

So can we confirm this Showtime piece is just the "Classic Albums" documentary? It appears so (in which case I'm surprised all the fans haven't already bought the excellent Blu-ray or DVD of that film, released last year).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »

Again, the doc repeats the canard that the Capital execs was put off by PS because they wanted the band to put out surf and hot records. Even Brian says this at one point.

But surely record execs knew that surf and car songs had stopped selling by the summer of 1964. And look at the group's singles since that summer. When I Grow Up. Dance Dance Dance. Do You Want to Dance? Help Me Rhonda. California Girls. The Girl I Once Knew. Barbara Ann.

I think "surf and car songs" is just code for "something more closely associated with the Beach Boys." It's just for the sake of brevity it seems that folks tend to say "surf and car songs" rather than "less mature themes of pre-1966 Beach Boys hits."

PS sounded different, and lyrically/thematically/musically was different from both "Dance Dance Dance" and "Fun Fun Fun."

I don't think we can discount record label apprehension simply on a technicality because "Barbara Ann" wasn't literally about a car or surfing.

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »

I think "surf and car songs" is just code for "something more closely associated with the Beach Boys." It's just for the sake of brevity it seems that folks tend to say "surf and car songs" rather than "less mature themes of pre-1966 Beach Boys hits."

PS sounded different, and lyrically/thematically/musically was different from both "Dance Dance Dance" and "Fun Fun Fun."

I don't think we can discount record label apprehension simply on a technicality because "Barbara Ann" wasn't literally about a car or surfing.
Ok, but -- it still doesn't make a lot of sense. Is 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' really all that different lyrically/thematically/musically from 'Help Me Rhonda', 'When I Grow Up', or (musically)  'California Girls'?

PS wasn't some radical departure. Brian had been working up to it for 2 years. Plus, "make more surf and car songs" is damn misleading code for "make more songs like 'Help Me Rhonda', please".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 01:47:05 AM »

Now available On Demand Showtime.

I found it quite enjoyable! Brian is quite forthcoming.

And to see Al play Sloop John B on piano is great!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 03:09:25 AM »

There wasn't an acknowledgement that Brian had already recorded great introspective songs - instead all pre-1966 was misrepresented as samey.

No Carol Kaye interview - did she piss them off?

Mike credits: I think he got kudos for the lyrics to I'm Waiting For The Day, although his own interpretation of the song's meaning does not concur with mine: I think the song is quite dark, even stalker-ish. It's certainly not a standard "I'll wait until you're ready" song. "Girl Don't Tell Me" also has that darkness to it. Maybe because they're really Brian lyrics.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:12:02 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx