gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:39:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds Overrated?  (Read 16566 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2017, 11:15:16 AM »

I also think that the cycles that you describe have a bit to do with whatever sound happens to be popular now. For instance in the 90s when Britpop emerged, a good deal of the sound of that time was derived specifically from Revolver-era Beatles. Consequently, when lists came out, no longer was Sgt. Pepper considered to be the greatest album but Revolver replaced it. In the first decade of the 21st century, there was a gravitation towards Brian Wilson-like sounds and suddenly Pet Sounds was considered to be the greatest ever being a perennial #2 or #3.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »

Just to be clear, I don't take exception to anything *you* said and never did take exception, nor am I replying to anything specific from your specific posts. It's the trend overall and the behaviors/patterns overall that I've seen regarding all this stuff that I addressed.

That's cool. I thought some of the comments you made were sideways swipes. Not that it bothered me Cry

And some of it is whatever formerly underground sub-cultures now brought to the fore by the internet and anonymity bring to the table in the way of enjoying kocking down the popular stuff in favor of some obscure stuff that never went beyond a regional pressing of 1,000 LP's back in 1966 but is truly spectacular and "better" than the popular stuff. Often what happens then is if and when that 1,000 copy great lost unknown obscure underrated album gets attention from a wide audience or even gets mass attention and heaps of praise, some in that sub-group do the equivalent of shouting "sell out!" and may even start to call their once-beloved and championed "lil ol album that only we knew about before anyone" overrated.

I quite agree, which is why I ultimately think such terminology is meaningless beyond an expression of opinion.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »

Presumptious? Arrogant? Ha, I've been called worse.....

I agree that overrated/underrated are loaded terms. What I genuinely have though is a knee jerk reaction when I hear Sgt Pepper being referred to as 'the greatest album ever'   Same as when anyone tells me Oasis were the best band of the 90s

So, to me, using the term 'overrated' is only ever a reaction to terms like  'best' or ' greatest'

Would you not agree that those could equally be construed as loaded terms?

No offence intended - i've undoubtedly used the word 'overrated' about albums I don't like or don't 'get'. And I do agree that many of these words are loaded and very subjective. The difference though is the implicit criticism of those who have overrated a particular piece of work, whereas 'best' or 'greatest' may be a subjective and even an arguably incorrect statement but there is no such implication.

Course I'm not offended Ang! By you or anyone else. I'm enjoying the discussion. Smiley

Thanks! Me too.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »

No.  There are few albums  that I can turn to for the last 26 years and still be emotionally moved by it.  I am still riveted every second when listening to it.
And for me, as a musician, it(along with their other material) was a gateway drug to exploring music theory in a more in-depth way.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:12:53 PM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »

It's my favourite album but I cannot give an objective assessment of whether it is "better than", say, Songs In The Key Of Life or Forever Changes. It speaks to me more deeply, that's all.

Pet Sounds v other BB albums: there are sequences on Today and Sunflower that rival the greatness of Pet Sounds. I don't quite feel that Smile, for all its brilliance, communicates that much emotional depth; it's a little too abstract. I love the Dennis tracks on 20/20 then of course there is POB, which is IMHO the most emotionally engaging album associated with the Beach Boys that came out after 1966.

Polls, even by critics, a horse manure. It's nice when Pet Sounds gets No. 1 but is no more "valid" a judgment than when it appears outside the Top 20. I know it will always be my "go to" album in times of darkness (such a November 8-9, 2016).
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »

Sunflower is my favorite Beach Boys album. I don't know if it's their best album, but it's the one I keep going back to these days.  I especially love the sequence of songs on side 2 - Tears in the Morning (yes, i'm a sap), All I Want to Do (Michael E. Love's best song ever), Forever, and Our Sweet Love. I can listen to those endlessly. I used to listen to PS endlessly; now on the rare occasions I put it on, I go for the stereo - brings so many more details to light.
Second favorite is Wild Honey. Always puts me in a good mood. Sometimes I play Carl's 2 solo albums the most.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx