gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:01:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Rings" and Other Lyric Clarification Thread  (Read 3414 times)
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »

Can anyone figure out the lyrics in the really obscure BW song "Rings"?  There is a set of words I cannot for the life of me decipher, as well as some of the lyrics in Oh Lord? 

I know a lot of these lyrics to these piano pieces are in fact, impossible to hear, but I feel there should be a consensus as to what they could be. 

Let's start with the two I mentioned, discuss, and go from here.   Cool
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out Oh Lord, years later. Your guess is as good as mine.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »

"Rings" is a longtime favorite of mine.
I recently asked Brian if he remembered it and he did. I asked him what exactly he remembered about it and he answered, "Only that I wrote it once."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:15 AM »

Can anyone figure out the lyrics in the really obscure BW song "Rings"?  There is a set of words I cannot for the life of me decipher

Have you typed out the ones you can hear? (If they were to be here in this topic we could all contribute.)

If not, I may do it when I find the time.

https://youtu.be/4X760PK_cSY

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 05:59:25 AM »

This is a start. The line marked * is particularly troublesome! Those with good ears please step forward...

Rings around my neck at last
The memories of the past
Are catching me so fast
Someone's calling me
To see if I could be
How you could best be like me
Just how you can do tonight
Woh-ohhhhhhh
Oh oh oh

Rings around my neck so tight
One singer is wondering tonight
You can't tell if this is right
Someone's got pressure on me
To see if I can be
How you can just be like me
Woh-ohhhhhhh
Oh oh oh
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:18:41 PM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »

I've never heard this before - is it from 'The Cocaine Sessions'? I tried to download that once but gave up when I heard how bad the recordings were.

And indeed, the recording quality here is awful... but as with so much BW stuff from this, uh, *difficult* time, there's the spark of something interesting lurking in there. Some of the chords are great!

Anyway, I'd say that JK got it mostly right. The only amendments I would table are that the line "How you could just be like me" is actually, I think:

"How you could best be like me"

...and the troublesome line "One singer is wasn't tonight"

...is actually "One singer is **wondering** tonight".

The words still don't make much sense, but then we're clearly listening to a work in progress that, er, didn't subsequently progress. Or, not that I can tell - it doesn't sound particularly like any subsequently released tunes I can think of.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »

I've never heard this before - is it from 'The Cocaine Sessions'? I tried to download that once but gave up when I heard how bad the recordings were.

And indeed, the recording quality here is awful... but as with so much BW stuff from this, uh, *difficult* time, there's the spark of something interesting lurking in there. Some of the chords are great!

Anyway, I'd say that JK got it mostly right. The only amendments I would table are that the line "How you could just be like me" is actually, I think:

"How you could best be like me"

...and the troublesome line "One singer is wasn't tonight"

...is actually "One singer is **wondering** tonight".

The words still don't make much sense, but then we're clearly listening to a work in progress that, er, didn't subsequently progress. Or, not that I can tell - it doesn't sound particularly like any subsequently released tunes I can think of.

Thanks, Matt. I've modified it accordingly. Now it makes sense grammatically, if nothing else.   

Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »

https://youtu.be/7gEJea900JE

Here it is
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:24 PM »

This is a start. The line marked * is particularly troublesome! Those with good ears please step forward...

Rings around my neck at last
The memories of the past
Are catching me so fast
Someone's calling me
To see if I could be
How you could best be like me
Woh-ohhhhhhh
Oh oh oh

Rings around my neck so tight
One singer is wondering tonight
You can't tell if this is right
Someone's got pressure on me
To see if I can be
How you can just be like me
Woh-ohhhhhhh
Oh oh oh

Interesting. Not the song I thought of when I saw "Rings".
Ring, Ring, telephone rings,
somebody says baby what cha doin?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 04:53:05 AM »

I rather fear "Oh Lord" is going to be a much tougher nut to crack...

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »

To answer a question above, and someone can correct me of course, but I don't think "Rings" is from the same "source tape" as the "Cocaine Tapes" tapes (meaning the one with "Oh Lord" and "City Blues", etc.).

Not sure if "Rings" is pre or post-1983. I always assumed it was one of the early post-Landy things, perhaps from 1983. Sounds like was just copied a million times before it circulated.

Much like when I first heard "City Blues" years ago (well before Brian re-recorded it in 2004), I thought both "City Blues" and "Rings" could be two songs that would sound good in a Jeff Lynne-Brian production collaboration. I would have loved to hear a Jeff Lynne-produced "City Blues" that wasn't drenched in reverb and effects like the 2004 version, and perhaps without Clapton's proficient yet kind of cold guitar noodling all over it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »

I've always thought that it sounds as if the singer feels enslaved. 'Someone's calling me/To see if I could be/How you could best be like me' suggests to me that he is being asked to be how he was in the past. It isn't hard to imagine that is how Brian might have felt when he was trying to move forwards but was forever being pursued by the memories of the past.

I've always thought of it as Brian's Frodo Song because it reminds me of the part of Lord of the Rings where Frodo is wearing the ring on a chain about his neck and is hardly able to walk because of the weight of it.

I love this song and I'm so sorry that it was never fully completed.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 03:11:49 AM »

I've heard people refer to Rings as. Reins   Which would probably make more sense
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx