gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:46:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flame CD  (Read 8917 times)
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 09:06:51 AM »

I have to say this is probably, along with Pacific Ocean Blue, my favorite non-Beach Boys album ever released.  "Don't Worry Bill" and "Lady" are my favorite non-Wilson-composed songs of all time.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »

Pretty sure it's not a boot.  I noticed on cduniverse.com a few weeks ago it was scheduled for release in the UK this week, but it's been moved to next week.  Looks as though someone got 'em early.  Heard the stuff a few years back (bad cassette copy of the vinyl). I do remember it being beatles-y.

I just got mine yesterday and the sound is very good but I do still wonder if this is a "grey area" CD - how many new CD labels do you know that don't list any address, website or contact information?

Who owns the rights to this record - there is no licensing information on the CD at all!  Roll Eyes

Paul
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »

I don't know what to make of that....but now that I look at the info again, it looks like it's being released in the US next week.

Here's the order info on amazon.com (with a weird tracklisting):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GCF8ZE/sr=1-3/qid=1154634510/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-0725741-8536759?ie=UTF8&s=music

It's preorder price is $12.59 on that cduniverse site.  No, I do not work for them. Smiley
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 04:12:28 PM »

I have to say this is probably, along with Pacific Ocean Blue, my favorite non-Beach Boys album ever released.  "Don't Worry Bill" and "Lady" are my favorite non-Wilson-composed songs of all time.

I just got this yesterday and I'm surprised how good it is. I totally agree that these two tracks you mention are fantastic, but the overall quality of the songs are really good. I'm always dubious when things are described as lost classics but this recording does seem to have been overlooked somewhat.

To answer somebody else's question, the sleevenotes are just one piece of paper with an overview of the band printed inside. Overall the quality of the graphics etc. seems to me that's it's been produced fairly low budget, but for the music I think it's well worth purchasing.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 06:38:23 AM »

http://www12.cd-wow.com/detail_results_10.php?product_code=372788

no picture or tracklisting but i presume its the right one

audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 04:58:45 AM »

I finally got a chance to really listen to it and it sounds like a cleaned up needle drop to me. It sounds a little cleaner and less distorted than the CDR that I have but it also sounds more dull and muffled and I can definitely hear vinyl surface noise.  Sad

Paul
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 05:02:45 AM »

I finally got a chance to really listen to it and it sounds like a cleaned up needle drop to me. It sounds a little cleaner and less distorted than the CDR that I have but it also sounds more dull and muffled and I can definitely hear vinyl surface noise.  Sad

I haven't heard it yet, but I hope it's not the same as with the release of 'The Best Of The Flames'. For that release they also used a couple of records which were digitally cleaned up a little, but you could still hear a click or pop hear and there. There should be a master-tape available of this album, I'd think?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 02:30:25 PM »

What is a good source for this CD?  I couldn't find it on CD Universe.  Has anyone gotten a copy from Amazon?  It is on Amazon, with the same cover, but with this track listing, which contains none of the material on the original LP:

1. Too Many Cooks 
2. Don't You Go 
3. Shadow in the Night 
4. Midnight Sun 
5. Watch Me Run 
6. This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You) 
7. Walk Away 
8. It's All Over 

If the track listing is incorrect and it is in fact the original Carl Wilson produced Flame album, but it is truly a needle drop, I'm hesitant to purchase it as my original Brother/King/Starday LP is in primo condition.

sailonsailor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:39 PM »

I just received it from Amazon. It's the original album and it does sound like a needle drop, and to be honest, the muffled sound is a bit maddening, because it is clear that there is some amazing instrumental interplay in the songs. I had never heard the album before and am having a hard time getting deeply into it because of the sound quality.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 02:55:22 PM »

Terrific. The expectations went from a great CD loaded with bonus material to a bare bones needle drop low budget release.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
sailonsailor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 07:02:21 PM »

There's an appreciation of The Flame disc at this site: www.roundheadedboy.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx