gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:13:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - Live in Switzerland, Halloween 2016 - Full Pet Sounds Performance  (Read 4597 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »

http://concert.arte.tv/de/brian-wilson-bei-der-baloise-session

Great performance, beautifully shot, sound is great, and Brian sounds great!

EDIT: The reason Brian seems to be in particularly great voice is because they replaced most of his vocals from this show with his vocals from the 2002 Pet Sounds Live DVD.  I did a side-by-side comparison.  Not all of his vocals are pre-recorded. Love and Mercy appears to be live Brian.  Same with the bridge of Wouldn't It Be Nice.  And he sounds pretty good in both those places.  It's no secret that his voice is weaker nowadays, he's an old man, there's no shame in it.  But that's no reason to pretend.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:53:43 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 05:46:08 PM »

This is great!!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »

can't get it to play here  Undecided
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »

Beautifully shot and edited indeed!
Thanks for the heads up.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 04:08:04 AM »

Beautiful, picture and sound!!!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 05:47:35 AM »

Great show!

If they did splice in his 2002 vocals, how did they manage to time them so well with the live performance. Keeping the exact beat would be so hard when performing live to an older vocal recording, would it not?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 07:01:55 AM »

I can't listen to this at the moment (sampled it very quickly last night), but a hunk of it has to be live considering Matt and Al take some lead parts on this too, right?

Also, this has some non-PS material, and the old "Pet Sounds Live" DVD doesn't have all of those songs, right?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »

Maybe Al and Matt secretly recorded those parts in 2002? You never know with all these wives and managers... Grin
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:04:43 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »

Yes the show is completely live (and undoctored), except for Brian's Pet Sounds leads.  Those are from PS Live 2002, confirmed.
The shots are very wide whenever Brian is singing on PS, besides a few close ups where they tried to sync video and audio.  If you pay attention you can anyway see that they are not perfectly synced.

There are a few songs before PS and the encore too.
Here's the full set list but the video has less songs:  
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2016/event-halle-basel-switzerland-bfaf962.html

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

That's what I meant.  The show is undoubtedly a live recording but most of Brian's vocals have been dubbed over with his 2002 vocals.  Not a criticism against Brian, just something I noticed.  I think it was unnecessary as he sounds pretty good on the non-Pet Sounds songs but I guess if you want to get the best possible sounding performance for a TV show, it's not unheard of to do some tweaking.  It's just kind of bizarre that they used 15 year old vocal tracks.  Regardless, I still think it's an excellent recording and well worth watching.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »

Thanks so much for the link!

Too bad about the 2002-vocals....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »

Great touch, Gary Griffin playing the intro to You Still Believe In Me on the bells at the end of Love and Mercy.  Fits beautifully!

rock72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 06:39:12 PM »

Is there  a way to download like a youtube video?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »

Is there  a way to download like a youtube video?

You can download it with RealPlayer.

rock72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 07:10:26 AM »

Real Player is a Windows app? right? How bout apple
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »

Brian isn't live on GV either.  But this is great to see/hear!  Thank you for sharing.  I'm excited that there is a high quality picture/sound recording of this (relatively new) version of the BW band playing these classics!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »

I was able to download it by entering the URL on the website clipconverter.cc

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »

Dubbing Brian's old vocals in is weird, but it's done about as unobtrusively as it possibly could be, and it ultimately doesn't even amount to a ton of dubbed material. His bridge vocal on WIBN is the real 2016 vocal (they performed it in a different key in 2002), and then once you account for Matt and Al's lead vocal parts and the instrumentals, it's not quite as distracting as it sounds at first.

I finally watched most of the show; was able to pull it off the website in HD and watch it on my actual TV; this is actually the first near-full-length pro-shot show we have of Brian and Al together other than the PBS special from 2014. This is the first pro-shot video we have of Al singing those PS leads, and I believe the first pro-shot video of Brian and Al doing "California Saga" together.

Other than the weird vocal fly-ins and a couple of the songs being mislabeled on screen, this is a pretty nice presentation overall. They came *so* close to including the entire show; I think the first set is only missing four songs from what was performed.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx