gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:57:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Those God Only Knows 'flute trills'  (Read 3783 times)
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2017, 05:17:26 PM »

Does anyone else agree that the arrangement and positioning of those few seconds of harmonised God Only Knows flute trills (as I call them) at 1:46 are the finest moments of music by anyone ever? Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Debussy, Beatles, anyone else? I cannot imagine a more gorgeous gorgeousness in any other music I have ever heard. I think had Debussy been around to hear them he would have been inspired himself.

From where in Brian's head did this come? A true direct link to God is all I can offer.

Edit: Did Brian say to the guys: "Give me a doodly-doo... deedley ooo" having written it in his head or was it a made-up-on-the-spot thing?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:23:29 PM by Willy Wilson » Logged

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »

Totally agree, one of the best parts of the stereo mix is hearing those flutes in sharper clarity.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »

It's 20 years since the box, and listening to the stereo backing tracks and vocals-only were like big shafts of sunlight entering a great tomb off hidden wonder. I recall my wife-at-the-time coming home and finding me crying buckets thinking someone had died. No I was listening to an advance copy of the box and all the "run-run wee-ooohs" in stereo for the first time.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »

From where in Brian's head did this come?
Dance of the Reed Flutes from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker?
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »

Actually, yeah, that happens to be one of my favorite moments in the song.

I made a thread on another board once titled, "favorite song moments." After some searching, this is the closest equivalent thread I could find. Could start a new one; I'd be down.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »

That is an incredibly beautiful part.

My favorite part of the song, which was a real revelation to me upon first hearing the instrumental version, happens between 2:09 and 2:15.  It's a little instrumental sound that repeats four times between those timeframes, and continues to repeat  after that. It's very buried in the mix when the vocals are heard, so it was a real pleasure to discover it was present there all along.  Does anyone know what instrument this is?

https://youtu.be/vdGmwnH7Q6o
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 12:55:22 AM »

plucked strings I reckon..?

My favorite part of the song, which was a real revelation to me upon first hearing the instrumental version, happens between 2:09 and 2:15.  It's a little instrumental sound that repeats four times between those timeframes, and continues to repeat  after that. It's very buried in the mix when the vocals are heard, so it was a real pleasure to discover it was present there all along.  Does anyone know what instrument this is?

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 01:00:46 AM »

sounds like keyboards to me
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 02:27:02 AM »

Does anyone else agree that the arrangement and positioning of those few seconds of harmonised God Only Knows flute trills (as I call them) at 1:46 are the finest moments of music by anyone ever? Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Debussy, Beatles

Better than anything the last lot on your list did, certainly, but the others? I know you were being tongue in cheek. Try Mozart's Clarinet  Concerto. Good enough place to start.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 02:29:22 AM »

It's definitely a keyboard, just from the lie of it, one thumb note alternating with a three-finger chord.

It sounds much like the spinet my wife has, when you pull out a stop to dampen the strings.

It might be a tack piano muted in some way----I should image c-man will know.

Here are three videos that may give it away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMGC4gNuxLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVUBpzlELOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCTVcNsJGX0

For years (of mono) I thought the little two-flute flourish was a keyboard, maybe a celesta...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 07:43:29 AM »

It's 20 years since the box, and listening to the stereo backing tracks and vocals-only were like big shafts of sunlight entering a great tomb off hidden wonder. I recall my wife-at-the-time coming home and finding me crying buckets thinking someone had died. No I was listening to an advance copy of the box and all the "run-run wee-ooohs" in stereo for the first time.

I had a similar experience. That first listen - Stunned. Then I'd put it on the stereo for guests who had not heard it, the WIBN vocals-only track. I've seen it bring people who normally had a ton to talk about to a moment of complete silence as they listened especially after that second verse kicks in.

That's the power of this music. Right there on tape.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »

That sounds like the piano with the strings taped to dampen and mute them, with a heavy delay echo applied. It's a similar studio trick that you can hear Brian doing in the studio later that year with some of the Smile sessions, including the All Day/Dada reels. I don't think that's the dampen pedal, but rather the taped-strings trick or a blanket or something similar laid across the strings.

Tape delay triggers better with muted staccato sounds (instrumental) and hard consonant syllables (vocal). It's how Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Gene Vincent, John Lennon, Elvis, Scotty Moore, etc got such a terrific "vintage" tape echo/delay effect on their classic tracks that set the standard. Add that Brian Wilson 1966/67 muted/echoed piano to that list, or my list at least. Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 09:26:11 AM »

That sounds like the piano with the strings taped to dampen and mute them, with a heavy delay echo applied. It's a similar studio trick that you can hear Brian doing in the studio later that year with some of the Smile sessions, including the All Day/Dada reels. I don't think that's the dampen pedal, but rather the taped-strings trick or a blanket or something similar laid across the strings.

Tape delay triggers better with muted staccato sounds (instrumental) and hard consonant syllables (vocal). It's how Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Gene Vincent, John Lennon, Elvis, Scotty Moore, etc got such a terrific "vintage" tape echo/delay effect on their classic tracks that set the standard. Add that Brian Wilson 1966/67 muted/echoed piano to that list, or my list at least. Smiley

I'm thinking you're correct on that, thanks for that info!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx