gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:58:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being For The Benefit Of Mister Kite— a new stereo mix  (Read 2904 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:29 PM »

password: ItWas50YearsAgoToday

https://vimeo.com/201054230

Enjoy! And let me know what you make of it!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »

I like the mix. The bass is a bit more upfront. Seems like it lost a bit of it's psychedelic qualities. Was that intentional?
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »

I like the mix. The bass is a bit more upfront. Seems like it lost a bit of it's psychedelic qualities. Was that intentional?

No, not really. I guess it sounds less psychedelic because it's clearer(?)... I'd like to think so... is there anything specific you are describing? (I think wearing stereo-headphones would very much help)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »

It was pretty good. But 2 things:

1. Lennon's vocals sounded a little too much "in the background."
2. It is VERY distracting having the focus of the vocals and some other stuff keep gravitating back and forth between the left and right speakers. It makes me dizzy listening to it.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »

No, not really. I guess it sounds less psychedelic because it's clearer(?)... I'd like to think so... is there anything specific you are describing? (I think wearing stereo-headphones would very much help)

It seemed to miss some of the swirly organ samples... But you may be right. I'll try listening with headphones.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »

It was pretty good. But 2 things:

1. Lennon's vocals sounded a little too much "in the background."
2. It is VERY distracting having the focus of the vocals and some other stuff keep gravitating back and forth between the left and right speakers. It makes me dizzy listening to it.

Regarding both of these propositions (they correlate)— I was trying to go for a whimsical stereo-panning effect on the vocals and organs. (That must contribute to why Lennon's voice might sound like it's in the background... to me— Lennon's voice is quite loud here). Thanks for such valuable, suggestive and constructive advice!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 07:23:59 PM »

I have never liked this song, the only song from this album I dislike. But this mix brings out the elements I love about this song - the bass playing is really all over the place and it deserves to be heard! And Lennon's voice, though it moves around it's so much crisper than what is heard on the record.

I do agree that the vocal panning makes me feel almost dizzy, but I also think it needs the movement. Perhaps just don't make the movement so harsh? Any other songs from Sgt Pepper you plan on working on? Or have worked on?

Great work and I look forward to hearing more!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »

I have never liked this song, the only song from this album I dislike. But this mix brings out the elements I love about this song - the bass playing is really all over the place and it deserves to be heard! And Lennon's voice, though it moves around it's so much crisper than what is heard on the record.

I do agree that the vocal panning makes me feel almost dizzy, but I also think it needs the movement. Perhaps just don't make the movement so harsh? Any other songs from Sgt Pepper you plan on working on? Or have worked on?

Thanks! The panning was me trying to visualize Lennon walking around Mr. Kite's parade, if you will. I might limit narrow the panning next time!
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »

And if it is of some help, I've done Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, and am working on Getting Better.

The video for Lucy would be: https://vimeo.com/198778568
Same password still applies
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »

Thanks! The panning was me trying to visualize Lennon walking around Mr. Kite's parade, if you will. I might limit narrow the panning next time!

Love that idea! Reminds me of the story about Lennon wanting to swing on a rope from the ceiling around the microphone at one point to get a different sound. Someone recommended to him they could just swing the microphone around him for the same effect haha. I think that was in Geoff Emerick's book. And that is a flippin great mix of Lucy In The Sky. Gettin Better is one of my favorites so I'm really looking forward to hearing that one.

Phenomenal work!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx