gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:05:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Easter eggs in Beach Boys music videos  (Read 5762 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »

Just made a couple fun discoveries, curious if anyone has any more fun stuff like this to share.

In watching the 1966 Good Vibrations promo music video, I'd always noticed an old car (maybe a Jaguar or Morgan convertible?) that conspicuously stood out in a shot of a lady playing with a ball. (Is that Barbara, the other Rovell sister, by the way?) It was an unusual, expensive car even then, so I always figured that someone associated with the band probably owned it. Then it dawned on me that it looked real familiar. Could it be Mike's car, the same one he posed with years (maybe a decade-ish?) later?

Also, perhaps a less exciting discovery, but one that made me smile, is noticing Carl's personalized name embroidered on his jacket when he flashes his million dollar smile in the Getcha Back music video:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:13:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:44:14 AM »

Just made a couple fun discoveries, curious if anyone has any more fun stuff like this to share.

In watching the 1966 Good Vibrations promo music video, I'd always noticed an old car (maybe a Jaguar or Morgan convertible?) that conspicuously stood out in a shot of a lady playing with a ball. (Is that Barbara, the other Rovell sister, by the way?) It was an unusual, expensive car even then, so I always figured that someone associated with the band probably owned it.

That's an MG TC. The one seen in the video is probably Mike's indeed, but it probably wasn't a particularly expensive car anymore in 1966 (Mike's TC is a 1948 model - he still owns it).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:46:15 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:34:41 AM »

This one is hard to spot, but if you look real close in this video clip, you can spot the band's dignity floating away into the ether:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:23:11 AM »

I can see it floating! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 07:43:14 AM »

There was a discussion on here a few years ago about that girl in the GV video, I posted some screenshots and debated back and forth over who that was. If I can find it in the archives I'll list it here. But the GV video does have a few more neat shots worth noting, unfortunately it's been scattered around multiple threads here over the past 5 years or more.

One of my favorite videos, ever...that GV promo.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »

I'm curious to hear opinions on this issue with the film: I don't think that is Barbara Rovell bouncing the ball in the film.

Evidence: The GV promo film was shot October 23, 1966 or thereabouts...

And the Smile "airport photo" was taken October 22, 1966 or thereabouts...

Whatever the exact dates and times, or if there is any debate about that, they were shot at almost the same point in history, we can still narrow it down and say it was the same week.

Barbara is clearly shown in a few airport shots as having long straight hair which goes beyond her shoulders. She is also very thin and petite as shown in the airport.

The girl in the GV film has a shorter haircut, and doesn't appear to be as petite. Her haircut looks more like what Marilyn was wearing at the airport, a similar length and style but shorter than Barbara's at the airport.

Here is the photo evidence I'm looking at, showing the one we know is Barbara at the airport framed by the GV film shots - sorry for the quality of the GV film shots but that's all I had to work with.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:50:30 AM »

Follow that original thread to see some arguing back and forth over whether that is Barbara Rovell or not. Or judge by the photos and the girl's hairstyle... Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:56:32 AM »

Here are a few more Easter Eggs from the GV film, unfortunately the "now" portion of the "then and now" shots is from 2011...damn, time sure does fly.

Ok, I sent this video to my friend that lives in LA, he used to live in the Hollywood area and he recognized these locations right away. This street is the onramp from North Cahuenga Boulevard to the 101 (Hollywood Freeway) and the hill goes up to the freeway. It doesn’t have the plants on it now, just dirt.
The tunnel they go through on the fire truck is Holly Drive going north under the Hollywood Freeway, this is right off North Cahuenga. He said it’s a lot more built up around there now but the tunnel looks the same and you can still see the same looking hills when you drive over the freeway. He will send me pictures next time he goes over there.

I can't wait to see the photos! That would be great! Tonight I couldn't resist a Google map search for these shots, I was so happy to read the actual locations. First, the onramp where Brian and Vosse are shown, next the area where Brian and who we think is Jules are shown walking through the greens, on the same ramp to the 101:

Many thanks and cheers to "Been Too Long" for that info I've been wondering about for 10+ years. Big thanks and a Smile! Smiley

Thanks to "Been Too Long" and "The Other Anonymous":

That freeway on-ramp seems to have been a key location for filming. I never would have guessed that. It's too bad so many trees and shrubs are blocking the same angles they had in '66, I enjoy doing then-and-now comparisons of streets and towns like this. Geek central indeed! Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 08:14:13 AM »

Here's a neat one BB's related: A Cinéma Cinémas feature reel showing John Cassavetes driving in a convertible talking and listening to the radio, the date of filming given is Sept 1965. "California Girls" comes on the radio and Cassavetes starts talking about the music. It's great both as a time capsule and a BB related quirky thing, but also for fans like me of classic 60's AM radio. You get to hear some of what the records sounded like as they were heard when they were new being played on the car radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-6xTQHX4-I

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »

Here's a neat one BB's related: A Cinéma Cinémas feature reel showing John Cassavetes driving in a convertible talking and listening to the radio, the date of filming given is Sept 1965. "California Girls" comes on the radio and Cassavetes starts talking about the music. It's great both as a time capsule and a BB related quirky thing, but also for fans like me of classic 60's AM radio. You get to hear some of what the records sounded like as they were heard when they were new being played on the car radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-6xTQHX4-I

Thanks for sharing, that was really awesome. Gives a good idea of what it would have sounded like to hear that BB song on an AM radio - it was so perfectly mixed in mono by Brian for that AM radio format. Too bad Cassavetes didn't sit around in the car until the song was finished!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »

In watching the 1966 Good Vibrations promo music video, I'd always noticed an old car (maybe a Jaguar or Morgan convertible?) that conspicuously stood out in a shot of a lady playing with a ball. (Is that Barbara, the other Rovell sister, by the way?) It was an unusual, expensive car even then, so I always figured that someone associated with the band probably owned it.

That's an MG TC. The one seen in the video is probably Mike's indeed, but it probably wasn't a particularly expensive car anymore in 1966 (Mike's TC is a 1948 model - he still owns it).

That's interesting. That must without a doubt be the longest-owned vehicle of any BB member.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »

In terms of the dating of the good vibrations promo-I mentioned in another thread that oct 23 was not the date of that shoot. It was filmed prior to October 21 1966 as the bbs flew to Michigan and from there to ny and Paris
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »

In terms of the dating of the good vibrations promo-I mentioned in another thread that oct 23 was not the date of that shoot. It was filmed prior to October 21 1966 as the bbs flew to Michigan and from there to ny and Paris

Right, I remember that discussion. The post I reposted was over 5 years ago so that was the pertinent info at that time, but it has been revised since.

Still - hairstyle aside, the girl in that photo does not have the same hair or more importantly facial features as Barbara Rovell, especially since the photos I put side to side back in 2011 were taken - let's say - within weeks of each other if not the same 7 day span or so. Hairstyles may change that drastically, but hair does not grow that much longer in 2 weeks (I'd bet) and facial features don't change either...lol.  Smiley

I still say - Girl in GV promo, not Barbara Rovell. The Smile airport photo seems to be the visual proof.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:54:17 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 05:53:12 AM »

I agree-too bad there isn't more info available about the filming of that. But as I always say that is the difference between the bbs and the Beatles. Everything the Beatles did between 1960 and 1970 has been painstakingly documented but info on the bbs always has to be discovered
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »

A few more observations I've made in BB video content (these are less "easter eggs", and more just nerdy observations about goofs in BB video minutiae).

Just watched the bizarre (why exactly was this video made?) mid-'80s music video for the original "Don't Worry Baby"; the fake license plate and fake license plate registration sticker are just a bit annoying. At least this was only briefly glimpsed onscreen for a brief moment.

Far more annoying to me is the completely fake early '90s license plate on the Cadillac Allante in Love & Mercy, during the scene where Melinda runs into Brian again. It bugs me because it's VERY prominently displayed onscreen for a significant amount of time as they drive around.

It's most easily spotted as a fake since the "CALIFORNIA" font is totally wrong, plus all the vintage cars that were used in the same scene appear to have correct, actual vintage plates, where you can see what a real plate of that vintage looked like. Why couldn't they have just slapped an actual old plate on that car? It had to be more of a pain for the prop department to manufacture a fake plate.

Lastly, just spotted a period-incorrect car in Love & Mercy. They generally did a great job of getting the eras correct, but a black late 1990s SUV (looks like a Ford Expedition?) must've slipped by the watchful eyes of the DP when they shot this scene which takes place in the early '90s. Kind of like the Autotune of this film, where the seams are just showing a little too much. Still a great movie with generally outstanding production design.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:15:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 03:57:09 PM »

This one is hard to spot, but if you look real close in this video clip, you can spot the band's dignity floating away into the ether:

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »

What do we know about this "Little Honda" music video?  Where was it filmed? And was the footage originally filmed for this song?

https://youtu.be/SRrVhUcw9-c

A quick search on this forum did not yield me any results that would answer the question, but maybe it's present here somewhere; I just didn't find it.  This video says "directed by Dennis Wilson" at the end, is that accurate?

Also, there's a pretty cool website that documents vehicles in movies and television episodes, they have a little bit of info on the cars seen in the beginning of the video - I'm assuming that those cars all personally belonged to the bandmembers?

http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=1004510073

I wonder if that's the same Corvette which is present on the cover of Shut Down Vol 2.   And could that Jaguar be the car that Mike used to take on tour and drive across country when the band played shows?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:42:42 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »

What do we know about this "Little Honda" music video?  Where was it filmed? And was the footage originally filmed for this song?

https://youtu.be/SRrVhUcw9-c

A quick search on this forum did not yield me any results that would answer the question, but maybe it's present here somewhere; I just didn't find it.  This video says "directed by Dennis Wilson" at the end, is that accurate?

Also, there's a pretty cool website that documents vehicles in movies and television episodes, they have a little bit of info on the cars seen in the beginning of the video - I'm assuming that those cars all personally belonged to the bandmembers?

http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=1004510073

I wonder if that's the same Corvette which is present on the cover of Shut Down Vol 2.   And could that Jaguar be the car that Mike used to take on tour and drive across country when the band played shows?

I researched and wrote about that video here on the forum some years ago - I'll check if I can find that stuff and repost it. But yeah, those cars belonged to the band members including Dennis' red sportscar which had previously belonged to Sam Cooke, shown prominently in that film.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »

This was part of it:

This is a great topic, I want to add a few visuals to some of what has been mentioned already. And I hope anyone who has more info can fill in some of the gaps of info, as there are still questions about some of the details of these cars even today.

These are stills I captured from the Little Honda film which Dennis shot and which featured Carl. Some of the cars we've been discussing:

This shows a silver Corvette convertible, obviously not the one Dennis owned from the Shut Down vol.2 cover. Anyone able to tell whose Vette this was? Next is a red 1963 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso, by many accounts this is the car previously owned by Sam Cooke which Dennis acquired after Cooke's murder in 1964. More on this one to come. In the background is the Jaguar XKE.

This is where it gets interesting. Here is a 60's Aston Martin DB5 convertible, this would most likely have been Carl's as he's said to have owned one. Does that sound right?

In the film, Carl wrecks into some trash cans and the silver Vette convertible pulls up next to him. There is a man driving who you can't see at all for identification, and there is a woman in the passenger seat as shown in this shot. Can anyone ID her?

And this is the Sam Cooke-Dennis Wilson Ferrari 250 Lusso seen at a modern car show.

One of the questions that was lingering about the Cooke-Wilson Ferrari was the color. It was apparently shipped from the factory in a different color, yet reports mostly say it was red when Cooke owned it, and it's obviously red as Dennis owned it too, again assuming the info is correct that this was the Sam Cooke car. So there are still gaps in the details, despite some assumptions that connect the dots.

Anyone with more info and corrections on any of this, please add to the discussion!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »

Here is the link to that whole discussion, although I seem to remember another one about the Little Honda film...if I find it I'll repost.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19900.0.html

There is some good info about another Easter Egg in footage that was aired on the A&E special years ago, involving a Porsche and the conversation turned to David Anderle's Porsche which led to some nice commentary from David's son in that discussion. Good stuff.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx