gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:39:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Mike Love Interview  (Read 7292 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 11:52:13 PM »

LOL

What the f*** is Mike even talking about here?

“I’m hoping they get the fact that the reason I’m still doing what I’m doing at the level we’re doing it, meaning a volume of work and stuff like that, is probably because I chose a path that wasn’t a path of all the nefarious drugs that my cousins did, I mean, serious, serious stuff, and I chose not to,”

Brian is performing some 110+ concerts for his Pet Sounds tour. Oh, he also works on solo material that actually gets released on a medium other than soundcloud.

So listen kids, if you want to perform more than 110 Pet Sounds concerts for a tour you shouldn't take any hard drugs! Jeesh what an idiotic way to look at things.
I wonder what Mike Love fans would think if he went out on tour with his band, and just sat behind a keyboard  that he never touches, and sang from a teleprompter? I'm sure Mike knows about Brian's touring schedule, and knows that his band does most of the work.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 01:32:32 AM »

LOL

“I’m hoping they get the fact that the reason I’m still doing what I’m doing at the level we’re doing it, meaning a volume of work and stuff like that, is probably because I chose a path that wasn’t a path of all the nefarious drugs that my cousins did, I mean, serious, serious stuff, and I chose not to,”

Brian is performing some 110+ concerts for his Pet Sounds tour. Oh, he also works on solo material that actually gets released on a medium other than soundcloud.

So listen kids, if you want to perform more than 110 Pet Sounds concerts for a tour you shouldn't take any hard drugs! Jeesh what an idiotic way to look at things.
I wonder what Mike Love fans would think if he went out on tour with his band, and just sat behind a keyboard  that he never touches, and sang from a teleprompter? I'm sure Mike knows about Brian's touring schedule, and knows that his band does most of the work.

I think if Mike Love had as bad a back as Brian has his fans wouldn't be big enough assholes to look down on him for sitting at concerts (though, maybe they would be big enough assholes to bring this up Roll Eyes). Brian also takes medication for manic-depressive/schizoaffective disorder that could very well affect his memory, hence I'm sure the TelePrompter helps greatly in this regard (keeping in mind he had the symptoms of mental illness prior to taking drugs). Edit: also want to add that Brian has had terrible stage fright his entire life so I'm sure the teleprompter is also a reassuring tool for Brian.

I'm sure Mike does know about Brian's tour schedule, and oddly enough he probably understands that yes, the band does most of the work (a 5 year old could deduce that Brian can't be playing every instrument on the stage or singing every harmony). Contrary to David Beard's hilarious belief that Brian only sings "on occasion" and when he's "inspired", Brian sings in nearly every song that is played. And that Brian's band has more former members of The Beach Boys than the touring band it only makes sense that he's not singing lead on every song.

Your post should be in the running for the Cam Mott Most Ridiculous Mike Love Defense of the year award.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:20:26 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 02:46:10 AM »

I am wondering if this was an actual interview. It is three Mike quotes after questions to which anyone here could have written the answers.  Not saying that Mike did not say those things to someone, but it sounds like the type of questioning one would encounter at a book reading or reporter-filled media event. Plus, in an actual interview, I am not sure that Mike would have let the author mention "Kokomo" without gloating about how 'he wrote' a number one song without Brian.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 06:03:57 AM »

I wonder what Mike Love fans would think if he went out on tour with his band, and just sat behind a keyboard  that he never touches, and sang from a teleprompter? I'm sure Mike knows about Brian's touring schedule, and knows that his band does most of the work.

Well, it's not as if Mike is tearing up a keyboard or ripping out guitar solos...or ever did. I would say, given Mike's current voice, his band does a lot of heavy lifting too. Brian's purpose is really to take a years-long victory lap and say, "I wrote all this, and look how great it is, and look how I've survived everything I've been through." And that's fine. And Mike's purpose--to do shows and make money from his band's career catalog--is fine too.

More power to both those guys, but Mike's bitterness is just not a good look. It's as if the successes Brian has had in the last two decades have made him MORE bitter. Hmm...

Also, Brian deserves credit for continuing to pursue creative projects into his 70s.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:05:32 AM by Amy B. » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »

I wonder what Mike Love fans would think if he went out on tour with his band, and just sat behind a keyboard  that he never touches, and sang from a teleprompter? I'm sure Mike knows about Brian's touring schedule, and knows that his band does most of the work.

Huh What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Huh

This may be the least intelligent 'contribution' to any Beach Boys related website... ... ...E V E R.  If not it comes a DAMN close 2nd to some of mine.  No wonder you're "Lonely". Razz

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 06:35:03 AM »

More power to both those guys, but Mike's bitterness is just not a good look. It's as if the successes Brian has had in the last two decades have made him MORE bitter. Hmm...

The only worse look than Mike's bitterness is anyone who tries to defend his pitiful bitterness.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:41:45 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 07:06:09 AM »

Also, Brian deserves credit for continuing to pursue creative projects into his 70s.

Wait, according to Mike, "Brian’s life is controlled completely," "It has been since Gene Landy, and it still is."

So technically Brian doesn't deserve any credit for his creative projects but his handlers do. Defend on, Mike apologists. Godspeed in your futile pursuit.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 07:46:37 AM »

It's when the comments made are not backed up by the facts and the actual record, as in suggesting things about Brian's output as a musician considering he's released a dozen albums under his own name since 1995 and is also "Still Tourin'" into 2017, that there is a serious disconnect with reality. And then concurrent with that usually comes the small chorus saying things about Brian not being in control, not doing what he wants to do...etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

It becomes a parody of itself, and it might even be considered funny if it weren't so personally directed at Brian or anyone in his life. It borders on sick, on top of being absurd.

To put more icing on that stale cake, then we get cases like someone recently suggesting in an interview that Mike never has a bad word for his cousin. Really, after all the interviews anyone can access and quote?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »

LOL

Ok, so it's been boiled down to a work ethic thing. Hmmm. Uh, let's explore this "most of the work" agenda you've concocted.

1. Back in the heyday, myKe did not care for nor did he have much time to hang in the studio and mess too much with the infinite details about what Brian did to craft his incredible arrangements. He was far too busy running after local tail. How many women did he invade with his seed?

2. Seems to me that Brian did close to 99.9% of the heavy lifting to make it all happen for the luHvster, by creating, writing, arranging(both vocally and musically), and performing.

3. It readily appears that because Brian did, in fact, did what he did like let's say BB Today or Pet Sounds for instance, in which from concept to finished product, set myKe luHv up for the rest of his miserable life to make millions, not to mention the rest of the group.

So what was that you stated about Brian not working? Just sayin'.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »

Great OSD post ever!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 10:13:08 AM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »

Another point. Mike has to 'rent' the bands name as he has zero profile of his own. Solo Brian has only EVER toured under his own name.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx