gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:19:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: At least there's always music?  (Read 1867 times)
Jarhead ghost
Smiley Smile Associate

"Unfinished Business"

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:16:47 PM »

No matter how deeply despaired I've been  over a  past family crisis, or self-absorbed in personal failure, there has always been music to comfort me. Restore me.

But have you ever found yourself so devoid of hope that to attempt to listen causes even more disturbing feelings?

I like to listen to mr bungle because i feel safe knowing i'm supposed to feel that way. Then at some point a week later usually I enjoy the beatles again.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:31:30 PM by Jarhead ghost » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:36:49 PM »

No matter how deeply despaired I've been  over a  past family crisis, or self-absorbed in personal failure, there has always been music to comfort me. Restore me.

But have you ever found yourself so devoid of hope that to attempt to listen causes even more disturbing feelings?

I like to listen to mr bungle because i feel safe knowing i'm supposed to feel that way. Then at some point a week later usually I enjoy the beatles again.

I can't say that I've ever been so devoid of hope that music causes more bad things.  The most negative thing that's happened was listening to a particular song / album during a bad time has caused me to associate that song / album with that bad time. 

Most notably, because I'd just discovered them, I was listening to the Evergrey album A Touch of Blessing a lot when my grandfather died.  So, for a long time, anytime I'd hear a song off that album, it would make me think back to that period.  But, now over a dozen years later, I think that association is fading.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »

Sometimes I just don't feel like listening
Jarhead ghost
Smiley Smile Associate

"Unfinished Business"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »

It is impossible to read a book while listening to music. I'll give you that
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 04:36:02 AM »

Sometimes I just don't feel like listening

Silence can be golden at times. And it's nice to give one's internal jukebox a chance...

It is impossible to read a book while listening to music. I'll give you that

I certainly can't do it. I take my hat off to folks who can.

At some stages of my work I can play instrumental music without being unduly distracted. It's not the same as concentrated listening but it's allowed me to lend an ear to stuff (mainly masses of symphonies!) I would never hear otherwise.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx