-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  AGD missing, the future of this forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AGD missing, the future of this forum  (Read 106607 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:24:15 PM »

Hello! Long-time member here, infrequent poster. I've noticed a drop in activity here of late, are we all talked out on BB? Or do we just need another good news item to get the ball rolling again? And whatever happened to AGD, the bedrock of the forum?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:24:50 PM by GoogaMooga » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »

He was banned for being a bully.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:37:42 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23685.0.html
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »

That "bedrock" of the forum turned out to be more like quicksand (read the thread posted by Funky Pretty) and it's incredibly obvious that the forum carried on just fine in it's absence. AGD and his little friends now reside on the Pet Sounds Forum (a tumbleweed infested fringe of the Beach Boys web-sphere where those who got kicked off here for legitimate reasons reside).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:11:04 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:31:37 PM »

I'll probably get quite a lot of argument about this, but I'll say it anyway. I think that the belief that everybody over on PSF are evil is toxic, and I believe that PSF believing everybody on the SS board are evil is also toxic. Somewhere down the line this board split into two factions, with everybody against everybody else. I can't even muster up enough energy to be pissed off anymore. I'm just incredibly sad. SmileySmile used to be the number 1 Beach Boy's website on the internet. But not any longer. In the last day or so I've come to believe that everybody banned starting with Andrew Doe to today should be allowed to come back for 30 days. If those 30 days end without any "incidents", then another 30 should be added, and we would just play it by ear from there. Of course, more than two mods would be needed to help keep an eye on certain people.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »

I'll probably get quite a lot of argument about this, but I'll say it anyway. I think that the belief that everybody over on PSF are evil is toxic, and I believe that PSF believing everybody on the SS board are evil is also toxic. Somewhere down the line this board split into two factions, with everybody against everybody else. I can't even muster up enough energy to be pissed off anymore. I'm just incredibly sad. SmileySmile used to be the number 1 Beach Boy's website on the internet. But not any longer. In the last day or so I've come to believe that everybody banned starting with Andrew Doe to today should be allowed to come back for 30 days. If those 30 days end without any "incidents", then another 30 should be added, and we would just play it by ear from there. Of course, more than two mods would be needed to help keep an eye on certain people.

After seeing all you saw, you want Doe back? f*** that. No one who brings someone's kids into their personal grudges or issues is welcome here.

Man, is that ever a disappointing post from you. Seriously, after all that has gone down? f*** that. Ask Billy as well about the banned members being allowed back and what they did to get banned.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 08:42:53 PM »

It was just a thought. An idea to try to change this place. Alright, Doe's out then.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »

After seeing all you saw, you want Doe back? f*** that. No one who brings someone's kids into their personal grudges or issues is welcome here.
Just for the record, I had completely forgotten about that particular issue. I agree with you on that.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 08:56:45 PM »

How about this guy?

Once last word before I bid you all farewell.
Craig, you are the most overbearing, blowhard, bellend I have ever come across.
Debbie, Brian dumped your saggy ass decades ago- move on.
Rab, NPP is still a big steaming pile of dogshit.
Billy, have fun in your sheltered accomodation, loser.

See you all under my next alias
MB.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 08:57:38 PM »

@Jay, that's exactly why I asked repeatedly for at least an overview of the major bans that took place on this site (and sticky such a thread in the sandbox). Between harassment of valued members, to sarcasm aimed directly/intentionally at an insider, the call for JT to commit suicide, those who were compared to suicide bombers because they think Mike Love is a prick, etc etc. None of those guys deserve to come back. And as for AGD coming back, please re-read that thread posted above and the PMs Billy posted later in that thread to get a full appreciation for all the angst Billy went through during that time...do any mods deserve to possibly have to go through such a thing again? There are so many other examples of reprehensible behavior of those who were booted from this board (many now post on the PS forum).

Of course not everyone over on the PS forum is evil. But the core of the place is made up of posters who were booted from here for legitimate and serious reasons - ask Billy about any of those bans and see if he wants any of those guys back.

This place took a hit. But it has honestly been phenomenal to post here without the potential for receiving a PM with bum information in it regarding Melinda's story (which happened to me and others). It has been great to not have to read why VDPs supposedly isn't a credible source for Beach Boys anecdotes because he flubbed a factoid about a poet in a Twitter post in 2013. It has been great not debating the idiots who defended Mike Love at every turn even when Mike was clearly in the wrong. It has been great not having to see Debbie KL get harassed for being supportive of Brian Wilson's musical output. The list of benefits goes on.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:58:55 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »

and this one:

Why do you guys even bother discussing subjects where there can be no happy ending for you? Aren't there dungeons where you can work as subs of the most violent order? ... In another life you'd all be suicide bombers.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 08:58:54 PM »

I'll probably get quite a lot of argument about this, but I'll say it anyway. I think that the belief that everybody over on PSF are evil is toxic, and I believe that PSF believing everybody on the SS board are evil is also toxic. Somewhere down the line this board split into two factions, with everybody against everybody else.

Alternative Facts are soooo in at the moment. LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »

I'll probably get quite a lot of argument about this, but I'll say it anyway. I think that the belief that everybody over on PSF are evil is toxic, and I believe that PSF believing everybody on the SS board are evil is also toxic. Somewhere down the line this board split into two factions, with everybody against everybody else.

Alternative Facts are soooo in at the moment. LOL

They sure are.

kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »

BB fans are not getting any younger, and forums are out of favor with the new generation: they use sites like Reddit. So banning AGD  and splitting the user base in two is basically signing this forum's death warrant. It's going to be a challenge surviving, don't make it impossible by creating two rival forums.

I say unban everybody. Mods can delete posts and lock threads that get out of hand.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 09:03:37 PM »

BB fans are not getting any younger, and forums are out of favor with the new generation: they use sites like Reddit. So banning AGD  and splitting the user base in two is basically signing this forum's death warrant. It's going to be a challenge surviving, don't make it impossible by creating two rival forums.

I say unban everybody. Mods can delete posts and lock threads that get out of hand.

Not happening.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 09:05:57 PM »

This has been a fun exercise, but the attempt to save face for Doe by suggesting this or any other forum is dying will not work. The truth got out, now he has to answer for it. Alongside others - There is a lot of answering to do.

But, if the attempt to do it were to be graded, it gets a solid F.

Reddit? That was so 2015...

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 09:12:49 PM »

Lot of talk about numbers recently too, like how many were at this event or that event...

Is splitting the user base in two an accurate statement when the forum with Doe and company averages around 10-15 users online reading at any given time, while this one averages around 90 or 100? This forum's numbers are essentially where they were a year or more ago. If the presence of Doe is such a strong drawing card, why isn't the forum where he posts breaking 15 readers and why is the Britain forum dead in the water? Hardly a new thread there for weeks.

The numbers don't jive with the theory.

kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 09:15:40 PM »

This has been a fun exercise, but the attempt to save face for Doe by suggesting this or any other forum is dying will not work. The truth got out, now he has to answer for it. Alongside others - There is a lot of answering to do.

Doe was not only a major contributor, but he was a BB scholar with incredible expertise. Sure he's an eccentric and can be very acerbic, but when you're dealing with somebody who contributes so much and is basically irreplaceable, you gotta give them more leeway, otherwise you're just hurting your own forum.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »

Doe was not only a major contributor, but he was a BB scholar with incredible expertise. Sure he's an eccentric and can be very acerbic, but when you're dealing with somebody who contributes so much and is basically irreplaceable, you gotta give them more leeway, otherwise you're just hurting your own forum.

He lied, slandered people, and used people's family and kids as punchlines of insults and subjects of slander. You approve of that? You know where to find him and his bullshit.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 09:19:46 PM »

To be honest, I don't know much about why certain people besides Doe were banned. Thinking it over, Doe was indeed banned for a valid reason. As well as Mike's Beard. Perhaps I should have thought more carefully before posting. I just think it's sad that things went the way they did.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 09:22:26 PM »

Doe is a lying snake.  If allowed back he would only continue as he has. You guys haven't seen the worst.  I can't due to confidential information from the affected party but have made them aware.  I made sure of that.  

I will say this...libel is a hell of a thing. He'd best tread lightly

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 09:23:54 PM »

To be honest, I don't know much about why certain people besides Doe were banned. Thinking it over, Doe was indeed banned for a valid reason. As well as Mike's Beard. Perhaps I should have thought more carefully before posting. I just think it's sad that things went the way they did.

I think it's sad too. For all involved, especially those who got dragged into the mud including Billy and me. But it's a done deal now, and all the attempts to try resurrecting or boosting Doe or any of these people who lied can be met with a simple reminder of the facts and the reasons why all of it happened, as shown above. The choices were made, they chose to lie and behave as they did, and they are not welcome.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 09:28:25 PM »

For real? Ask Billy about all the bullshit he went through giving that guy leeway - what Billy did for the guy went beyond leeway - and still Doe is throwing temper tantrums about Billy on his facebook (even throwing in petulant digs at Billy's personal life - real adult). If you or anyone else hasn't: read the thread posted above regarding AGD's ban, then read the PMs that Billy posted regarding Melinda. There were more PMs that weren't brought to light that maybe honestly should come to light so people would once and for all realize just how f***ed up things got.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »

And as Al Jolson said, "you ain't seen nothing yet..."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »

And as Al Jolson said, "you ain't seen nothing yet..."

Oh, wait...that was Bachman Turner Overdrive who said that. Jolson was "you ain't heard nothin yet..."

Where are the fact checkers when you need them?

Oh...never mind.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: