-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  AGD missing, the future of this forum
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AGD missing, the future of this forum  (Read 107324 times)
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2017, 04:05:26 AM »

10 pages about this guy, lol really?  LOL
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2017, 04:46:14 AM »

Now 11, thanks!

I don't know if it was coincidence or not but nearly the day after many of us expressed our appreciation for Stephen Desper in this very thread he came back to this forum. Be it one page or 30 I'm glad this thread was created for that reason alone.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2017, 04:59:40 AM »

Don't forget he also said he found out where Ang Jones lives and not to be surprised if something happened to her.

I think Ang could take care of herself even though doekoko has a brown belt in waddling.

Thanks for the vote of confidence - I'm fine so far and not scared of AGD. He knows where I live because many many years ago he borrowed various news cuttings and I had to write a stern letter to get him to return them which he did by post. Having made the comments he has made on a public forum he would have to be extremely stupid  to take matters any further!

Thanks to those who have expressed concern - the good outweigh the bad on most of the message boards including this one.

I hope my demeanour hasn't changed for the worst! Please accept my apologies if so.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2017, 05:07:05 AM »

Why not just lock the thread or move to the sandbox? Honestly, I guarantee AGD is rubbing his hands in glee at all this attention.

And anybody mourning the loss of his expertise, he may have been good with dates and session logs but I always thought his hearing was a little iffy:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,550.0.html

IT'S CLEARLY BRIAN SINGING ON THAT DEMO!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAGARvThO58

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2017, 05:13:54 AM »

Welcome back Ang! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2017, 05:26:29 AM »

Welcome back Ang! Cool

Thanks SMiLE Brian!

AGD of course is only missing from here. He is still in evidence elsewhere so hopefully the large number he has offended in the past won't be helping police with their enquires.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 30, 2017, 05:40:37 AM »

Why not just lock the thread or move to the sandbox? Honestly, I guarantee AGD is rubbing his hands in glee at all this attention.

And anybody mourning the loss of his expertise, he may have been good with dates and session logs but I always thought his hearing was a little iffy:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,550.0.html

IT'S CLEARLY BRIAN SINGING ON THAT DEMO!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAGARvThO58

That line around :43 seconds "no need for birds, no need for birds" - especially that last "birds" sounds just like BW88 era Brian. Not to mention that the rest of it sounds like vintage Brian anyways.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2017, 06:14:28 AM »

No Ang...it didn't' change for the worse'.  Your posts did, though, seem somehow deflated of their original enthusiasm and excitement... the 'feel' you used to include.  It was if you had lost your on-line 'joie de vivre'.  Because I had become fed up with the endless bickering and fighting over many things which really had nothing to do with Brian or his music [and because I had a full time project...in terms of prepping, applying and filing in an attempt to acquire a brand new license to own and operate a radio station] so I stepped away.  Over those 30 months or so...THINGS changed.  [some of them for you...]

No apology due ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... from YOU.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »

Don't forget he also said he found out where Ang Jones lives and not to be surprised if something happened to her.
That's pretty heavy stuff, the worst among his offences imho. That guy is the worst thing that could happen to a fanbase.

Classic example of the hammer hitting the nail squarely on the head.   Rock!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »

No Ang...it didn't' change for the worse'.  Your posts did, though, seem somehow deflated of their original enthusiasm and excitement... the 'feel' you used to include.  It was if you had lost your on-line 'joie de vivre'.  Because I had become fed up with the endless bickering and fighting over many things which really had nothing to do with Brian or his music [and because I had a full time project...in terms of prepping, applying and filing in an attempt to acquire a brand new license to own and operate a radio station] so I stepped away.  Over those 30 months or so...THINGS changed.  [some of them for you...]

No apology due ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... from YOU.

Thanks for that Add Some. There have been dispiriting moments for many of us I suppose - indeed we are too often focused on the negative side of things which Brian Wilson himself seems to manage not to do as often as some of his fans.

That's pretty heavy stuff, the worst among his offences imho. That guy is the worst thing that could happen to a fanbase.

Classic example of the hammer hitting the nail squarely on the head.   Rock!

And THORgil is good with the accurate wielding of hammers so nice metaphor!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »

Just found that topic, I recalled it's sth. to do with setting the record straight, here's post about OSD: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14464.msg326433.html#msg326433
Thanks RR for this reminder of how this board REALLY was when it was "healthy, thriving and full of great contributions by real experts". Huh

AGD saying something dumb and mean, and OSD responding with a homophobic comment ... classic Smiley.

You all would do well to remove your blinders so you can see past the political Brian-camp/Mike-camp politics.

AGD was clearly a jerk in some of his posts, but he was a knowledgeable jerk. At the end of the day, he contributed a wealth of knowledge to the board. Some other posters are simply jerks in some of their posts. I'm sure we're all sweet peaches in real life and we'd get along just dandy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:02:36 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »

Let's hold a smiley smile board convention somewhere hold hands and all sing kumbaya!!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »

Credit where it is due. I agree that AGD is very knowledgable on the subject of the Beach Boys. That is undeniable. Not infallible - no-one is.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2017, 08:31:35 AM »

You all would do well to remove your blinders so you can see past the political Brian-camp/Mike-camp politics.

If the politics didn't extend to a poster's home address being pursued by an "interested party" or abhorrent PM rumors that involve the adopted children of Melinda and Brian for god's sake then I would agree with you.

Sometime it's good to know where bias lies...the next time someone gets a PM stating that the Landy/Melinda dealership confrontation in 'Love and Mercy' was "pure invention" (as I did) it may be good to know that the person spreading this information has a history of spreading erroneous "rumors" regarding Melinda. Oh, btw, that scene isn't an "invention" at all.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:56:52 PM by rab2591 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »

I was there at the dealership..... Wink

J/K

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »

LOL

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »

If the politics didn't extend to a poster's home address being pursued by an "interested party" or abhorrent PM rumors that involve the adopted children of Melinda and Brian for god's sake then I would agree with you.

Sometime it's good to know where bias lies...the next time someone gets a PM stating that the Landy/Melinda dealership confrontation in 'Love and Mercy' was "pure invention" (as I did) it may be good to know that the person spreading this information has a history of spreading erroneous "facts" regarding Melinda. Oh, btw, that scene isn't an "invention" at all.

I was specifically referring to tolerating BS from certain posters because they're on your "side" in general.

Some folks are using straw man arguments here. I'm personally neutral on the banning of AGD. The allegations you guys are continually referring to are honestly way outside of the scope of what message board moderators should/can handle. If anyone really believes that true threats were made to harm other community members, then that is a matter that needs to be handled by outside authorities. I'm assuming (?) that the "threats" were not taken seriously.

That's not to say the mods didn't make the right decisions -- but airing portions of the dirty laundry likely doesn't paint the entire picture. From what I could gather, it seems like AGD was trying to lead people to believe there was a conspiracy, or he believed it himself and was trying to gather info ... and made some crude/rude jokes and said some shitty things along the way.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:12:39 AM by DonnyL » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »

The thing is, a board is a private enterprise and, not that anybody is asserting this is the case, I wouldn't expect a board to wait until a member is doing something that is potentially a reportable crime in order to take action against that member.

So what usually happens is one of two very broad scenarios. In one, as was the case here, many, many benefits of doubts were given, numerous warnings, and it wasn't until proof of very extreme and lamentable behavior was available that action was finally taken. I can see how the mods can get frustrated. They see complaints about action being too slow, only to later see complaints that the action was too severe and/or quick.

The other scenario is very strict moderation, which this board certainly *doesn't* have. Most folks tend to appreciate the lack of draconian moderation. On some boards, if you even in passing mention a bootleg or something, you're gone. One political post and you're gone. One post about religion and you're gone. And so on. Yes, there have been boards where you mention you bought "Yellow Matter Custard" on vinyl in 1975 at a swap meet and they'll either suspend or ban you, or at least delete the post and perhaps the thread.

Any enthusiastic fan, and certainly someone who has done research and authored books and all of that, being banned due to behavior is no doubt an awkward, unfortunate turn of events. But for some folks, there's a point where one can't have a sort of "mob wife" mentality about it anymore and just glean all the cool, on-topic stuff from someone even though there has been a glut of questionable behavior. Especially when that behavior centers quite a bit on things specifically to do with the band and band members that are the topic of this board.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:40:48 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2017, 12:56:29 PM »

Solid points, HeyJude.

All around it was an unfortunate turn of events. I guess the bright side is that hopefully people will be less likely to flat out believe anything they are told, and hopefully they will do research on their own to verify any piece of information they are given - even by those who seem to be credible sources. This very much includes this very PM fiasco.

I also want to redact my above statement that erroneous "facts" were spread about Melinda. I meant to write "erroneous rumors". Anywho, I think it's all behind this forum now, and hopefully there won't be any more calls for unbanning people who clearly deserved to be booted.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:58:04 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

I think all members who lose their frogs should be sent packing. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: January 30, 2017, 02:26:07 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »

Just found that topic, I recalled it's sth. to do with setting the record straight, here's post about OSD: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14464.msg326433.html#msg326433
Thanks RR for this reminder of how this board REALLY was when it was "healthy, thriving and full of great contributions by real experts". Huh

AGD saying something dumb and mean, and OSD responding with a homophobic comment ... classic Smiley.

AGD was clearly a jerk in some of his posts, but he was a knowledgeable jerk. At the end of the day, he contributed a wealth of knowledge to the board. Some other posters are simply jerks in some of their posts. I'm sure we're all sweet peaches in real life and we'd get along just dandy.

The agdster fired a salvo at me bringing up a part of anatomy that opened the door for me to fire back as I did. Not that I will, but if you think that was ugly, there were the PM's that he thought I'd get fired up about which I did not. I considered the source and ignored him for the most part. He's a nasty, little child at heart who wants control and power and did everyone here a favor by letting it explode smack dab in the middle of his fat face. Being an obsessive follower of a band does not give him a free pass to be a rude, arrogant prick to fellow posters.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »

I think AGD is like Tom Hanks' character in the movie "big"..... Wink

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2017, 03:05:53 PM »

I think AGD is like Tom Hanks' character in the movie "big"..... Wink

If he was Tom Hanks's character in "Cast Away", the volleyball would have been named "Love"

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »

With a Straw hat on the volleyball....

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: