gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:11:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Student Demonstration Time an attempt at propaganda?  (Read 5999 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 02:04:18 AM »

It gets a bad rep, but SDT is the closest Mike ever got to social commentary. Well, Summer In Paradise is pretty close. I still think "The winds of change fanned into flames, student demonstrations sparked" is an awesome line.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 02:06:39 AM »

I always thought "Revolution" had one of the most astute moments of political commentary ever stated by anyone, musician or no:

"You say you want a revolution,
well you know,
we'd all love to see the plan."

Effective action requires more than talk and desire; it requires commitment and preparation.  Nailed it.

Especially in '68, a very clear-eyed assessment of the perils and dictates of change.  Always loved it.

Mike's SDT is actually interesting; he's clearly not excusing the establishment's actions, but he is certainly cautioning people that they could get themselves killed at the same time.  In terms of acknowledging both the tenor of the times and the hard realities, it does share a little DNA with "Revolution."
What a great post. I've never really took note of that particular line, but I agree 100% with everything you said.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »

All I care/cared about was the fact that SDT got the BB back on FM radio, quickly. It definitely helped greatly in the masterpiece of SU being anticipated and loved.

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »

I think Mike was just making a common sense observation that if you go to a demonstration a riot might break out, see the Washington DC riots at the inauguration for a recent example.  Also he is correctly noting that it might be dangerous or as another group sang, apparently without censure from this forum, "four dead in Ohio...how many more?".  To me the fail of the song lyrically was the "martyrs earned a new degree, the bachelor of bullets".  Not funny, but I do think it was more an example of an attempt at ill-advised Hawthorn So Cal humor than anything else, that line.  Is hard to believe someone didn't edit that out of the song though...Actually though I hate the whole damned song because it is irritating, the sound of Mike like he's singing through a bullhorn, sonically sticks out like a sore thumb in the album's context, the wailing sirens, the fact that they just changed the lyrics to an existing song ala Brian with Surfin' USA, though his exercise was tons more artful.  The propaganda content or construct of the song was pushing the idea that the BB's actually gave a crap about demonstrations, the movement, etc.  I happen to think this was probably a big fat load....just don't think it was really that big a deal to them, this was just marketing at work....trying to make the group seem hip politically when it was doubtful they even voted, IMHO.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx