gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:04:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibs/Can I Get a Witness Marvin Gaye Similarity  (Read 1879 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »

Want to see what you guys think of this. Its nothing shocking but you can hear that signature piano riff. Has this been discussed before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQKfKjv6lE
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »

Good Vibrations was originally conceived as a soul record.  This has never made sense to my brain until you pointed this out.  Thank you.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »

Good Vibrations was originally conceived as a soul record.  This has never made sense to my brain until you pointed this out.  Thank you.
Danny Hutton has said that a number of times. I didn't understand that either, listening to early versions really doesnt have that much of a soul feel. Not surprised he used a riff that he'd heard, those things have crept into his songs before. Interesting to see where he got some of the inspiration from.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »

Want to see what you guys think of this. Its nothing shocking but you can hear that signature piano riff. Has this been discussed before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQKfKjv6lE

I totally hear it. Absolutely. Good ear!

Also, this Marvin Gaye tune sounds quite a bit like Carl's Big Chance.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:34:33 AM »

Now that's a lot closer to these cloth ears. Of course, "CIGAW" spawned quite a raft of great soundalikes (Donnie Elbert's "A Little Piece of Leather", Tommy Tucker's "Hi Heel Sneakers", The Animals' "Send You Back To Walker"...).

What I hear at c. 1:42 of "GV" is the chords of The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" but back to front, so to speak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

Even the "Wilson Pickett" version is too laid back in my opinion for comparison with the urgent likes of "Witness" and Solomon Burke's "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love".

Just my two (or three) eurocents...     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »

Now that's a lot closer to these cloth ears. Of course, "CIGAW" spawned quite a raft of great soundalikes (Donnie Elbert's "A Little Piece of Leather", Tommy Tucker's "Hi Heel Sneakers", The Animals' "Send You Back To Walker"...).

What I hear at c. 1:42 of "GV" is the chords of The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" but back to front, so to speak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

Even the "Wilson Pickett" version is too laid back in my opinion for comparison with the urgent likes of "Witness" and Solomon Burke's "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love".

Just my two (or three) eurocents...     

Yeah, it's definitely there but it's in so many songs. Dirty Water also springs to mind. Most people of my generation who don't have the background of 60s music that I got from my parents, almost always associate it with the Sesame Street theme song.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »

Most people of my generation who don't have the background of 60s music that I got from my parents, almost always associate it with the Sesame Street theme song.

Haha. Yes indeed.

Another great song with that pattern is The Ad Libs' "The Boy From New York City":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svztw0okXKY

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx