gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:31:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keepin' The Summer Alive  (Read 19154 times)
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 06:47:38 AM »

"Which part in Goin' On do you mean?"

There's a part of the song, actually twice, where it's only Brian singing - Gooin' Oon.  I'm sure it was done to make him more part of the effort, but he didn't have the vocal ability to pull it off.

I think you are wrong with this in a few ways.  For one when I listen to that I hear Al in there.  For two, I don't think it has anything to do with his voice at the time.  I hear it as an intentional timbre they are doing.  If you listen to the backing of Be True To Your School (esp. verses) you hear a similar timbre and certainly none of them had any problems singing in 1965.

The little solo interjected "Goin' Oo-on!" bits after the verse are Brian, not Al. When they did the song live in 1980, with both Brian and Al on stage, Brian sang that part as well. (I remember in the distant olden days of the internet, some fans contended it was Dennis rather than Brian because of the sort of distant rasp, but I think that's before most knew of the more concrete evidence that Dennis hardly attended the KTSA sessions).

Brian's voice was hit-and-miss at best during the 1979/1980 KTSA sessions and subsequent touring, and his voice on the studio version of "Goin' On" sounds like what his voice sounded like at that time, with some effects added so it isn't totally dry.

Oh THAT part.  Sorry.  Yes, that is definitely Brian.  The multiple o's in the OP made me think they were referring to something different, my bad.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 07:52:02 PM »

I love the whole album. I played it all the time with my best girl in a 1978 Z28. We sang along and laughed at the KTSA "Duh duh, duh" part because I would always sing that to be a goof. Great memories about that album and that time period.  The album has odd songs, but what else do you expect from the Beach Boys? I would not have it any other way. Sunshine is catchy IMO.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 11:11:43 PM »

Very unusual album in that it is less than the sum of its parts. Some nice tunes/songs on it but overall it's just rubbish for some reason.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 12:38:48 AM »

There are some songs I like. The title track is a massive guilty pleasure for me-  I am a big Randy Bachman fan and Carl sings his ass off. Goin' On is one of the best Brian songs from the era that,  IMHO,  should have been a hit. But it does veer off into self-parody with Some Of Your Love, School Days, and Endless Harmony.  This record is Exhibit A for why post-60's Brian and Mike just don't work well together .

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 01:17:52 AM »

Keepin' the Summer Alive was the first bad Beach Boys album I listened to, and I was pretty amazed at how low they could go. Granted, I've purposefully avoided Summer in Paradise for these last few years, but I can't imagine the songwriting is much worse than what KTSA has to offer, other than just being coated in obnoxious, smelly cheese. And the production on this album is flatter than champagne leftover from New Year's Eve. "Goin' On" is the only song worth keeping.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 04:44:20 AM »

I rarely listen to it, but I think the standout track, if there is one, is Santa Ana Winds. Too bad they didn't release the alternate, unspoken version which is even better. I thought some of the songs like WGGT, Sunshine, Some of Your Love were really REALLY bad!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »

"Santa Anna Winds" sounds like it could have been part of the California saga..very good song that sounds out of place on the album. "Living with a Heartache" is a cool song. "Going On" is okay. "Keeping the summer alive" is okay. "When girls get together" (as an instrumental) is great, the album version with the bad lyrics and the horrible production ruins a great instrumental. "Oh Darlin'" is Okay (for Brian). "Sunshine" is okay but not great (I prefer the solo song from "Imagination" better). "Some of your love" sounds too much like "wont you Come out tonight" in parts. "Endless harmony" starts off really boring but when Carl's voice comes in the song gets really good,  "School Days" is really the bottom of the barrel for them, one of their worst cover tunes. So I would say the album is just okay with a handful of good songs and a couple great songs. The same with "MIU". not as bad as people say but nothing special either. these two are nothing like "SIP".
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »

Livin With A Heartache is truly one of the worst Beach Boys songs of all time. Such a dirge of a song.

That said, I love the title track, Some Of Your Love, Santa Ana Winds and Goin On.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »

Great Album. WAY better than 1985, and keeps you awake better than L.A. Right up there with Carl and the Passions in my books.

Great songs:

Some of Your Love (classic Beach Boys, what's not to love here?)
School Day (great song, spirited performance, I happen to like rock music!)
Goin' On (one of my all time BB-faves, nothing guilty in this pleasure.)

Good songs:

When Girls Get Together (odd, but beautiful. Opened my mind to realize how women think, thanks boys!)
Santa Ana Winds (Al doing what he does best.)
Endless Harmony (epic, the great American story put to music, where it belongs.)

Less good songs:

Okay, both Carl songs on this one are quite bland. Semi-catchy at best.

sh*t:

Sunshine (but hey, it adds value, I mean this is THE only BB song I really, really don't like. Thatä's some achievement.)

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »

"Goin' On" is a cool song, but the production even on that one is weird. The backing vocals are too indistinct, the sax solo is total overkill. The 1980 "Friday's" TV show performance of the song is actually more enjoyable I think.

"

By any chance would you happen to know if there's anywhere online where that performance is posted?  It used to be on Youtube (two videos - one of Keepin' the Summer Alive and another one of Good Vibrations/Goin' On) but it has disappeared. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »

"Goin' On" is a cool song, but the production even on that one is weird. The backing vocals are too indistinct, the sax solo is total overkill. The 1980 "Friday's" TV show performance of the song is actually more enjoyable I think.

"

By any chance would you happen to know if there's anywhere online where that performance is posted?  It used to be on Youtube (two videos - one of Keepin' the Summer Alive and another one of Good Vibrations/Goin' On) but it has disappeared. 

I was going to provide a link to it, but indeed I couldn't find it upon a quick YouTube search.

There was a "Best of" DVD compilation of the "Friday's" show released a few years ago, and they cleared some musical performances for that set. Alas, it didn't include the Beach Boys.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »

"

I was going to provide a link to it, but indeed I couldn't find it upon a quick YouTube search.

There was a "Best of" DVD compilation of the "Friday's" show released a few years ago, and they cleared some musical performances for that set. Alas, it didn't include the Beach Boys.

Thanks for letting me know.  That's a real shame though because it was a great performance!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »

I think the KTSA album would benefit from an entirely new remix.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »

A remix could help, although if you compare the rough mix of "Da Doo Ron Ron" floating around to the eventual "official" mix on "Made in Calfornia", I think the MIC remix is too wet/reverb-laden.

The original KTSA mix is kind of dry and boxey, but I don't think just adding reverb would help. It would be interesting to hear what the raw multitracks sound like I suppose.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »

The original KTSA mix is kind of dry and boxey, but I don't think just adding reverb would help. It would be interesting to hear what the raw multitracks sound like I suppose.
Well, that's kind of what I mean. The whole thing is so processed and sterile that it doesn't even sound like a real band. I think the album needs to be remixed so it sounds more like an actual "live in the studio" sound.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »

For my tastes KTSA is THE BEST Beach Boys STUDIO album released after Holland until TWGMTR.  As someone pointed out [checking back it was my old friend KDS]  EVERY album [even Love You] has at least 2 or 3 very good to out and out great songs.  KTSA has more really good songs than any of the others.  Production-wise it perhaps would have benefited from someone stronger than Bruce to try and pull it off.  But heh!!!!  There's worse than this.  [Here Comes the Night at the Disco for example.]  It goes without saying that sometimes even good 'prod' can't save a bad idea.

Keeping the Summer Alive...Not necessarily their best effort but it does include some Joe Walsh guitar work and so I'll accept it as at least a 1/2-assed effort.  I was working in Winnipeg at the time...and we thought we'd play it.  Some days it works.  Some?  Maybe not so much.  Certainly the WRONG song to start off the album.

Oh Darlin'...I like it.  I like it a LOT.  We also played this one.  The sax thing doesn't ruin it for me.

Some of Your Love.  Yick!!!  Pure dreck.  Not worthy of even being recorded.  None of your love thanks.  Not even the fake Beach Boys would play this kind of poo.  {Oh wait.  I forgot.  They do include Pieces Brother.}

Livin' With a Heartache. A  VERY good song.   I was the station Program Director at that time.  We played this one.  [and gladly]  We played the title track too as Randy and his family were Winnipeggers.  We played the Ironhorse songs he wrote with Carl too.

School Day.  Good fun.  Nice job.  Another connection with Chuck dating back to 1963 and their very first HUGE hit.  [both the single AND the album]  We played this one too.

Maybe Side 2 should have been Side 1... ... ...  The song order, as is, doesn't work at all

Goin' On...Yep!!!  This song has 'it' goin' on.  And we played it.

Sunshine...THIS is a GREAT Beach Boys song.  One of their very best ever.  Should have been a single.  It's was a perfect sound for them.  Hip even.

When Girls Get Together.  Well... ... ...NO.  Poop on a stick really.  Wouldn't play this one even on the competition's station.  Barf-worthy.

Santa Anna Winds...A 50/50 kind of 'I can take it or leave it' kind of filler tune.  Not bad I guess.

Endless Harmony.  Yep.  Works for me.  We played this one a little bit too.  "And we sang God Bless America"...gets me every time and I generally loathe that kind of chest thumping nationalism from south of the border.  This one strikes me as real and sincere.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, after all is said and done, 6 good to really good ones.  2 50/50 songs and 2 pieces of out and out dung.  Pretty good stuff for THAT era of the group's existence.

Yes...THIS l.p. is underrated.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:58:10 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 05:09:44 PM »

Really wish there was a Carl version of the Ironhorse song "What's Your Hurry Darlin". Possibly the best of the Bachman/Wilson collaborations. Easy to tell who wrote what on this one - Carl verses, Randy choruses.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2017, 03:40:07 AM »

I agree, What's Your Hurry Darlin sounds great.....would sound even better with Carl vocals, and the Boys on bv.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2017, 07:35:03 AM »

Well, that's kind of what I mean. The whole thing is so processed and sterile that it doesn't even sound like a real band. I think the album needs to be remixed so it sounds more like an actual "live in the studio" sound.

I think a good live boxed set that includes KTSA material would be the best bet to hear some of the songs in a more punchy mode.

In 1980, they had all of the following songs in the setlist at one point or another:

Keepin' the Summer Alive
Goin' On
Livin' with a Heartache
Some of Your Love
Santa Ana Winds
School Days

By the end of the year, only "School Days" had survived. I've always been surprised by how quickly "Goin' On" was dropped from the setlist; it was dropped before they even made it to the summer tour.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:03:12 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

I agree, What's Your Hurry Darlin sounds great.....would sound even better with Carl vocals, and the Boys on bv.
Yeah. The Ironhorse singer, Frank Ludwig, does a nice job of it, but he's not Carl Wilson.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »

I think a good live boxed set that includes KTSA material would be the best bet to hear some of the songs in a more punchy mode.

In 1980, they had all of the following songs in the setlist at one point or another:

Keepin' the Summer Alive
Goin' On
Livin' with a Heartache
Some of Your Love
Santa Ana Winds
School Days

By the end of the year, only "School Days" had survived. I've always been surprised by how quickly "Goin' On" was dropped from the setlist; it was dropped before they even made it to the summer tour.
I would buy a live cd featuring those songs.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2017, 02:19:26 PM »

The April 1980 Philadelphia show is actually purchasable as a download:

http://www.concertvault.com/the-beach-boys/spectrum-april-18-1980.html

That website also has a couple other 1980 shows, including the DC show that includes "Santa Ana Winds."

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2017, 02:34:02 PM »

I do remember being mocked by the owner of a mom and pop record store for wanting to purchase this album from him!  That was kind of the prevailing attitude regarding Les Bois around that time period, at least in my experience....I bought it anyway and was so disappointed in it that I thought maybe he was right!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2017, 08:12:56 PM »

COMMENT:   As you may recall, I was the chief engineer on this album. Following are some details, from the engineer’s perspective, that may be of interest.

Bruce Johnston was selected by the group to produce this album. Bruce called me and ask if I would engineer this time. It had been many years since Brian’s house studio in BelAir was closed.

I’m sure as a favor and recognition for his contribution to their music, everyone agreed to do the entire album at Rumbo Studios, designed and owned by Daryl Dragon. There were three large studios in the complex, plus a luxurious lounge and food bar decorated in a nautical theme – even portholes to look out. It was a first-class facility.

The Beach Boys booked the entire studio complex for two months. Lock out.

All the studios had English made Neve boards. These were (electrical linear circuit) Class A consoles and highly rated. All tape machines were Swiss made by Studer. The studios were acoustically easy to work in and beautifully finished.

I chose one studio for the standard control room, in which all songs were mixed down. The other studios were used for variation, and from time to time, my second would engineer add-one-instrument session in another studio while others were working in the standard studio. But for the most part, most everything was recorded in the standard, or main control room, because of the recording equipment. 

This was to be the most complex analog recording the boys ever did. Two monster Studer 24 track (2”) tape machines dominated one wall behind the console. The two machines were tied together (master and slave) to provide 46 tracks of analog audio. One, non-audio track (Track 9) on each machine was dedicated to “synchronization” that kept the two machines in absolute running sync. In practice it took about 15 seconds from the time you pushed the start button until the two machines were in sync. The fully analog console had 96 I/O modules (sliders) that were able to remember position and move to it. An excellent sounding console that was automated in the analog realm.

Far-field monitors were JBL. Near-field monitors were Yamaha.

Bruce as producer was there every day – and quite organized with a daily production agenda. Even though they had only two months, this was not to become much of a group effort, as a group. Rather, each day one Beach Boy would visit and do some recording that Bruce had conceived, or they would work on something together. Most of the time it was Bruce interacting with only one Beach Boy. Carl was there about 70% of the time and Alan 40% and Michael 10%.  Dennis popped in one time, but only listened. If I remember correctly, Brian also visited once along with Marilyn.

Outside musicians were used for many of the sounds on this album. Obviously, lots of stacking was done for vocal sound – good thing we had all those tracks.

My personal feeling about the album is that technology dictated too much of the production value. I call it “the multi-track dichotomy.” That is, the desire to fill every available track. Too much production – some would say, over produced. Having engineered for them in both situations, I know they work better as a team with fewer tracks. But at the time the team seemed fractured due to private life schedules, living in different cities, personal feelings. Of the few days two or more boys were there at the same time, they recorded in separate studios.

So I think this is reflected in the finish product, although Carl manages to give us some wonderful leads.

I have never liked any of the masterings I’ve heard for this album. Some day I’ll re-master it as a study-video, and bring out what is missing for . . .

Good Listening,
  ~Stephen W. Desper
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »

Mr. Desper, do you have a favorite moment and/or favorite track from this album? Any particular moments/anecdotes with any of the guys that stick out to you during your time recording this?

Thank you so much for you insight! That studio sounds like it was an amazing place.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx