gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680799 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:17:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Short New Interview w/ Mike on ABC News Website  (Read 6250 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »

The last "hit" they wrote together was in 1974 with "It's OK"
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »

Mike has been pressing the "I was the idea man" angle very hard in recent years. Yes, Mike wrote many lyrics, but it's not like he was the idea man a la Pete Townshend or Roger Waters. I'm all for Mike getting his due but his (relatively) subtle portrait of Brian as an idiot savant who could arrange great harmonies has become offensive.

One could make the case that Dennis was the "concept guy" - didn't he live the life?

Mike Love has once again entered the realm of "insufferable." Less charitable fans might say he never left it.

Hey Mike & Bruce: Just take next summer off. Maybe we'll miss you if you go away.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:29:24 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »

He wants/needs this "alone with Brian in a piano room" viewpoint to stick with people which is why he is abysmally monotonous about it in interview after interview. The fact is that people who don't have the intellect of a child can see right through his pathetic attempt at swaying public opinion. Lawsuit after friggin lawsuit, a history of complete reprehensible behavior when it comes to Brian's music (ie Redwood), the passive aggressive way Mike has talked about Brian to the press - why the f*** would anyone want to be alone with this guy in a room?

I hope you're not suggesting that I have "the intellect of a child" because I see it a slightly different way. Do I think Mike is manipulative? Yes. Do I think he can be horrible? Yes. Do I think he's totally passive aggressive about Brian and has his head in the sand when it comes to Brian's mental illness because it doesn't suit his narrative? Yes. However, I truly do believe that Mike also has some psychological issues of his own, and that there is part of him that's truly nostalgic for the good old days, when he could just hang out and laugh with "cousin Brian." I think he's bitter about the forces that took those days away, though, and he clearly fails to acknowledge the part he played... and the part that forces beyond anyone's control (not drugs, not wives) played.  It's appalling that he can't even make an effort to understand Brian and why Brian acts the way he does.

And I agree that Mike is toxic for Brian, and that it's completely understandable if Brian doesn't want him in his life. At a certain point, family or not, you have to stop surrounding yourself with people who are toxic. And Mike has been toxic for a long time.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »

He wants/needs this "alone with Brian in a piano room" viewpoint to stick with people which is why he is abysmally monotonous about it in interview after interview. The fact is that people who don't have the intellect of a child can see right through his pathetic attempt at swaying public opinion. Lawsuit after friggin lawsuit, a history of complete reprehensible behavior when it comes to Brian's music (ie Redwood), the passive aggressive way Mike has talked about Brian to the press - why the f*** would anyone want to be alone with this guy in a room?

I hope you're not suggesting that I have "the intellect of a child" because I see it a slightly different way. Do I think Mike is manipulative? Yes. Do I think he can be horrible? Yes. Do I think he's totally passive aggressive about Brian and has his head in the sand when it comes to Brian's mental illness because it doesn't suit his narrative? Yes. However, I truly do believe that Mike also has some psychological issues of his own, and that there is part of him that's truly nostalgic for the good old days, when he could just hang out and laugh with "cousin Brian." I think he's bitter about the forces that took those days away, though, and he clearly fails to acknowledge the part he played... and the part that forces beyond anyone's control (not drugs, not wives) played.  It's appalling that he can't even make an effort to understand Brian and why Brian acts the way he does.

And I agree that Mike is toxic for Brian, and that it's completely understandable if Brian doesn't want him in his life. At a certain point, family or not, you have to stop surrounding yourself with people who are toxic. And Mike has been toxic for a long time.

I think we're very much alike in how we think about Mike. It's my opinion that in some instances he has been wrongly vilified for destroying Brian's creative vision (regarding SMiLE for instance - I don't doubt he had a negative attitude regarding the project, but I think he had every right to be critical of a very strange direction the "band" was taking at that time). And I have no doubt that he is truly nostalgic for the days when he could sit down with Brian at a piano and they could work out a hit song.

But I don't really buy that he still believes this room is a realistic possibility. Like Bossaroo said above, "he knows his scenario of working "alone in a room" with Brian will never happen, which is why he's happy to keep bleating on and on about it when asked.". I do also agree with the viewpoint you shared above (that he probably is genuinely nostalgic for the past) but I don't think it contradicts the idea that Mike has no actual belief that this scenario is a likely possibility.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:04 PM »

Any B, I truly feel you hit the nail with your first swing.....PASSIVE AGGRESIVE.   Everyone take a minute and look up the medical definition (diagnosis) of this disorder....and then close your eyes......and think about Mikes continued behavior over the last 20 years.

At least (by SSmile accounts) Brian is medicated.  Just maybe someone else should be also....
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »

On one hand, I've long felt that Mike's role in the band has been denigrated by some.  Granted, it's not as important as Mike himself seems to claim, but it's still hard to imagine the BB's without him. I also think he's sometimes been unfairly blamed for certain things--the failure to complete Smile is probably a good example of that.

As such, I've long tried hard to find it in my heart to love Mike Love.

But man he makes it hard sometimes.  And now is one of those times.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 03:33:59 AM »

ML should just shut up. He's been a great singer and good lyricist (with some great moments) for the greatest band ever. With every new word coming from his mouth, or from his pen, he's only damaging his own legacy.
Not Brian's. Not the band's. His own.

P.S.
Alone in a room with Brian? Being in the same city is already too much.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:40:33 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 07:10:25 AM »

Interestingly, if the theory is that Mike gave an "I want to work with Brian again" interview to try to sort of mitigate the bad publicity from doing other gigs, it appears to have worked. Here's an example of an article that segues from the report about the Texas gig to a perceived (e.g. the guy writing the article doesn't know what the f**k he's talking about) "thawing" of Brian and Mike's relationship:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beach-boys-donald-trump-inaugural-ball/

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx