gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike is kind of playing the inauguration....  (Read 37402 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »

Why wouldn't Mike continue his weird set of mind games? I mean, really now. It's just like any other form of disinformation.

What we would need is confirmation from Brian that he, in fact, made any kind of overture corresponding to what was announced.

That's something we haven't seen as yet. And if we don't get it, then we know that it was another Lovester ploy.

I ain't holding my breath.

What we know about the USA right now is that the gloves are coming off. We are lucky to have removed from our bandwidth some folks who recently have demonstrated their true colors--and reading what they write over at that pale imitation of SS would be downright sickening if there weren't far more important things to do...such as stick up for multi-racial cooperation and social integration a la the example set by Carl Wilson in 1972 when he added two black South Africans to the Beach Boys.

Well said

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »

Why wouldn't Mike continue his weird set of mind games? I mean, really now. It's just like any other form of disinformation.

What we would need is confirmation from Brian that he, in fact, made any kind of overture corresponding to what was announced.

That's something we haven't seen as yet. And if we don't get it, then we know that it was another Lovester ploy.

I ain't holding my breath.

What we know about the USA right now is that the gloves are coming off. We are lucky to have removed from our bandwidth some folks who recently have demonstrated their true colors--and reading what they write over at that pale imitation of SS would be downright sickening if there weren't far more important things to do...such as stick up for multi-racial cooperation and social integration a la the example set by Carl Wilson in 1972 when he added two black South Africans to the Beach Boys.

Well said
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2017, 08:29:21 PM »

Is that referencing the inauguration events or Mike saying he's "open" to working with Brian again? I'm not sure, Don, which one you're referring to...but if it's the inauguration events, a statement was already made about that. If not, why would Brian or anyone be compelled to reply to someone who says they're open to working with them after bashing them, their wife, and friends/family repeatedly and publicly in the recent past?

As far as the inauguration events, maybe someone can help explain the decision not to announce the gig, then censor and shut down anyone on their fan page who tried to mention it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2017, 10:31:29 PM »

Hilariously, Mike not only has NOT mentioned this gig on his Facebook page, but today he posted a "Throwback Thursday" bit about the 1977 CBS Convention gig.

whoever's running Mike's fb page has also censored comments/visitor posts asking about the Texas inauguration ball & sharing the news link. Angry

eta: don't know if it's a facebook glitch (other pages seem ok) but I now seem to be blocked from liking or posting on his page.

Wow.  Sounds like they are just censoring anyone who posts anything inconvenient...
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:08 PM »

Nice performance by the Beach Boys at the inauguration! Wish I could have made it there but a 24 hour drive is a little to long.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2017, 12:45:33 AM »

Nice performance by the Beach Boys at the inauguration!

...Did I miss something?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2017, 01:06:19 AM »

Nice performance by the Beach Boys at the inauguration! Wish I could have made it there but a 24 hour drive is a little to long.

Way to (sorry, I meant "too") ignore all the previous posts completely! Congratulations! Amazing triumph of cognitive dissonance!  Vertical iPhone filming is the best!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:14:42 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2017, 01:21:22 AM »

Hilariously, Mike not only has NOT mentioned this gig on his Facebook page, but today he posted a "Throwback Thursday" bit about the 1977 CBS Convention gig.

whoever's running Mike's fb page has also censored comments/visitor posts asking about the Texas inauguration ball & sharing the news link. Angry

eta: don't know if it's a facebook glitch (other pages seem ok) but I now seem to be blocked from liking or posting on his page.

Wow.  Sounds like they are just censoring anyone who posts anything inconvenient...

Ridiculous way to run social media accounts. Cam and Fill need to be fired  LOL LOL LOL
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:22:26 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2017, 03:40:37 AM »

lol

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2017, 05:12:27 AM »

Nearly threw up from motion sickness after reading all the spin on the "pet sounds forum" about these gigs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2017, 06:17:04 AM »

Nice performance by the Beach Boys at the inauguration!

...Did I miss something?

Nah, I think it's just a troll post, a "I'm happy about whatever it is most of the fans here are concerned about because I support Trump" sort of post.

That, or you're seeing a post about the 1977 Carter inauguration that just took 40 years to appear on the board.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2017, 06:22:22 AM »

I'll pose the question again: What would be the logic on censoring fans on Mike's social media from even mentioning these inauguration event gigs?

The censorship of Mike's fans, even those who might want to post praise/support/etc for Mike or get news about the gigs from Mike's official pages, makes no sense on the surface.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2017, 06:28:06 AM »

Nearly threw up from motion sickness after reading all the spin on the "pet sounds forum" about these gigs.

I don't think there's any way you're not going to get that from some of those folks; at least one of them uses the pic of Mike with Trump from several months back as their avatar, and not in an ironic way. I'd say it's a more antagonist use of an avatar, though that's still a better explanation than the alternative; that someone, even a Trump supporter, actually just viscerally *likes* the pic of Trump and Mike. I dunno, maybe they have a big 24x36 poster of that pic hanging right above their bed or something.

To bring it more back to this board, and why I think despite some (understandably) contentious election/politics-related BB events, this board is doing much better, I think it's worth pointing out that the same couple of people who *used* to be on this board posting circular, obfuscating, apologist junk just to support Mike are the same people on another board heavily posting about why Mike's connection to inauguration activities is A-Okay, not even willing to acknowledge why objectively such a connection even *might* be a bad thing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2017, 06:42:34 AM »

I'll pose the question again: What would be the logic on censoring fans on Mike's social media from even mentioning these inauguration event gigs?

The censorship of Mike's fans, even those who might want to post praise/support/etc for Mike or get news about the gigs from Mike's official pages, makes no sense on the surface.

What's even weirder is that the censorship seems to not be consistent. I don't regularly read all the comments every day on every one of Mike's FB posts, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some generically critical comments in the past made towards Mike on his FB posts that just go ignored.

The fact that Mike's "people" floated the concept that Mike was "considering" the gig several weeks back certainly indicates they're not total idiots; they're *well aware* that this is a PR issue. So I wouldn't be surprised if someone has to take to Facebook and make an extra specific concerted effort to erase as much of anything to do with the inauguration stuff as they possibly can.

Make not mistake, there are certainly (lame) excuses one could make. For instance, Mike often (though not always) doesn't go out of his way to mention private/corporate gigs. These inauguration-related dinners/balls/galas could, in their mind, fall into this category. But if they did the main deal on the day in Washington DC and didn't mention it, it would be even more painfully obvious they're weirdly avoiding discussing it.

I think this is just an outgrowth of Mike not wanting to just explicitly, honestly explain how he feels about Trump. That interview he gave numerous months ago was exactly what I would expect, a kind of limp, passive implied non-endorsement endorsement:

One certain truth is Love’s allegiance to the Republican Party. The Beach Boys, who are set to perform in Central Park on Wednesday (sans Brian Wilson and Jardine), played inaugural balls for Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. Although Love stops short of a full endorsement, it’s clear that he feels love for Donald Trump.

“He’s been a friend for a long time,” says Love. “Does that mean I agree with everything he says? No. But . . . if we were asked [to play his inauguration], I’m sure that we would.”

If you look back, Mike has rarely explicitly, directly talked about hard politics. He has made one-off a-hole comments (e.g. saying the UN could go screw themselves when he played Sun City in 1981) and has said blandly generically (and sometimes hyperbolically) nice things about some people like the Reagans.

Ironically, one could argue that the two events Mike is playing are more undeniably "political" events, sponsored by Republican officials/organizations. While I don't buy that an actual DC inauguration day gig is not political, one could at least lamely attempt to make the argument that it's about the "office", blah blah blah. But in avoiding (for whatever reason) the actual day-of event in DC, Mike has played even more blatantly partisan events that serve little purpose outside of celebrating Trump, whereas he could have tried to lamely assert he was celebrating the "office" at the actual DC event.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2017, 07:41:51 AM »

It's even beyond the censoring of comments and censorship in general, there is almost a total blackout of information coming from those shows  from Mike's "official" outlets online. There are scattered social media posts here and there, newspaper articles that covered it, but it's like the curtain has been pulled shut, "nothing to see here, keep moving".

Meanwhile the 2012 C50 promotion was still up and running advertising Mike's upcoming gig in 2017. So it's not a case of being asleep at the wheel regarding online activities and social media, or sloppiness if posts to Mike's fan page are being that closely monitored and blocked.

In terms of arguments and defenses of anything related, it's not only the subject matter, but also when someone or anyone tries to whitewash or completely ignore what can be seen right in front of our eyes, if not outright lying and distorting the issues. Sure, some fans are liars with a proven history, we know that - But when it starts infecting "official" circles, as in those who charge themselves with an ownership of the facts and reporting them to the masses...that's not good. Not good at all. Yet it has been happening more publicly in recent times surrounding parts of this band.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:43:08 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2017, 07:50:05 AM »

Yeah, for all the deserved criticism "3 Doors Down" has received, at least they *owned* the fact that they were doing the gig and prominently advertised it. No unmentioned galas with jokes about Hillary Clinton fed to an audience of tuxedo-clad Republicans.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2017, 07:55:53 AM »

And to try to get into the psychology of it, I would imagine because guys like Mike and Bruce due to their privilege are already insulated from the vast majority of negative things that could come of any given political figure or administration, they already are predisposed to not see a divisive, controversial guy lacking temperament as *that big* of a deal.

When you add to that the fact that Mike has said he's been friends with Trump for a long time, it makes sense he'd not see any of this as a big deal.

What I'm curious about is the *obvious* tactic of avoiding mentioning these recent political gigs and *who* is making that decision. I'm curious if Mike actually does have someone working for him who is at least trying to put as much of a Band-Aid on this PR issue as they can, trying to placate Mike by finding ways to support Trump (which I personally believe Mike wants to do) without getting the full PR wrath that some other acts have deservedly received. So I could picture some sort of weird compromise. Don't play the main DC gig (which gets actual media coverage) and instead do a gala/ball or two (note that the Florida gig Mike already did *specifically* was closed off to the media), and not even mention that he's doing those gigs. That way, Mike gets his fix supporting Republicans and Trump, and it's at least not blasted literally on the front page of every huge media outlet.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2017, 07:59:05 AM »

Yeah, for all the deserved criticism "3 Doors Down" has received, at least they *owned* the fact that they were doing the gig and prominently advertised it. No unmentioned galas with jokes about Hillary Clinton fed to an audience of tuxedo-clad Republicans.

Nailed it - I was just going to use the word "owned" in a post too. I see no indications that Mike is either owning this decision to play, or that he/they want to own it. The decision was made, now it's time to own it, the good and the bad consequences whatever they may be. It's expected that pockets of fans and Mike's supporters will spin it anyway they need to, but when there is what looks like an official blackout of information from or about the events themselves, that's another level.

What about fans who would want to see some photos from the events, who just might want to see Mike and Bruce or whatever playing these shows on DC? The blackout makes no sense in that regard, and it does look like a case of Mike making the call but running as far away from owning it as he can.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »

I'm curious if Mike actually does have someone working for him who is at least trying to put as much of a Band-Aid on this PR issue as they can, trying to placate Mike by finding ways to support Trump (which I personally believe Mike wants to do) without getting the full PR wrath that some other acts have deservedly received. So I could picture some sort of weird compromise. Don't play the main DC gig (which gets actual media coverage) and instead do a gala/ball or two (note that the Florida gig Mike already did *specifically* was closed off to the media), and not even mention that he's doing those gigs. That way, Mike gets his fix supporting Republicans and Trump, and it's at least not blasted literally on the front page of every huge media outlet.

I think this is EXACTLY what's happening. On the nose.

Talk. About. Chickenshit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:43:19 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2017, 11:00:09 AM »

I feel like I just read a serial killer's manifesto.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:01:56 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »

Yeah, I threw up in my mouth a bit when I read that.

Note:the Democratic party is NOT the far left...more like centrists. As a true leftist, I shook my head in anger and annoyance after reading that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »

Yeah TRBB needs to relax a bit.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2017, 11:09:11 AM »

Rails against people pigeonholing. ..while pigeonholing.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »

Filleplage is going haywire! Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »

Filleplage is going haywire! Grin

How can you tell?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx