gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:36:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike is kind of playing the inauguration....  (Read 37407 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2017, 06:10:26 AM »

Mike and his band seem *so* into it that I'm now actually wondering if Mike really *did* unabashedly want to do the Trump gig too and wasn't able to get in there.

Mike should probably just go ahead and re-write "Summer in Paradise" to discuss how everything about global warming is a "hoax."

I've actually heard that in conjunction with these inauguration events, Mike is reissuing the "Summer in Paradise" album with new cover art:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2017, 06:16:35 AM »

Watch that video. Both of them.

Then tell us Mike isn't playing the inauguration.

Seriously, it's come to this point. It's an outright joke.

Just a bump of the actual video(s) if anyone wants to see this.

Good points HeyJude, and I think there is another element to this which is almost absurd: Why was there no so-called "official" announcement or word or even a listing of this Florida inaugural ball gig from Mike? Why hide the fact that they were playing this Florida gig, after the word according to the Washington Post among others, a similar Texas inaugural ball event tonight? Two inaugural shows, no word until the Palm Beach Post reports it and videos get posted of the gig?

Why hide it? Was there any word at all on Mike's various websites or even the Beach Boys websites? More from Bizarro World. The shows that are inaugural events but really aren't according to the spin, and the top secret unannounced inaugural ball event that no one knew about publicly until the day after.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:19:40 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2017, 06:29:05 AM »

Can anyone make out what Mike says after the surf medley, before introducing Surfer Girl around 11:30 into the video? I got this but there is one word that's garbled:

"oh wow, really nice to see you, we're so happy to be invited to celebrate. It's wild ( ? ) being able to perform for you basket of deplorables" Then he intros Surfer Girl.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:30:07 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2017, 06:43:16 AM »

Another article on the event:
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/gov-scott-throws-a-bash-in-washington/2310096

WASHINGTON - Hundreds of guests packed Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium tonight for Gov. Rick Scott's Florida Sunshine Ball, which featured a Beach Boys performance and kicked off a days long celebration for incoming President Donald Trump.
RELATED NEWS/ARCHIVE

"When Florida throws a party you have to show," said former U.S. Senate candidate Carlos Beruff.

Among those we saw in the crowd: U.S. Reps. Tom Rooney and Matt Gaetz, former Rep. Allen Boyd,  Blaise Ingoglia, Al Cardenas, Lew Oliver, Nick Diceglie, J.J. Beyrouti, Christian Ziegler, and Brian Ballard, who arrived in a Cadillac SUV with Joe Negron. Sen. Marco Rubio was apparently inside the room, which was lit up in neon.

The event was sponsored by Scott's political committee, Let's Get To Work.

So this ball was sponsored by Florida Gov. Rick Scott's "Let's Get To Work" political committee.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2017, 06:45:03 AM »

Can anyone make out what Mike says after the surf medley, before introducing Surfer Girl around 11:30 into the video? I got this but there is one word that's garbled:

"oh wow, really nice to see you, we're so happy to be invited to celebrate. It's wild ( ? ) being able to perform for you basket of deplorables" Then he intros Surfer Girl.

Sounds to me like "It's lovely being able" etc...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »

Hilariously, Mike not only has NOT mentioned this gig on his Facebook page, but today he posted a "Throwback Thursday" bit about the 1977 CBS Convention gig.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:08 AM »

And for the record, and there may even be some people disgusted by Mike's association here who won't agree with me on this point, I'd like to say from my perspective that all of the other guys in Mike's band come off poorly doing this sort of stuff too.

I don't know how feasible it is for any of these guys to have demurred on a gig like this. I get it, you gotta make a living and you gotta go where your boss tells you to go.

But just as I'm not willing to buy the lame argument that there is no connection between Mike and the politics of these events (and more specifically Trump), I'm not willing to completely set aside the backing guys being involved.

Some of these guys post online, and I would tend to think their contracts with Mike are not so draconian that they wouldn't be able to say "Hey, it's not my thing and I'd rather not be associated with it, but I'm part of the backing band so I'm always there", or something like that.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2017, 07:51:15 AM »

Hilariously, Mike not only has NOT mentioned this gig on his Facebook page, but today he posted a "Throwback Thursday" bit about the 1977 CBS Convention gig.

That goes back to my point about not getting a straight answer regarding any of this or much that is surrounding Mike in general: It only begs the questions why not get an honest and straight answer, and what are they trying to duck or avoid? It's one thing to have a group of historians, writers, online commentators and gadflies, self-ordained experts, and various pockets of fans carrying the torch and arguing against what is right in front of everyone's face (aka the facts)...but if these inaugural gigs were not a big deal, if they were not inaugural events as is being hilariously proposed among some in that cadre listed above, why the blackout on official word or even a single post about it via social media? If it truly is what is being argued, then why bring up a 1977 TBT gig instead of what's currently happening?

Bizarro World. With some willing accomplices it would seem.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »

In the past few months or so alone, tally up some of what has been offered. Just a few examples of this Bizarro World stuff.

Mike playing an inaugural event that is argued by some isn't really an inaugural event, even though it is reported as an inaugural event...and actually playing two of them before confirming even one of them.

A comment made on a radio/web interview suggesting Mike has nothing but kind words for his cousin, in the same year when multiple comments about "being controlled" and a suggestion Brian is kept drugged appeared in published interviews with Mike.

Another radio/web interview comment suggesting Brian is being kept away from his cousins such as Maureen Love, not a few weeks after a photo was published of Brian and Maureen meeting backstage at one of Brian's concerts. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

A Hollywood Christmas Parade TV broadcast featuring "The Beach Boys" performing "live", when it was really unaired/unused footage from the 2015 parade which they edited with host Dean Cain in front of a green-screen holding up Mike's book in 2016.

When the rumors began about playing the DC inaugural events, various insiders were originally saying Mike had other shows booked that week which would make playing an inaugural event in DC an impossibility. So much for "it's all about the facts", unless the inside info was as flawed as previous examples of such inside info turned out to be.

The white whale of a suggestion - published and put on TV news Jan 17th this week - that Mike is "open" to working with Brian again, if only conditions were right, if only the various external forces would be removed and that room with a piano would appear for songwriting...etc. Why this week, of all weeks, with that?

Promotional material from C50 in 2012 shows up to advertise tickets for a concert in 2017...

Anyway...that's some of Bizarro World for 'ya.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2017, 08:37:54 AM »

Watch that video. Both of them.

Then tell us Mike isn't playing the inauguration.

Seriously, it's come to this point. It's an outright joke.

It just figures that the Facebook video was filmed vertically too.  The unfortunate ignorance of both the audience members and the people onstage just reveals itself in so many ways.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:44:09 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »

Hopefully the Texas gig will be the end of the  "deplorable tour" of Trump related events. 

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2017, 09:07:32 AM »

Mike and his band seem *so* into it that I'm now actually wondering if Mike really *did* unabashedly want to do the Trump gig too and wasn't able to get in there.

Mike should probably just go ahead and re-write "Summer in Paradise" to discuss how everything about global warming is a "hoax."

I've actually heard that in conjunction with these inauguration events, Mike is reissuing the "Summer in Paradise" album with new cover art:

Don't Go Near the Watered-Down Version of a Once Great Band
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2017, 10:52:59 AM »

whoever's running Mike's fb page has also censored comments/visitor posts asking about the Texas inauguration ball & sharing the news link. Angry

eta: don't know if it's a facebook glitch (other pages seem ok) but I now seem to be blocked from liking or posting on his page.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:01:45 AM by wild neon sins » Logged

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »

whoever's running Mike's fb page has also censored comments/visitor posts asking about the Texas inauguration ball & sharing the news link. Angry

CABINESSENCENSORSHIP
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:10:54 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »

^ yeah that basically  LOL

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »

eta: don't know if it's a facebook glitch (other pages seem ok) but I now seem to be blocked from liking or posting on his page.

Back to my comments above: The questions now include why they did that. Censoring fan posts about a gig or gigs that according to various people talking about them were "no big deal", unless it was a glitch on FB including blocking posters who were sharing articles or discussing them...all I can say is "well, there 'ya have it."

I can also say had certain parties gotten their way and succeeded about a year or so ago, this forum would have turned into the same kind of deal. Thank f*** it didn't.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »

Don't Go Near the Watered-Down Version of a Once Great Band

+10

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2017, 02:24:50 PM »

In the past few months or so alone, tally up some of what has been offered. Just a few examples of this Bizarro World stuff.

Mike playing an inaugural event that is argued by some isn't really an inaugural event, even though it is reported as an inaugural event...and actually playing two of them before confirming even one of them.

A comment made on a radio/web interview suggesting Mike has nothing but kind words for his cousin, in the same year when multiple comments about "being controlled" and a suggestion Brian is kept drugged appeared in published interviews with Mike.

Another radio/web interview comment suggesting Brian is being kept away from his cousins such as Maureen Love, not a few weeks after a photo was published of Brian and Maureen meeting backstage at one of Brian's concerts. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

A Hollywood Christmas Parade TV broadcast featuring "The Beach Boys" performing "live", when it was really unaired/unused footage from the 2015 parade which they edited with host Dean Cain in front of a green-screen holding up Mike's book in 2016.

When the rumors began about playing the DC inaugural events, various insiders were originally saying Mike had other shows booked that week which would make playing an inaugural event in DC an impossibility. So much for "it's all about the facts", unless the inside info was as flawed as previous examples of such inside info turned out to be.

The white whale of a suggestion - published and put on TV news Jan 17th this week - that Mike is "open" to working with Brian again, if only conditions were right, if only the various external forces would be removed and that room with a piano would appear for songwriting...etc. Why this week, of all weeks, with that?

Promotional material from C50 in 2012 shows up to advertise tickets for a concert in 2017...

The term "Gaslighting" keeps reappearing these days. ;-)  I have a plan for tomorrow's Bizarro World 1-20-17:  Matt Taibbi's Official Donald Trump Inauguration Drinking Game https://t.co/2rHPUPkDsw via @RollingStone  I read a NYT article about a woman driving from MA to DC with a life-size cut-out of Trump.  I'll bet she knows where the Lovester's band will appear.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »

Maybe the footage of the group performing at an inaugural ball was just unused footage from Obama’s last inauguration.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »

The latest news regarding why some artists *did* and some artists *didn't* get picked... Kanye West (who I'm certainly no fan of, but that fact is irrelevant) was "Not Invited to Perform at Trump Inauguration Because It's a 'Typically and Traditionally American' Event", per a spokesperson for president-elect Donald Trump's inauguration committee.

www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/7661885/kanye-west-not-invited-to-perform-at-trump-inauguration-because-traditionally-american-event

This, despite this inconvenient other tidbit:

"Among the latest bookings for the "traditionally American event" is Irish dancer Michael Flatley, who will reportedly hoof it at Friday night's Liberty Ball."

So yeah, the totally-not-racist-at-all Trump administration and the people they surround themselves with made the the totally-not-racist-at-all decision to NOT even ask one of the biggest potential musical names that could - and most likely would - potentially have performed.

Ladies and gentlemen, yet another embarrassingly totally-not-racist-at-all thing that The Beach Boys brand name is now unfortunately associated with. How someone is supposed to look at this and *not* make any racist associations with this administration (or at least not say that this administration is coddling/placating the many - though certainly not all - racists who are supporters and will be inauguration attendees) is mighty difficult. To think that Mike wants to be known as a rare fringe musician who agreed to be associated with this garbage is most unfortunate.

Are rappers, who tend to most commonly persons of color, supposed to now feel *anything else* other than "this administration believes rap music, which now has been part of American culture for decades, is not 'Traditionally American'", while an Irish dancer gets the thumbs up? Is it some giant leap for them to feel like they, or the music they hold dear, now hold second-class status? Particularly in an event like this, where Trump looked FAR AND WIDE to find big names, and Kanye happened to be perhaps the biggest name musician to publicly support him.

I guess this means no Wipeout with The Fat Boys in the set for Mike tonight. Too black.

It's all so pathetic to think that people will bend themselves into pretzels to defend this, or at minimum downplay the toxicity of how this decision might make people of color feel. I would love to know how someone who defends this garbage would say a black person *should* feel about this.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:56:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »

Since it's a "traditionally American event", no chance of the future First "Lady" appearing, right? Oh wait, she's the "correct" skin color, so that will be overlooked.

And THIS is what the brand is being associated with. THIS is why I was called a racist the other day on another forum when I mentioned I was a Beach Boys fan.

Cue typical right-wing excuses in 3...2...1...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:17:07 PM by ♩♬☮ Dude Where's My Frog?! ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2017, 06:16:38 PM »

I would love to know how someone who defends this garbage would say a black person *should* feel about this.

About the same as a Latino who sees that for the first time in over 3 decades there is not even one person in trump's 'cabinet' to represent their sizeable community.  Not a one.  But heh!!!

At least with the change in global weather...we don't have to worry about Hell freezing over.  What change?  Ask Houston.  Tomorrow freedom, as we knew it, will really begin to erode and disappear.  It was great while it lasted.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »

Maybe the footage of the group performing at an inaugural ball was just unused footage from Obama’s last inauguration.

Then that was a CGI image of Foskett.  Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »

The term "Gaslighting" keeps reappearing these days. ;-)  I have a plan for tomorrow's Bizarro World 1-20-17:  Matt Taibbi's Official Donald Trump Inauguration Drinking Game https://t.co/2rHPUPkDsw via @RollingStone  I read a NYT article about a woman driving from MA to DC with a life-size cut-out of Trump.  I'll bet she knows where the Lovester's band will appear.

Point by point, that is just a surface level view of Bizarro World above, sadly relative only to the state of the "Beach Boys" in 2017. The concept of a straightforward, honest answer just isn't even in the same stratosphere as some of the people living in and supporting Bizarro World. Lies, distortions, denials, outright whitewashing of the "facts" that so many frauds seem to try claiming authority over. When an inaugural event, listed as and reported as an inaugural event, is argued by some that it really isn't an inaugural event, I'd say that's a pretty sad state of affairs but it falls in line with a lot these days surrounding the band and their torch bearers.

Sad. If I had to drink every time a straightforward answer were given in these situations, my glass would be bone dry.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:03:48 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »

Why wouldn't Mike continue his weird set of mind games? I mean, really now. It's just like any other form of disinformation.

What we would need is confirmation from Brian that he, in fact, made any kind of overture corresponding to what was announced.

That's something we haven't seen as yet. And if we don't get it, then we know that it was another Lovester ploy.

I ain't holding my breath.

What we know about the USA right now is that the gloves are coming off. We are lucky to have removed from our bandwidth some folks who recently have demonstrated their true colors--and reading what they write over at that pale imitation of SS would be downright sickening if there weren't far more important things to do...such as stick up for multi-racial cooperation and social integration a la the example set by Carl Wilson in 1972 when he added two black South Africans to the Beach Boys.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx