gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:24:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike is kind of playing the inauguration....  (Read 37547 times)
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »

From what I have read on this article is that the event has more to do with Texas than it has to so specifically with Trump.

I dont see this as a big deal. It definitely is different than if they were playing the inauguration........which I wouldn't have an issue with since the inauguration is more about the process of the peaceful transfer of power than the person.

Unfortunately the process has gotten very politicized, but we are at where we are at.   
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »

And see, by doing it like this, he's supporting Trump but less overtly. Clever.
I think they will actually play the main event too  Sad
Especially since the Bruce Springsteen cover band that was set to perform backed out.

So a Springsteen cover band backs out, and a Beach Boys cover band steps in.....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »

Maybe they can get the Rutles to play.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:29 PM »

Maybe somebody from Ted Nugent's harem.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »

This has nothing to do with Trump.  It's for people from Texas living in DC and it happens every four years.  But continue on with your misplaced outrage.
I'm a little lost as to how an event that celebrates the inauguration has nothing to do with the person being inaugurated.  It's not like this is a party that's thrown every four years that just happens to line up with the Presidential inauguration. It's an inaugural ball for President Trump.

They have this ball every four years regardless of who is president. 

But the event is meant to coincide with the inauguration. To suggest the event has nothing to do with Trump is laughable. That the event exists is not due to Trump. But it certainly has to do with Trump, and indeed the article in the top post describes how the event's attendance spikes when Republicans are being inaugurated. It's Texas, so duh, of course that would be the case.

I would never argue that a 2012 inaugural event in California had "nothing to do" with Obama.

You pretty much made my point for me.  It would be one thing if the ball existed solely for Trump, but it doesn't.  That's where I see the difference.

I guess the difference is that I don't give celebrations, offices, and titles any automatic respect. They're just things to me. My respect is instead contingent on the person who receives them. If Bill Cosby was being given the lifetime achievement award at the Oscars this year, I would support a boycott of the Oscars as well as whoever chose to host it. The fact that they give the award out every year doesn't change that each recipient has to earn our respect on their own, they don't simply inherit the respect that previous recipients were held in.

The same with this ball. Just because it's been a celebration of respectable people in inauguration's past it doesn't mean it always will be. To me, this time it is not, and to the best of my ability, I won't support those who participate in that honoring as a means of peaceful protest.

Those named Wilson or Jardine had nothing to do with this - It's the backlash against their music and legacy that concerned me from day 1, and I hate to see boycotts affecting people who had f***-all to do with this decision.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2017, 08:26:13 PM »

I'm surprised Ted isn't playing, actually.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »

Especially since the Bruce Springsteen cover band that was set to perform backed out.

So a Springsteen cover band backs out, and a Beach Boys cover band steps in.....

Post of the year LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2017, 08:38:38 PM »

I'm surprised Ted isn't playing, actually.

I guess the gala ball attendees won't be hearing "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" unless they get a Nugent tribute band to do it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »

Ted Nugent and "gala ball" in the same sentence makes me giggle. Just sounds wrong.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2017, 09:00:09 PM »

this ball does take place in DC and will most definitely be a pro-Trump affair, unfortunately.

why on earth the Beach Boys would headline a ball celebrating "all things Texas" makes little sense but wtf ever 
we all knew Mike couldn't stay away from this

still, how utterly disappointing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »

Maybe we'll get a live Beach Boys cover of the Poontang song out of the deal if Nugent isn't going to play it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:10 PM »

Or Bruce and Mike will be trying to get poontang after the show. Should be plenty of blue hairs in attendance.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »

Mike is probably already having his ten-gallon hat steamed, blocked, and the "Beach Boys 50th" logo applied to the front for the event.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2017, 09:30:35 PM »

This has nothing to do with Trump.  It's for people from Texas living in DC and it happens every four years.  But continue on with your misplaced outrage.
I'm a little lost as to how an event that celebrates the inauguration has nothing to do with the person being inaugurated.  It's not like this is a party that's thrown every four years that just happens to line up with the Presidential inauguration. It's an inaugural ball for President Trump.

They have this ball every four years regardless of who is president. 

But the event is meant to coincide with the inauguration. To suggest the event has nothing to do with Trump is laughable. That the event exists is not due to Trump. But it certainly has to do with Trump, and indeed the article in the top post describes how the event's attendance spikes when Republicans are being inaugurated. It's Texas, so duh, of course that would be the case.

I would never argue that a 2012 inaugural event in California had "nothing to do" with Obama.

You pretty much made my point for me.  It would be one thing if the ball existed solely for Trump, but it doesn't.  That's where I see the difference.

Sounds more like you just have an arbitrary definition of something having "nothing to do" with something else.

Not sure how my point about Obama/California makes *your* point.

Further, we've established Mike and Bruce tend to be buddies with conservatives, and Mike is buddies with Trump. It's not some crazy conspiracy to associate this gig with Trump. Those connections are surely part of why Mike would take the gig.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:12 PM »

I see a "Grab Them By the P*ssy" tattoo in The BBs logo font on some Trump supporters arms in the near future.

This is sick and extraordinarily regrettable.

I imagine this will put all sorts of other ugly things like the crass South Africa '81 comment under the microscope via major media in the near future. All just more damage to Mike and the brand.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »

I got accused of being a racist since I'm a BB fan. f*** this sh*t.

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »

Awesome glad Mike/The Beach Boys could get associated with the inauguration somehow! Will want to see that for sure!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2017, 11:17:07 PM »

They weren't playing the actual inauguration concert, just a New Jersey run gala in DC.

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2017, 11:44:12 PM »

This has just happened?
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2017, 03:59:22 AM »

I am not even American and up to now have kept put on this matter, but this is too much. Whom do you believe you are kidding? This is treating us as idiots.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:23:58 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2017, 04:40:27 AM »

Then that is ignorance on the part of the accuser.  I wouldn't play a Trump event either, but some people are becoming hysterical.
KDS
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2017, 05:26:58 AM »

Then that is ignorance on the part of the accuser.  I wouldn't play a Trump event either, but some people are becoming hysterical.

I've been called racist because I don't like rap.  People say dumb things. 
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2017, 05:54:38 AM »

People say dumb things. 

They sure do.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2017, 06:07:02 AM »

The announcement to play a gig can't even be a straightforward one. Everything surrounding this band anymore has to read like a legal document, parsing words, asterisks, "yeah...but" rebuttals. Even this, it's an inaugural celebratory event. It's politically loaded. That's how these things are. Yet the decision to play, now we have "yeah, but it's not this or that, it's independent this or that, it's not the REAL inauguration ball..." Oh, please. Keep it in the conference room, just be straight up about something for once.

Yeah, even the decision to play this week gets run through the usual ringer of parsing words, asterisks, and any attempt to avoid giving a straightforward, honest, basic answer. The band is playing the inauguration. That's it. Now they have to deal with whatever happens.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx