gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:53:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike is kind of playing the inauguration....  (Read 37403 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »

This has nothing to do with Trump.  It's for people from Texas living in DC and it happens every four years.  But continue on with your misplaced outrage.
I'm a little lost as to how an event that celebrates the inauguration has nothing to do with the person being inaugurated.  It's not like this is a party that's thrown every four years that just happens to line up with the Presidential inauguration. It's an inaugural ball for President Trump.

They have this ball every four years regardless of who is president. 
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »

This has nothing to do with Trump.  It's for people from Texas living in DC and it happens every four years.  But continue on with your misplaced outrage.
I'm a little lost as to how an event that celebrates the inauguration has nothing to do with the person being inaugurated.  It's not like this is a party that's thrown every four years that just happens to line up with the Presidential inauguration. It's an inaugural ball for President Trump.

Right. The issue isn't that a group that throws inauguration balls is throwing an inauguration ball, though it would be great if they skipped this one, the issue is that "The Beach Boys" are playing the one that specifically celebrates the 2017 inauguration for Donald Trump. And I'm not outraged, I'm calmly boycotting my favorite band based on the choice they have made to celebrate Donald Trump's inauguration.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 04:44:34 PM »

So Mike and the little touring band are doing a concert the night before the big day?

A few weeks ago TheBeachBoys.com listed the band as performing at the Fayettville, North Carolina Crown Theatre on January 20. But tickets never went on sale and the concert was cancelled, leaving the evening wide open for a performance at the inauguration.
- Custom Machine

I could totally be mistaken, but I can't see Mike cancelling a concert in Fayetteville just because the night prior he is doing the Texas State Society’s “Black Tie and Boots” inaugural ball one state away.

He could definitely still use the "Beach Boys" to perform on inauguration day, perhaps he's just keeping it a secret until the last minute to keep controversy to a minimum.

edit: the ball is taking place in Texas, so I'm mistaken about it being one state away from NC.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:55:31 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »

Obama should resign tomorrow and let Joe Biden be President for a day just to mess up Trump's merchandise.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »

But the event is meant to coincide with the inauguration. To suggest the event has nothing to do with Trump is laughable. That the event exists is not due to Trump. But it certainly has to do with Trump, and indeed the article in the top post describes how the event's attendance spikes when Republicans are being inaugurated. It's Texas, so duh, of course that would be the case.

I would never argue that a 2012 inaugural event in California had "nothing to do" with Obama.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »

Right. The issue isn't that a group that throws inauguration balls is throwing an inauguration ball, though it would be great if they skipped this one, the issue is that "The Beach Boys" are playing the one that specifically celebrates the 2017 inauguration for Donald Trump. And I'm not outraged, I'm calmly boycotting my favorite band based on the choice they have made to celebrate Donald Trump's inauguration.

It's a shame that Mike didn't really make any headway on his own. Whereas if he had had a couple more (or rather: ANY) solo hits people could just boycott that music in protest of Mike's inauguration decision instead of lugging together Al, Brian, Carl, Dennis, Blondie, and Ricky together in that boycott. Not saying you are, doinnothing, but others have talked about boycotting the entire catalog if this goes through.

I don't see the point in punishing Brian's musical output solely because Mike wants to wow the President Elect with how long he can weeze "wheeeeeeen" into a microphone.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »

Good, I think it is wonderful that he is "kind of playing the inauguration".  Sort of like how Obama kind of played being the president.....but mostly just played around and vacationed on our tax dollars.

Wow, I've never heard such a complaint about a president before.....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 04:55:37 PM »

Sorry, but I don't see it that way.  It's especially a shame that you are boycotting Brian and Al.  You don't know that they had any power to stop this.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »

It's a shame that Mike didn't really make any headway on his own. Whereas if he had had a couple more (or rather: ANY) solo hits people could just boycott that music in protest of Mike's inauguration decision instead of lugging together Al, Brian, Carl, Dennis, Blondie, and Ricky together in that boycott. Not saying you are, doinnothing, but others have talked about boycotting the entire catalog if this goes through.

I don't see the point in punishing Brian's musical output solely because Mike wants to wow the President Elect with how long he can weeze "wheeeeeeen" into a microphone.

If Mike had gone out on his own and recorded and toured exclusively in a solo format, I think a lot of things would be easier from the fan perspective.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »

But the event is meant to coincide with the inauguration. To suggest the event has nothing to do with Trump is laughable. That the event exists is not due to Trump. But it certainly has to do with Trump, and indeed the article in the top post describes how the event's attendance spikes when Republicans are being inaugurated. It's Texas, so duh, of course that would be the case.

I would never argue that a 2012 inaugural event in California had "nothing to do" with Obama.

You pretty much made my point for me.  It would be one thing if the ball existed solely for Trump, but it doesn't.  That's where I see the difference.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »

If Mike had gone out on his own and recorded and toured exclusively in a solo format, I think a lot of things would be easier from the fan perspective.

Does Mike get money when Brian tours and performs songs Mike cowrote?  Or no just because it's not under the brand name?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »

Good, I think it is wonderful that he is "kind of playing the inauguration".  Sort of like how Obama kind of played being the president.....but mostly just played around and vacationed on our tax dollars.

Sandbox.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 05:27:02 PM »

Why didn't Mike and Bruce play the Texas ball in 2008 or 2012 if it is "non-partisan"? Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »

Why didn't Mike and Bruce play the Texas ball in 2008 or 2012 if it is "non-partisan"? Roll Eyes

They weren't invited maybe? Remember, Bruce publicly called Obama an a$$hole in 2012.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »

They weren't invited maybe? Remember, Bruce publicly called Obama an a$$hole in 2012.

Are you referring to that the TMZ video where he said that to a fan? I also heard him randomly start talking similar stuff about Obama backstage before a show in 2012 myself; seemingly unprompted, he *really* seemed into the idea of turning random everyday conversation into anti-Obama tirades. Not that I don't have my own issues with Obama (probably different issues than Bruce), but not really surprised considering the mega billionaire company that he and his family keeps (his son as I recall was almost engaged to the daughter of one of the richest tycoons in the world).

I imagine Mike and Bruce get along well due to their seemingly similar political views. Rich old white man bubble much? I want to know where Bruce's musical creativity went since then.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:08:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »

Does Mike get money when Brian tours and performs songs Mike cowrote?  Or no just because it's not under the brand name?

He would get the standard live performance royalty that everyone is supposed to get. But Mike is not taking an actual cut of Brian's touring income, as Brian indeed tours under his own name.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05:55 PM »

Are you referring to that the TMZ video where he said that to a fan? I also heard him randomly start talking similar stuff about Obama backstage before a show in 2012 myself; seemingly unprompted, he *really* seemed into the idea of turning random everyday conversation into anti-Obama tirades. I'm not surprised considering the mega billionaire company that his family keeps (his son as I recall was almost engaged to the daughter of one of the richest tycoons in the world). I imagine Mike and Bruce get along well due to their seemingly similar political views. Rich old white man bubble much?

Ironically, Bruce is probably more hardcore conservative than even Mike.

He's also maybe the weirdest out of all of these guys, and that's saying something

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »

I hope no one commits suicide over this news.

What kind of comment was that?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »

Are you referring to that the TMZ video where he said that to a fan? I also heard him randomly start talking similar stuff about Obama backstage before a show in 2012 myself; seemingly unprompted, he *really* seemed into the idea of turning random everyday conversation into anti-Obama tirades. I'm not surprised considering the mega billionaire company that his family keeps (his son as I recall was almost engaged to the daughter of one of the richest tycoons in the world). I imagine Mike and Bruce get along well due to their seemingly similar political views. Rich old white man bubble much?

Ironically, Bruce is probably more hardcore conservative than even Mike.

He's also maybe the weirdest out of all of these guys, and that's saying something

I agree. Like I said, it was a really odd context that I witnessed Bruce start going off on Obama. It was like he was waiting for the first moment he could to start talking about how much Obama sucks, seemingly out of context. He probably randomly turns conversations into anti-liberal tirades as quickly as I turn everyday conversations with non-hardcore-BB fans into Beach Boys-related topics. I'm guessing he does that more than Mike does, or at least is more open about it when there are people other than his rich golf buddies around.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:34:51 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 06:29:04 PM »

I'm a little lost as to how an event that celebrates the inauguration has nothing to do with the person being inaugurated.  It's not like this is a party that's thrown every four years that just happens to line up with the Presidential inauguration. It's an inaugural ball for President Trump.

I am boycotting "The Beach Boys" and the catalog as they are the entity that is playing the inauguration ball. More than ever, I wish they hadn't setup the touring license to allow something like this, but they did, and I'm very bummed about it. There is no way for me to financially support "The Beach Boys" without some of that money going to Mike, and since Brian benefits from whatever fee "The Beach Boys" receive for playing at this celebration for Donald Trump's inauguration based on the license agreement he made, I have no real reason to try to twist my logic to do so. I hope the others come out and get vocal that they have tried to stop it to the best of their ability and that they will not keep any gains from it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:52:11 PM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »

You pretty much made my point for me.  It would be one thing if the ball existed solely for Trump, but it doesn't.  That's where I see the difference.

I guess the difference is that I don't give celebrations, offices, and titles any automatic respect. They're just things to me. My respect is instead contingent on the person who receives them. If Bill Cosby was being given the lifetime achievement award at the Oscars this year, I would support a boycott of the Oscars as well as whoever chose to host it. The fact that they give the award out every year doesn't change that each recipient has to earn our respect on their own, they don't simply inherit the respect that previous recipients were held in.

The same with this ball. Just because it's been a celebration of respectable people in inauguration's past it doesn't mean it always will be. To me, this time it is not, and to the best of my ability, I won't support those who participate in that honoring as a means of peaceful protest.

Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 07:25:26 PM »

I hope no one commits suicide over this news.

What kind of comment was that?

It's an attempt at some levity.  I think the whole situation has gotten way too overblown.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »

Grin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:27:03 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »

Ok...no problem. I took it the wrong way initially...my apologies!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx