gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:15:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caroline No. A new Pet Sounds musical?  (Read 4046 times)
westwoodnick
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:44:24 PM »

Dear all message boarders!

My name is Nick Westwood, founder and President of FATCAT productions UK, and i am posting here to ask the fans opinion on the production of a new and very exciting adaptation of the music of Pet Sounds into a dramatic stage musical following this, the greatest story book album ever made. semi biographical of brian and his brothers, it charts the lives of young men and women in sixties America, dealing with new found liberties and freedom whilst still hanging on to the innocence and oppression of the past.

Charlie our lead, is a young man who has fled to California to avoid his father's mssion to join up. On his arrival he meets and befriends Caroline, a wild spirited girl disillussioned by her boyfriend Dennis's friends and lifestyle. Finding common ground the two discover a new kind of love together. Learning from his mistakes and the respect Charlie gives Caroline Dennis seeks to win her back, opening up his heart in a way someone like he never thought possible, in the form of God Only Knows. The story is a discussion of appearance versus reality, much like the 60's was, liberational on the surface yet inherantly oppressive underneath. The second half of the musical sees Charlie deteriorate as all his best efforts cannot win Caroline back. Beseiged by demons, and riddled with insecurity Charlie's only way out appears to be to confront dennis once and for all. As Caroline finds Charlie in the finale, he hysterically sings 'I'm waiting for the day', the lyric 'you didn't think, that i would let you go, you didn't think that i would let him take you?', leading Caroline to end her life in despair for her love, only for us to find Dennis is alive.

It is an exploration of love good and bad, of how the album can be read positively and negatively, but above all about burning passion, ending on devastation, but symbolising far much more.

Sticking wholeheartedly to the original music and using session recordings, this is a plot driven by the music, a soundtrack to a piece of theatre in the same way as it has so often been used on film.

So what do the fans think? is this heresy? or is it just another chapter, another facet to the depth of this great composition?

Please, let me know, the piece has much support, but its you the fans i find needing convincing.

please feel free to contact me at westwoodnick@hotmail.co.uk privately.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:01:17 PM by westwoodnick » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »

Just checking the calendar...

Nope, it is July 31st.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 03:22:55 PM »

http://www.fatcatproductions.org.uk/index.html

Perhaps Nick is in possession of one of the 5 legendary CDRs of "Roxy" burned by Capitol Records?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
westwoodnick
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:30:40 PM »

Unfortunately not, and unfortunately not the same FatCat as your attached link suggests. We are an arm working with a number of producers of big west end shows, this project has the backing of a 30 piece orchestra, a number of luminaries from the theatre world, and also the contact of Capitol Records and brianwilson.com over developments in the script and concept.

But we just want to hear your opinions, so please do not hold back!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:51:38 PM »

Any idea when you are going to take this much supported piece on the road?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
westwoodnick
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 03:57:15 PM »

Currently the musical is pencilled for summer dates 2007, stretching across the South of the UK. There are currently discussions taking place in trying to make it one of the flagship performances in the theatre area of the Glastonbury Music Festival next summer also. We hope then to travel to Edinburgh Festival in August of next year, and then will be assessed for script alterations for possible incumbency in a London theatre
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 05:17:27 PM »

Your libretto suggests the mid-60s work of the Rolling Stones would suit the intensity of the dramatics better ("Paint It Black", "Have You Seen Your Mother?", "Under My Thumb", perhaps?). The high "Romeo & Juliet" drama ending in suicide sounds a little heavy for the wistful melancholia that is the "Pet Sounds" album. Are we to assume Dennis' character is inspired by Dennis Wilson? Why else name one of the three leads after a member of the Beach Boys? Is he supposed to be killed by "Charlie", but we later learn he is alive after Caroline's suicide? Personally, I would prefer something with more subtlety.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:03:25 PM »

Blah, everyone makes musicals out of pop songs now, geeze, are there no composers anymore?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 08:11:37 PM »

I'm still waiting for "Lazy Lizzie"-the laser light show.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 12:08:33 AM »

Yeah why not? I think it would be fascinating to hear the album in this dramatic and visual context. In honesty, I'd probably wait for reviews before I considered seeing the musical, as theatre isn't necessarily my bag, but I don't think it's heresy to treat the album in this way - just interesting to explore another dimension of it.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:22:30 AM »

I love musicals, but jukebox musicals usually don't work.  And besides, this possible musical sounds fake.  Why use the names Charlie and Dennis?  It obviously brings to mind Charles Manson and Dennis Wilson, which is not a good association.  And what kind of musical uses canned music?  Usually musicals have the actors singing their songs.  If this is for real, good luck.  But it doesn't sound like something I'd rush out to see unless it were really cheap.  I'd have to think long and hard about paying Broadway prices for a show like this.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 12:52:27 PM »

And what kind of "founder and President" writes so poorly? And why is the "founder and President" doing the public relations rounds? Now that I think about this, it's utter bull.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
westwoodnick
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »

I have to say i didn't post on this website to ask your personal feelings about my formal writing, i did it to try and ask the opinions good or bad of the fans for which we are grateful. some of the comments made leave a little to be desired regarding how much these fans are actually finding within the music of Pet Sounds. If we are truly fans of what is arguably the greatest album in the history of the world then we'd be like minded enough to respect people's postings. I'm very grateful to those of you who have answered my posting responsibly with both bad and good comments. Those of you who haven't should realise this is a facility so people can discuss a groups beautiful work, rather than sitting in all night to see who you can castegate irresponsibly

regards
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 02:43:06 PM »

I have to say i didn't post on this website to ask your personal feelings about my formal writing, i did it to try and ask the opinions good or bad of the fans for which we are grateful. some of the comments made leave a little to be desired regarding how much these fans are actually finding within the music of Pet Sounds. If we are truly fans of what is arguably the greatest album in the history of the world then we'd be like minded enough to respect people's postings. I'm very grateful to those of you who have answered my posting responsibly with both bad and good comments. Those of you who haven't should realise this is a facility so people can discuss a groups beautiful work, rather than sitting in all night to see who you can castegate irresponsibly

regards

I fully support your musical sir, and please do not be offended by some of these peoples comments.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
westwoodnick
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 02:46:26 PM »

Thank you very much my friend. I trust in this process an will continue to post developments

cheers again
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 01:45:49 PM »

If we are truly fans of what is arguably the greatest album in the history of the world then we'd be like minded enough to respect people's postings.

I don't think one guarantees the other.  Utter assholes are capable of appreciating great art while remaining utter assholes.

And i'm not saying that those here whose comments you condemn are assholes, just that their love of the album does not necessarily equate to patterns of behaviour that you seem to expect.

As for the project itself, i confess to sharing the same doubts that have been expressed above.  I think you will have a very difficult sell amongst Beach Boys fans, and amongst theatre-goers in general, for all of the reasons stated.  I would add that the recent flop on Broadway, Good Vibrations, the musical [which i loved, btw!] was not received warmly by either fans or critics.  BB fans tend to be a very difficult and picky audience.

Nevertheless, i wish you good luck with your project, and i hope you prove us all wrong!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 01:35:13 PM »

I don't think we need the greatest album ever made turned into a really gay musical. Stay away from Pet Sounds. I think the Beach Boys legacy has been butchered enough, and besides they already did a Broadway musical using the Beach Boys songs called 'Good Vibrations.' It sucked.

DEATH TO THEATER!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:38:53 PM by Mickey Mouse » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 04:03:30 PM »

I don't think we need the greatest album ever made turned into a really gay musical. Stay away from Pet Sounds. I think the Beach Boys legacy has been butchered enough, and besides they already did a Broadway musical using the Beach Boys songs called 'Good Vibrations.' It sucked.

DEATH TO THEATER!

Man, you are a downer. The guy has approached this board in good faith seeking some constructive feedback and all you can come up with is 'gay musical'. If it's a flop then so be it, Pet Sounds isn't going to suffer. What I do know is that when somebody has a creative idea the last thing they need is small minded criticism from the offset. Perhaps you are the Mike Love of Gay Musicals?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 04:06:43 PM »

DEATH TO THEATER!

Ur a dick sometimes

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 06:33:25 PM »

I don't think Pet Sounds should be exploited in this way. And besides that's what I think.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 06:34:23 PM »

Perhaps you are the Mike Love of Gay Musicals?

?

LOL

Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 07:28:23 PM »

In general, I think musicals based on popular music feels forced and are a silly watch. The more I respect and highly regard a certain piece of music, the more I will prefer to not have it performed as a musical. Abba works very well, since the songs are all hits, fun and made for the masses.
Of course, I love Abba and respect the music, but it has qualities fit for musicals and entertainment and so it works.

Petsounds is a very emotional, and in a musical way, advanced piece of art. While it has some hits, I strongly believe it will have a hard time finding a audience that will appreciate it. The casual beachboys fans won't recognice and appreciate the songs, and the mote hardcore fans(like the people at the board),  will cringe watching the musical. Setting the emotions from petsounds to something concrete and made up, not originated from Brians Wilsons head, degenerates it, just like a book in general is better than a movie remake.

The idea of singing out your feelings for situations made to the songs from Petsounds is cringe material.

Just my bag of cents. But good luck anyway!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:29:20 PM by Rockard » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx