gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:03:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys Song Would Be A Hit If Updated?  (Read 6442 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »

Foo Fighters "Sound of Free" would be a hit!  In addition to the car and surf songs my band covered the following songs live:

It's About Time
Sound of Free
Breakaway
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B

The Foos or Green Day or someone similar could make those 'hits'.  River Song would be another.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:33:13 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »

I've been thinking about all the BB covers I've heard, and really the only one I can stomach is She and Him's cover of "God Only Knows." And even with that one, I still wish I was hearing the original.  

Yeah I don't think I've ever heard a good Beach Boys cover besides this guys 'Caroline, No'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_6bpunKQA4
But it's not like he sings or anything

I really like They Might Be Giants' version of "Caroline No". I was very impressed with that cover

don't recall any other BB cover that I like as much though, although "Little Pad" from one of those tribute albums I thought was interesting. Forgot what the band was that did it though. I think its on "Smiling Pets"
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »

Foo Fighters "Sound of Free" would be a hit!  In addition to the car and surf songs my band covered the following songs live:

It's About Time
Sound of Free
Breakaway
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B

The Foos or Green Day or someone similar could make those 'hits'.  River Song would be another.

River Song and Forever are dying to be "hits".. Its a shame they never got the wide recognition they deserve (other than Uncle Jesse 30 years ago with "Forever")
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »

Kanye West could do 'I Only Know' with Kim Kardashian's buttcheeks doing the background vocals and it'd be a smash

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »

Not a hit and not new but my favorite cover was Frank Black "Hang on to Your Ego"
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 02:50:04 AM »

Not a hit and not new but my favorite cover was Frank Black "Hang on to Your Ego"

Great cover.  I always love figuring out which of the alternative/punk musicians that I loved in my youth, were deep Brian Wilson fans.  Sometimes you can go back and listen to their early work and it becomes obvious.  Matthew Sweet was one of those for me.
https://youtu.be/gCiMN88JY1g
https://youtu.be/AZ9RQJ26E7w
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »

Yes, Frank was moving in the right direction--punkier and more rocked out. "Mess of Help" could be brought right into such a region--Michael Carpenter shows some flashes of it in his cover from awhile back. It's how to handle the fact that the track has the extra riff section in front of the middle-8 that would keep it from registering with audiences that need to hear the chorus more often these days. That extra meander is one of the things that got in the way of the song back in the day, in addition to not enough punch for the rhythm guitar--and, of course, the fact that "Mess of Help" coming in on the heels of "Surf's Up," which was given a really good ride by FM disk jockeys and reset the audience receptivity in a totally different direction, was a classic WTF? moment in May 1972.

The right re-arrangement for modern radio, with a singer taking Carpenter's direction but singing the living sh*t out of it (as he only does in the last verse...), with just enough "pretty" left in with more orthodox backing vocals, would have a fighting chance to light up the post-modern pinball machine. But the "She don't know..." part has got to have more oomph first time around, and still get bigger and badder at the end a la the original. You need to kick ass on both the verses and the middle-8/tag to keep a flow in their river...Carpenter kicks it in the former, but he's just not quite there on the latter (though I like his high voices in the tag, adds a register that is taken up by the high fiddle part in the original). His AOR guitar solo is also going in the right direction, just needs more flash.
KDS
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »

Maybe Nate Ruess could do a version of Hold On Dear Brother.  I thought he did a great job with Brian on Soundstage, and was bummed they left it off the CD.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »

'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' because I think the feeling is pretty universal, plus it's a relatively little known song to the world.

This is from the "Here Today! The Songs of Brian Wilson" compilation from two years ago.

Louis Phillipe and Dean Broderick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqHfURZFzkI

I love Louis Philippe's stuff. Here's his version of 'Guess I'm Dumb' from one of his earliest albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7RD1f4-_4U&index=3&list=PLJ0LdtdIAOsiEFWgfl2SrImbFVM9jcCLD
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:14:31 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »

It seems that Surfin' USA is a hit every time they rerelease it.  Go ahead and top 100 for sure to 20 probabaly!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx