gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys Song Would Be A Hit If Updated?  (Read 6443 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:10 AM »

I just heard Disturbed's version of Simon & Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence, I hate it.

But Van Halen had a hit with the Kinks' "You Really Got Me", Limp Bizkit covered The Whos "Behind Blue Eyes" and Metallica covered Bob Seger's "Turn The Page".

Which band could cover a Beach Boys song and make it a hit? Or at least get some substantial air play from it.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:30:07 AM »

I just heard Disturbed's version of Simon & Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence, I hate it.

But Van Halen had a hit with the Kinks' "You Really Got Me", Limp Bizkit covered The Whos "Behind Blue Eyes" and Metallica covered Bob Seger's "Turn The Page".

Which band could cover a Beach Boys song and make it a hit? Or at least get some substantial air play from it.

I agree that Disturbed's version of SOS is bad (and I liked their versions of Tears for Fears Shout and Genesis's Land of Confusion). 

I like a cover of just about any BB hit by a popular band would get airplay.  Covers are an easy way for a band to get on the radio. 

There's a band called Ghost that I think would do a great job with a BB song.  I was thinking Cabinessence, but I don't think that song is popular enough to get airplay.  Perhaps H & V or Sloop John B.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:33:13 AM »

I think Holland's version of "Big Sur" would be a good country song.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »

Whenever I hear somebody cover a Beach Boys song, I always wish I were listening to the original.

To your question, though, what do you mean by updated? If it means a re-record, no thanks. Chicago started doing that a few years ago (I think for copyright reasons), and the re-records suck.

I'm totally cool with new mixes or tweaks/additions to original recordings, though.  I'd love to see a revamped version of "This Whole World" with the following additions and changes:

1. Re-recorded backing track.
2. Fix the hiss and brittle sound of Brian's falsetto ooh's on the bridge. Augment that part with new vocals from (Matt?) if necessary.
3. Somehow add a "star light, star bright" section that appeared in the American Spring version. Maybe have Al record that?
4. Finish the track with the extended outro from the a capella version from MiC.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »

A weird hybrid reworking of "This Whole World" incorporating the "Spring" parts and whatnot would no doubt be interesting for superfans.

I don't think such a Frankenstein creation would be a hit single, though.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »

A weird hybrid reworking of "This Whole World" incorporating the "Spring" parts and whatnot would no doubt be interesting for superfans.

I don't think such a Frankenstein creation would be a hit single, though.

Yeah, I thought about that once I re-read the thread title. Smiley 'Twould be a hit for me, though.  My favorite Beach Boys song, but also maddening to listen to due to the poor production (see my point about hiss and brittle).
KDS
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:06:38 AM »

Whenever I hear somebody cover a Beach Boys song, I always wish I were listening to the original.

To your question, though, what do you mean by updated? If it means a re-record, no thanks. Chicago started doing that a few years ago (I think for copyright reasons), and the re-records suck.

I'm totally cool with new mixes or tweaks/additions to original recordings, though.  I'd love to see a revamped version of "This Whole World" with the following additions and changes:

2. Fix the hiss and brittle sound of Brian's falsetto ooh's on the bridge. Augment that part with new vocals from (Matt?) if necessary.
3. Somehow add a "star light, star bright" section that appeared in the American Spring version. Maybe have Al record that?
4. Finish the track with the extended outro from the a capella version from MiC.

I think the OP's referring to covers, not remakes, which I agree are extremely lame (Surfin 1992 anyone???)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 03:59:06 AM »

If a fairly popular group (by today's standards) recorded a cover of a Beach Boys song, like in the examples I gave. Not a note-for-note cover, but they put their own spin on the song.  I was thinking more in the rock/pop genre. No rap or hip/hop.

Ideally, it would be post 1965 and should not include solo stuff or anything from TWGMTR. The Beach Boys have a HUGE catalog, yet I have a very difficult time trying to imagine another group covering anything they have done, and making it a hit.

Plenty of well-known artists have covered Beach Boys songs, but never approach the originals.

KDS
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 05:19:09 AM »

If a fairly popular group (by today's standards) recorded a cover of a Beach Boys song, like in the examples I gave. Not a note-for-note cover, but they put their own spin on the song.  I was thinking more in the rock/pop genre. No rap or hip/hop.

Ideally, it would be post 1965 and should not include solo stuff or anything from TWGMTR. The Beach Boys have a HUGE catalog, yet I have a very difficult time trying to imagine another group covering anything they have done, and making it a hit.

Plenty of well-known artists have covered Beach Boys songs, but never approach the originals.

I think if the song were to get airplay, it would have to be a well known BB song.  A contemporary rock group covering At My Window, for example, probably wouldn't garner any attention.  However, I could forsee somebody rocking up Sail On Sailor or Heroes and Villains and having a radio hit. 
Scaroline No
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 05:48:06 AM »

I bet Foster the People could do a really great cover of All I Wanna Do.

Not that I want that to happen, because I think it's perfect as it is. But I think they'd do a nice cover and it would be interesting to hear.

I already think that song sounds super current. I've played it for friends a few times who aren't familiar with the BB's 70's catalogue, and they're always like "whoa... that could easily be on the radio right now".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:48:54 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:31 AM »

Caroline No.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »

'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' because I think the feeling is pretty universal, plus it's a relatively little known song to the world.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »

Taylor Swift could do a cover of 'Teeter Totter Love' and it'd be a hit

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »

^  lmao !!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »

I've been thinking about all the BB covers I've heard, and really the only one I can stomach is She and Him's cover of "God Only Knows." And even with that one, I still wish I was hearing the original.  

Which reminds me of the version the BBC did a couple years ago.  I dug the instrumentation and the video production, but detested the vocals (except Brian's parts).  Wish I could find that instrumental. No thanks on the version with the vocals.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 11:34:21 AM »

I've been thinking about all the BB covers I've heard, and really the only one I can stomach is She and Him's cover of "God Only Knows." And even with that one, I still wish I was hearing the original.  

Yeah I don't think I've ever heard a good Beach Boys cover besides this guys 'Caroline, No'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_6bpunKQA4
But it's not like he sings or anything

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Scaroline No
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »

Yeah I don't think I've ever heard a good Beach Boys cover besides this guys 'Caroline, No'

What about David Lee Roth's version of California Girls? Not better than the original, but pretty fun though. Of course I haven't heard it since the 80s, and I'm basing my opinion 100% on the fact that the last time I heard it I was like 12 and hadn't really developed a "taste" in music yet.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »

What about David Lee Roth's version of California Girls? Not better than the original, but pretty fun though. Of course I haven't heard it since the 80s, and I'm basing my opinion 100% on the fact that the last time I heard it I was like 12 and hadn't really developed a "taste" in music yet.

It may be fun, but it's not fun fun fun. Which is the difference between the Beach Boys and everyone else (and between Fun Fun Fun and all their other songs).

Scaroline No
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »

It may be fun, but it's not fun fun fun. Which is the difference between the Beach Boys and everyone else (and between Fun Fun Fun and all their other songs).
Grin
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 01:50:24 PM »

No BB songs that I can really think of.  They are basically culturally irrelevant in this day and age, it pains me to say, except perhaps among the Geritol crowd.  Maybe "Wipeout", but that is a stretch to call that a BB's song even that would not be successful based upon surf music or Beach Boys bona fides...
KDS
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »

It's still a solid version.  I just heard it not that long ago. 
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »

'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' because I think the feeling is pretty universal, plus it's a relatively little known song to the world.

This is from the "Here Today! The Songs of Brian Wilson" compilation from two years ago.

Louis Phillipe and Dean Broderick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqHfURZFzkI
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 04:26:23 PM »

A "hit"?
C'mon. We're smarter than that, guys.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »

Reality check: The music business as of January 2017 is a sham in terms of "singles" and the old notion of a hit song. Albums are different, perhaps more fair in the tabulation of actual sales and download numbers reflecting in the charts, but a hit single? Beyonce could release 3 minutes of her kid throwing a tantrum set to an 808 drumbeat and a bass loop, and it would be a fucking top ten with the way airplay and sales are so badly misread and used to chart songs today.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »

Hold on..."no thanks" to a re-record, yet you want a re-recorded backing track for This Whole World? How does that line up logically, not to mention aesthetically if you're replacing the entire (terrific IMO) groove and heartbeat of the record itself?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx